Thread: Signature Image Size Limit

Default Signature Image Size Limit

As the thread title suggests, I'm asking that the signature image size limit be increased. It's really quite difficult to get an image to look reasonable at all if it has to be under 10k, a fact which is much more in the spotlight now with the popularity of the M2TW signature giveaway thread. I understand that the original reason for this policy was likely due to the slow speed of the Internet at the time, as 56k was quite prevalent (I gather this from older forum members who seem to say the limit has never changed). However, the vast majority of forum goers are now broadband users, and more than capable of handling much larger signature images. There should be no bandwidth consideration for the Org, as people are hosting the signature pictures on various other sites, which will themselves bear the burden of increased bandwidth. I also point out that our few remaining 56k users likely have disabled pictures entirely in their preferences due to the prevalence of images much larger than 10k in many Org threads... meaning their forum experience won't be negatively impacted by a change in this area.

The issue of how much more is reasonable is one that I'll leave primarily to the discussion here, as I'm sure there will be no shortage of opinions on the matter to fuel discussion. Now... Discuss!

See my Sig+ below! (Don't see it? Get info here)

Post Re: Signature Image Size Limit

Hi Foz,
    Although I'm sorry to say that I have no opinion on this matter, this issue doesn't effect me, I do feel that newer members with 56k connections may not know how to disable pictures or use a skin which is specially designed for slower connections. However, if this was added to the very useful Guild FAQ, how to change this very useful setting may be better acknowledged among those who are still getting to grips with the quite complex User Control Panel - it took me a short while to figure it out when I joined. Sadly though, not everybody takes the time to read it in it's entirety, so the feature's existence still may not be noticed. Guests, also with a 56k connection, may also suffer some problems with slightly larger signatures as they, most unfortunately, cannot modify their settings unless they register onto the site. I do, however, understand your perspective on the matter and I do hope that, eventually, a positive resolution, that is also a compromise, is agreed to.
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 06-04-2007 at 20:38.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Default Re: Signature Image Size Limit

Hello Foz,

Please check https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...t=extra+sig%2A post 11 is the point we're at now. If those are a problem, please use that topic to open the discussion again.

This forum tries to serve the very narrow banders, the narrowbanders and the broadbanders.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Tosa, is there any chance that we can get signatures disabled by default on new accounts but the size limit raised on the normal sig (I'm thinking to around 250kb)?

This should cater to both sides of this debate, as those who do not wish to download and view sigs don't have to search around for the 'off' key, whereas those who do, can and will.
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Hello sapi,

Signatures are also used to advertise a mod, recruit players and things like that. Turning sigs off by default is likely going to result in many left in the dark.

One visit https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/profi...do=editoptions to turn BroadBand on, one other to set the Extra Picture https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/profi...do=editprofile (which is set to 100 kb now) will do the trick.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The problem with the BB pictures are that many members have not changed them. It was annoying to have so many default pictures that just made the load slower and the page bigger. BB pictures do not get much circulation.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Oh, I agree that we do have a system in place; I'm just trying to think of a way to do this that will please both camps.

Maybe a default text-only sig, swapped with a broadband picture on enabling 'true' sigs (this would be pretty much identical to the current system, but with more public awareness)...

I don't know
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Please keep the discussion about extra sig pictures in one topic https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=76049
    Ja mata

TosaInu