Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your Top 5 upcoming games.

Default Re: Your Top 5 upcoming games.

Spiffy:

Sins of a Solar Empire (real-time 4X space empire game)
    Dragon Age (Bioware RPG)
    Alan Wake (free-roaming psychological thriller)
    Assassin's Creed (sneaky-stabby action adventure)
    Bioshock (Bioshock)

These seem to be pretty solid upcoming titles.

Iffy:

World in Conflict (rehash of Ground Control with bits of CoH and C&C thrown in?)
    Starcraft 2 (rehash of Starcraft? ...well, duh)
    Hellgate: London (wonky "elite" pay-to-play scheme for "additional content"?)
    Fury (PvP-only online RPG; can be anywhere from good to terrible)
    Overlord (another attempt at a humorous pseudo-evil game?)
    Disciples 3 (can 3D graphics preserve the wonderful art direction of D2?)

By rehashes I mean that those games are likely just refinements of the genre and probably don't break any new ground. Not necessarily a bad thing, but in such cases it's all about polish and presentation.

I really hope Disciples 3 isn't the train wreck that I think it will be.
    Innovative Soy Solutions (TM) for a dynamically changing business environment.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Gah! I forgot about Sins of a Solar Empire. That one does look pretty cool, even I am wary about the fact it's in real-time. Still, it looks like it could be good.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

There's nothing I really *must have* coming out, I've been disappointed too many times, but...

Bioshock
    looks very promising
    Assasin's Creed is from the team that made sands Of Time (minus some key talent I'm afraid) and ahs an interesting premise, might be great
    Dawn of War 2 might be great if they manage to stick to the winning formula and change enough to keep it fresh (and please get rid of the unit limits...)
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    and I really want Assassin's Creed, but I won't buy a PS3 just for that.
    Play it on the 360 then

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

One of my Top 5 just slipped into Duke Nukem Forever territory:

Spore has been "delayed indefinitely", but reached for comment today, Electronic Arts says that "Spore has slipped out of fiscal 08 and into fiscal 09". Either way you cut it, it means that the game we've all been waiting to play on our computers isn't coming anytime soon.

With all of the videos we've seen of gameplay showing off the different stages of Spore development and all of the media stops Will Wright has done talking about the game, it's kinda hard to figure out exactly what is taking so long. Could they be trying to port it to a console for a dual launch? Did the game need a major overhaul? Does Will Wright hate me and just like torturing me with some sort of non-existent Sisyphusian game?

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crandaeolon
    Iffy:

World in Conflict (rehash of Ground Control with bits of CoH and C&C thrown in?)
    Starcraft 2 (rehash of Starcraft? ...well, duh)
    Hellgate: London (wonky "elite" pay-to-play scheme for "additional content"?)
    Fury (PvP-only online RPG; can be anywhere from good to terrible)
    Overlord (another attempt at a humorous pseudo-evil game?)
    Disciples 3 (can 3D graphics preserve the wonderful art direction of D2?)
    Gah! I forgot Overlord. The demo is out, need to give it a trial.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Lol Spore and EA make me laugh. 2009??? LMAO I'm glad I wasn't looking forward to it...
    I support Israel

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    One of my Top 5 just slipped into Duke Nukem Forever territory:

Spore has been "delayed indefinitely", but reached for comment today, Electronic Arts says that "Spore has slipped out of fiscal 08 and into fiscal 09". Either way you cut it, it means that the game we've all been waiting to play on our computers isn't coming anytime soon.

With all of the videos we've seen of gameplay showing off the different stages of Spore development and all of the media stops Will Wright has done talking about the game, it's kinda hard to figure out exactly what is taking so long. Could they be trying to port it to a console for a dual launch? Did the game need a major overhaul? Does Will Wright hate me and just like torturing me with some sort of non-existent Sisyphusian game?
    I guess they figured that would give them enough time to figure out how to include the kitchen sink.

