Thread: Feedback, comment, constructive criticism and the exchange thereof

Question Feedback, comment, constructive criticism and the exchange thereof

First of all, hello. I'm kind of new here, as a member that is. Lurking has been my specialty for a few weeks.

A very short while ago (in fact, it was yesterday) I played my first MP game against a friend of mine, and it was the most intense battle I ever played. (in my experience, that is. If you look at the replay you probably concider it quite a lame battle. Anyway.)

But in order to get better, I would like to receive feedback on the battle, points of criticism and points of possible improvement (lots of room for improvement!). And what would be a better place to do that than in the Guide To MP?!

So what follows here is a battle report as well as a replay of said battle. I will try to pick out a few mistakes myself (to show willing. AND to make myself look less like a dork.) and will wait in great anticipation for the constructive criticism and so on and so forth. :)

Of course, this thread is open to anyone who feels that he (or she!) requires feedback on his (or her!) playing style. So post ahead!

(Um. I'm not entirely sure if this really belongs in this forum. I opted for this particular forum because it has a lot to with with tactics and MP, and getting better at playing MP games. If anyone decides, though, that this thread should not be in this particular forum, please inform me so and I will ask a moderator to move it for me. Cheers!)

------------------------------------------

Replay: http://www.sendspace.com/file/i3vu85

Right.

This battle was fought between me (Milan) and a friend of mine (Venice). We both have had the game for not much longer than a few weeks, and allthough I have some experience fighting the AI in RTW, it is not much and would not at all stand against a more experienced player.

The battle commences.

I put my 4 armoured sargeants (AS) in a line, with a Corroccio Standard (CS) behind. In front of them were 4 units of Genoese Crossbowmen (GXM). My 2 grand bombards (GB) were positioned to the side. My left flank consisted of 1 Mounted Crossbowmen (MXB) and 1 General (Gen). My right flank consisted of 1 MXB and one Famiglia Ducale (Fam).

First look: The first few seconds we were probably checking out eachother's army. Because nothing very much was happening, I ordered my entire line forwards, so their ranks would be in range of my GB, and eventually my GXM.

To stir things up, I brought forth my left flank, the Gen and the MBX, to get closer to Venice's right flank. He sent two spearmen to deal with this potential threat. He let them wander off quite a distance, though, and they fell victim to the repeatedly charging of my Gen while under fire by the MBX.

Meanwhile, my right flank (Fam and MBX) were being ordered forward as well. The GB begin to fire at the Venetian ranks. I am pretty sure I ordered my right MBX to circle round and fire some at the massed venetian units, but for some reason the got too close and got engaged by spearman. A temporary rout (the reformed after a short distance) was the result.

Venice sends a unit of Men at arms (MAA) to deal with my Gen and MBX, who have now almost entirely swept the AS from the map.

Venice sends another unit to deal with my RIGHT flank, but is outrunned by the MBX, and gets decimated by my GXM. They rout, probably because at about this time the Venetian Gen was killed by a GB shot.

Now, while my Gen was already on his way back to the main lines, my left MBX got engaged by enemy MAA. I withdrew them to my main battle line as well. Venice seems to forget about those MAA and they stand there admiring the lovely scenery.

Venice does two things at this point. He orders his archers forward and orders one unit of SA to deal with my GB. I actually let my GB be engaged, which was a mistake, but I quickly fended them off with Fam. He then sends in two MAA units, which are dealt with by the Fam, Gen, and 2 SA units. They rout.

The MAA who had been admiring the scenery now came up from behind. I actually forgot about them, which is of course a bad thing to do, I know. They charge a unit of GXM, but they are routed by 2 AS.

All MAA are routed at this time.

Venice underestimates, at this point, the effect of GXM on charging infantry. Dismounted men at arms (DMAA) rout quickly.

I quickly reform my lines and gather my Cavalry on my right flank. The GB are back in business and shoot merrily away. 1 last charge by MAA is fended off by one unit of SA.

venice sends all his DMAA end AS forward at this point, and now a last battle ensues. His heavy infantry is gradually weakening my AS, even when my AS are reinforced by the men of the CS. Some venetian archers (VA) are routed by my now combined heavy cav, while Venice continues slaughtering my men. I send 2 units of GXM to fire into their backs. My CAV routs a flanking unit of DMAA, while 2 units of AS fight VA and one unit of DMAA still guarding them.

My CAV, at this point, charges into the backs of enemy in the main battle, routing them just after they routed my main battle force. Just in time, or a little bit too late?

After that, it was basically a mop up. There were some last tiny shootouts, a few small fights, but the game was over in my favour.

--------------------------------------

I'm sorry for the long read!

Ok, I'm looking forward to getting the feedback I so sorely need. Please refrain from saying that I (or my opponent) are bad, though. I KNOW we're bad, and that's exactly what I'm trying to remedy here!

Default Re: Feedback, comment, constructive criticism and the exchange thereof

if you won what advice do you need?

only thing i can say clearly is that bombards are worthless because they are terribly inaccurate. go for ballistas or catapults if you must have artillery in high era.

in late era best to use serpentines, monster ribaults, rocket launchers or culverin. either accuracy or rapid mass firepower. somethin bombards simply dont have of either.

Default Re: Feedback, comment, constructive criticism and the exchange thereof

Even when you win there could be stuff that you might have done better. :)

There're a few battles which I lost I may be posting up here later tonight, I will definately need feedback on those.