Thread: Rendition on trial

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Default Rendition on trial

The trial of 26 CIA agents accused of kidnapping has started in Italy.

The process of rendition has some tradition, and in certain extreme cases, an argument can be made for it - though not for the torture that inevitably follows. Extradition agreements may not exist with a particular regime, for example. I can see a strong argument for kidnapping a suspect to be brought to the US for trial under due process. However, as the article notes, the practice has soared since 9-11, not to try suspects but to render them particularly to countries where torture is widespread.

Great damage has again been caused to many relationships that actually further the efforts against terrorism for little if any, gain. One wonders how this will ever stop.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The war on terror: Inside the dark world of rendition

An Italian court will today begin hearing a case against 26 American agents accused of kidnapping the Imam of Milan's most important mosque. The case promises to expose the truth about America's rendition policy.

By Peter Popham and Jerome Taylor
    Published: 08 June 2007

Shortly before noon on 17 February 2003, the bulky, bearded figure of the Imam of Milan's most important mosque, Abu Omar, was noticed by a woman called Merfat Rezk.

Wearing traditional Arab dress, he was walking down Via Guerzoni towards his mosque. Ms Rezk also saw a man of European appearance wearing sunglasses and standing on the street, talking into a mobile phone. Moments later there was a loud bang, and a light-coloured van that had been parked across the pavement took off at high speed. The Arabic looking man and the man with sunglasses were nowhere to be seen.

Inside the van, the Egyptian cleric was confronted by men "wearing uniforms similar to those worn by the special forces", as he later wrote, men "who never spoke" but blindfolded his eyes and bound him hand and foot with gaffer tape. When he put up a fight, he was "severely beaten", until he began to foam at the mouth and became incontinent.

The van took him at speed to the Aviano airbase at the foot of the Alps, shared by the US and Italian militaries, where in a "small grey room" he was confronted by his captors. "They stood me upright and untied the plastic tape from my feet," he wrote. "Then they started to remove my clothes and the tape that bound my hands. I guess they used some instruments to tear off my clothes because I did not feel their hands touch me.

"They put new clothes on me and removed the blindfold... In a matter of seconds they took photographs of me and covered both my head and face with a wide blindfold that only exposed my nose and mouth. They also tied my hands to my back and feet with plastic ropes. I was then taken on to an aeroplane."

The imam, whose full name is Hassan Mustafa Osama Nasr, had become a victim of the process known as "extraordinary rendition", the kidnapping of suspected terrorists from their homes in Europe and rapid removal to countries known for their brutal prison regimes.

From Italy, Mr Nasr was flown to Germany and then to Cairo.

A "great Pasha", in Mr Nasr's words, a high-ranking official, asked him if he was willing to return to Italy as an informer. When he refused he was taken to a notorious Cairo prison and tortured. "I was hung like slaughtered cattle," he wrote, "head down, feet up, hands tied behind my back, feet tied together, and I was exposed to electric shocks all over my body." His incarceration lasted for four years.

The American CIA agents accused of kidnapping Mr Nasr go on trial in Milan today. It is the first time in living memory that CIA agents have been prosecuted for non-espionage offences. None of the 26 Americans, most of them indicted under the false names on the passports they used to enter Italy, will be in court for the trial. None of them will go to prison if convicted. But what the trial will do is to expose in detail the extraordinary arrogance of the remaining superpower, its readiness to grab people legally resident in Europe, immobilise and manacle them and fly them off to be tortured.

Mr Nasr had come face to face, briefly and shockingly, with one of the tough, highly professional and lavishly pampered American special forces teams that brought the War on Terror - in its guerrilla manifestation - to the streets of Europe's cities.

"One of the primary European objections to the concept of a 'war' on terrorism," wrote David Ruivkin Jnr and Lee Casey in The New York Times earlier this year, "is the fear that US forces will treat Europe as a battlefield... Extraordinary rendition gets uncomfortably close to US military operations on European streets."

The phrase and the fact of extraordinary rendition became public knowledge only in 2003, but American anti-terrorism units had been forcibly extraditing suspected Islamists to states with records of torture and extrajudicial executions long before 9/11. The deployment of secret paramilitary squads move captives in CIA-owned or financed planes was first perfected during the late 1990s in the Balkans.

The first known rendition by the US government to a third country with a record of torture occurred in 1995 when an Egyptian Islamist, Talaat Fouad Qassem, went missing while visiting Croatia. Mr Qassem, the leader of a banned Islamic group in Egypt, had been sentenced to death in absentia three years earlier by a military tribunal. The Croatian authorities had originally apprehended Mr Qassem on an immigration charge, but his transport to Egypt was arranged by the US and he was interrogated by Americans on board a ship in the Adriatic before sending him to Cairo's torturers.

Three years later, following reports that an Egyptian terrorist cell based in Albania were planning to attack US embassies in the region, a CIA paramilitary team arranged the arrest and rendition of a further six Islamic militants to Egypt. Many of them, including Mr Qassem, have not been heard of since. Those who have say they were tortured horrendously.

