Thread: adding known generals and kings

Default adding known generals and kings

Hi! i was wondering if it were possible that throught scripting you could add certain characters? Like Hannibal becoming 18 in the actual year that he became 18 and becoming a general with great possibilites? and to add other important characters like Philip V, Tigranes, Mithirad, Scipio Africanus and so on? Of course with their biographys included

I noticed tha Hamilcar appears with Carthage about 15 years in the game with his biography, so i was wondering if there were plans to make other historical characters to appear in game

Cheers
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

Default Re: adding known generals and kings

Yes, they can be added, but we won't. EB is not about rigidly portraying history for 300 years, but about giving you a start date to work with. Other generals like Pompey or Hannibal gained prominence because of specific situations and we will not force that on the player.

What if Hamilcar died?
    What if there was no Social War for Pompey to distinguish himself?

See what I mean?

so no Julius Caesar? ah big shame, i was so lucking forward to conquering gaul with him. I think it would be great if more historical characters were added, i dont see how it would restrict the campaign as different players could use them in different ways.

Asia ton Barbaron mapper Member Pharnakes's Avatar

Smile Re: adding known generals and kings

Do a minimod, I think quite a few people would be interested.
    Asia ton Barbaron The new eastern mod for eb!

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar89
    so no Julius Caesar? ah big shame, i was so lucking forward to conquering gaul with him. I think it would be great if more historical characters were added, i dont see how it would restrict the campaign as different players could use them in different ways.
    Does anyone read Sci-Fi books anymore?

If you alter an event in history what follows afterwards has a high probability of being changed. To make history happen exactly as it occurred would greatly restrict the player.

Rent this movie now: http://imdb.com/title/tt0390384/

It'd still be quite fun to have people like that pop up every now and then though, afterall, as he said you don't have to use them. But for example, I know alot of people try to do historical roman expansion, in which case a few figures like that would be fun, no?

Ohh, and that link dosen't work for me, but let me geuss: back to the future?
    Last edited by Pharnakes; 06-07-2007 at 20:48.

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

The movie is Primer, although Back to the Future could work as well

And look, someone needs to put an end to this whole "playing Rome with historic expansion" thing. There is a big difference between playing Rome historically and artificially mimicking Roman expansion.

Excluding historical events and leaders is legitim, but not the only solution. It worked great in paradox games like EU2, HOI or Vicky.

I like the current system and it seems quite sufficient in following through on the ideals of EB. Being able to start with the faction leaders is quite cool though, especially with Pyrrhus.

The problem is that if you put in these forced circumstances things become a lot more problematic. I,e if in 218 there was an automatic war forced between Rome and Carthage and Hannibal appeared in Spain, what would happen if Rome was near destruction by the hands of the Gauls and Epirotes?

Just adding historic figures at certain times wouldn't be too hard to put in I'd imagine, so making a minimod as was suggested would certainly get some support.

Overall though, the game is good how it is in regards to this. I find it more fun being able to make a name for my own generals than fulfilling what someone else did in history.

The possibility for those characters to exist if the same or closely related events take place seems to be an important part of history. Carthage would have probably had a very, very hard time threatening Rome without a great, talented general like Hannibal... and super-traited generals in EB seem to be rarer than in real life, but then, maybe I just suck. ;)

EB Token Radical Member QwertyMIDX's Avatar

They're pretty rare in history too, remember you only control one faction out of 21. How many great generals can you think of between 272 BC and 14 AD? Divide that number by 21 and that should be roughly your odds of getting one.
    History is for the future not the past. The dead don't read.

Operam et vitam do Europae Barbarorum.

History does not repeat itself. The historians repeat one another. - Max Beerbohm

Yes, but It would still be just a little bit of harmless fun, wouldn't it?

Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

Megas Alexandros's heir Member Spoofa's Avatar

like you said, if you want it make it a mini-mod, I find the current system 110% acceptable (meaning its better then acceptable ) I might find it interesting if not already in EB to have the possibility to have the names of these generals, but they shouldnt be scripted in to appear with 10 command stars or whatever deemed fit for the general.

It would make sense to make such a minimod for Romani players.. I guess we could think of quite a lot interesting roman generals and roman opponents after Pyrrhus.

Is it possible to spawn familiy member by script? I do not think so. It will be much less fun to have Hannibal and Caesar and not be able to make him faction leader.

Hamilcar is slightly different case, as he is already born at the game start, and as we know exactly which turn does he comes of age we can give him proper traits.

EB ship system destroyer and Makedonia FC

Quote Originally Posted by abou
    What if there was no Social War for Pompey to distinguish himself?
    I thought Pompey came to prominance after the Social War fighting for Sulla in his war with the Marian forces after Sulla got back for defeating Mithridates VI in The First Mithridatic War.
    All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Quote Originally Posted by O'ETAIPOS
    Is it possible to spawn familiy member by script? I do not think so.
    You're correct.
    The truth is the most valuable thing we have. Let us economize it. - Mark Twain

It is certainly possible.Check the docudemon files.But this character will not be added to your family tree.
    In Vino Veritas!

Quote Originally Posted by Barigos
    But this character will not be added to your family tree.
    This is exactly the point O'ETAIPOS was trying to make.
    The truth is the most valuable thing we have. Let us economize it. - Mark Twain

Seems I misunderstood what he was saying:)
    In Vino Veritas!

It would still be worth it though. Even Hannibal wasnt a faction leader, and Caesar just barely.