Seriously though, Spore is one of those games that promises to let you do everything. The problem with grandiose games that promise you the moon is that they usually wind up looking pretty on the launch pad until they explode shortly after take off. Methinks Spore might have gone wrong with its feature that allows you to continue the game beyond the planetary level. Simulating life and allowing you to play God is nothing new, Spore is essentially a rehash of Wil Wright's old games 'Sim Earth' and 'Sim Life' (albeit taken to an extreme) and then lopped together with an abstract 4X online space empires game for good measure! Anyway I'll wager the AI and 'galactic empires multiplayer' aspect of Spore is what's causing the delays.
    Last edited by Spino; 06-21-2007 at 15:23.
    "Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Your Top 5 upcoming games.

Warhammer Age of Reckoning. I'm still waiting for a MMORPG that doesn't turn into an endless farming and mob-bashing. So well, hopefully, WAR will be that one.

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spino
    I guess they figured that would give them enough time to figure out how to include the kitchen sink.

Seriously though, Spore is one of those games that promises to let you do everything. The problem with grandiose games that promise you the moon is that they usually wind up looking pretty on the launch pad until they explode shortly after take off. Methinks Spore might have gone wrong with its feature that allows you to continue the game beyond the planetary level. Simulating life and allowing you to play God is nothing new, Spore is essentially a rehash of Wil Wright's old games 'Sim Earth' and 'Sim Life' (albeit taken to an extreme) and then lopped together with an abstract 4X online space empires game for good measure! Anyway I'll wager the AI and 'galactic empires multiplayer' aspect of Spore is what's causing the delays.
    Bah!! Blasphemy!!! No one doubts Will Wright...

Just joking, but from the looks of it from all of the preview and the success of the Sims that I think the worst the game will be is a dissapointment due to extremely hyped hopes.
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

Quote Originally Posted by Xdeathfire

3. Hellgate London because its being developed by the guys who made Diablo II and you can probably agree that Diablo II was pretty well made wasn't it??

This is true, but Diablo II also wasn't falsely advertised by the devs as MMORPG; yet Hellgate London is. Despite Hellgate being a 100% instanced game that is no more of a MMORPG than Diablo II was. In addition to that, Diablo II did not give you gimped gameplay and gimped character appearance if you do not pay a monthly fee for it, and Hellgate London does. Hellgate London to me is looking to be a huge ripoff. I hate when devs/publishers lie and mislead consumers by calling 100% instanced games MMORPGs - they are not MMORPGs. And hence trying to charge a monthly fee for them - like Hellgate London does - is ridiculous.

I wasn't sure to start slamming this game now or wait til it hits retail but due to my hate of deceptive marketing that is being promoted to consumers via this title, I decided might as well do both.

For those who do not want to read my long post above then here is a simple Penny Arcade comic that makes the same point:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/05/11
    Last edited by Navaros; 06-23-2007 at 08:12.

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lehesu
    I really hope Disciples 3 isn't the train wreck that I think it will be.
    That would totally suck...and likely.

Heroes V didn't turn out that good either. Disciples' charm has always been its rustic and detailed art; something which they wouldn't likely be reproducing in generic 3D lameness this time around.

Combat Mission: Shock Force
    MTW Kingdoms
    Bioshock
    Crysis
    A N Other

CMSF looks to be the bee's knees in terms of both realtime and WEGO modern day combat simulation and should keep me busy for several years to come. Kingdoms should also be good fun, of course. As for the others, well we'll just have to see if they live up to the hype.

1. Metroid Prime 3
    2. Mass Effect
    3. M2TW: Kingdoms
    4. Blue Dragon
    5. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Too bad I can't enjoy any of them here :mecry:

Azi
    "If you don't want to work, become a reporter. That awful power, the public opinion of the nation, was created by a horde of self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditch digging and shoemaking and fetched up journalism on their way to the poorhouse."
    Mark Twain 1881

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Has anyone mentioned Stranglehold ?

A 21th century Max Payne with John Woo involved ? If they can get this right it will be an incredible game !
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

1. Starcraft II
    2. Unknown WOW expansion
    3. MTW II: Kingdoms
    4. Halo 3
    5. Assasin's Creed (looks very interesting...)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12