But it was after the terror attacks on New York and Washington on 9 September 2001, when "the gloves came off", that the phenomenon exploded. As Cofer Black, onetime director of the CIA's counterterrorist unit, put it: "There was a before-9/11 and an after-9/11."

Sweden saw one of the earliest examples of a post-9/11 rendition, three months after the attacks on the US. Two Egyptian nationals who were claiming asylum there, Ahmed Agiza and Mohammed al-Zery, suddenly disappeared on 18 December 2001. They were flown back to Egypt. Subsequently both said they were tortured.

All those who have lived to tell the tale of the rendition process have given remarkably similar accounts of the brutal, but slick, well-rehearsed procedure that leaves a detainee trussed up and and incapacitated within three to five minutes.

Clara Gutteridge, from the charity Reprieve, which provides legal help for many of them, says the paramilitary teams are highly trained professionals. "They are not necessarily the same people each time," she says. "But what we do see is the 'rendition methodology' ... Namely, a team of 12 to 13 people, dressed in black T-shirts, wearing ski masks and Timberland boots who carry out the actual rendition. The speed at which they operate, the uniformity of the process, and the general level of professionalism is striking. Let's not forget that what they are doing is in plain language kidnap and forcible transfer to torture.

"As we have no reason to believe that any of our clients were rendered by the same team of people, there's already potential for multiple investigations... and the chain of command responsibility goes right to the top."

And when these seasoned teams have done their work, they kick back. Three of the team who who "boosted" Mr Qassem from Milan checked into the Hilton on Via Luigi Galvani, where rooms cost about £160 a night. Others stayed in the Marriott, Sheraton and Westin hotels. Some of them even presented their frequent-flier ID cards for endorsement. The combined hotel bill for the team's short stay in the city was at least $150,000 (£78,000).

Renditions have been happening at least as far back as the Reagan administration. From the point of view of other countries, they are an offensive demonstrations of American prepotency whenever and wherever they happen.

Arguably there are situations where they are justifiable - and fully legal under American law. When Ramzi Yousef, the man who bombed the World Trade Centre in 1993 and planned to blow up a dozen American jet liners over the Pacific, was seized in Islamabad, the Pakistani government was happy to see him flown secretly to the US. "In a perfect world," wrote Daniel Benjamin in Slate, "renditions would not be necessary. But renditions reflect the reality that dangerous people turn up with some frequency in countries with inadequate legal systems that need to shield their co-operation with the United States from domestic opposition."

But then renditions became a way of outsourcing torture. And not the "handful of the worst terrorists in the planet" of George Tenet's description, but unknown dozens, perhaps hundreds, maybe more than a thousand people. Ahmed Nazief, the Egyptian prime minister, says he is aware of "60 to 70" cases in which Egyptian nationals were seized abroad and flown to Egypt. An investigation by the European Parliament revealed that the CIA had operated more than 1,000 flights through European airspace since 2001.

Amnesty International and other human rights organisations said yesterday that extraordinary renditions continues. They released the names of 39 people who they claim have passed through American custody but whose whereabouts are unknown. For the innocent the story is a tragedy. Even for the non-innocent it is a blazing example of American hypocrisy.

But there is another question to be asked. Did it make America, and the rest of the West, any safer? In the case of Mr Nasr from Milan the answer seems to be a resounding no. Mr Nasr had been given refugee status in Italy in 1997 but the Italian secret services were suspicious of him, and his phones and his home were comprehensively bugged. "We knew everything, everything, everything Abu Omar was up to," a senior Italian law enforcement officer told The Chicago Tribune. One reason Mr Nasr's rendition was carried out in such strict secrecy was to avoid alerting the Italians who were bugging him.

Robert Seldon Lady, the CIA's former Milan chief and the only agent to have gone on the record about the Imam Abu Omar case, claims that he opposed the abduction from the start, but was overruled by the station chief in in Rome; the man's name has never been released, but colleagues describe him as an incense-burning Buddhist, an eccentric figure who maintains a shrine to Jimi Hendrix at the CIA's headquarters.

At the Milan trial, the prosecutor, Armando Spataro, will produce evidence to prove that the Rome CIA chief overstated the threat Mr Nasr posed, in order to get approval for the rendition from his superiors.

"We never got any good [intelligence] product from a rendition," one senior CIA officer told The Chicago Tribune.

The CIA also ruptured a good working relationship with their Italian counterparts. The damage to those relationships is something the CIA broods about now. "That is something I do worry about," Tyler Drumheller, the CIA's chief of covert operations in Europe until 2005, said. "The most important thing, I believe, is that we have to work seamlessly with the European services and all round the world. I admit sometimes we're like a bull in a china shop."

They disappeared, but lived to tell the tale

Khaled al-Masri

The German citizen of Lebanese descent was abducted from Macedonia in early 2003 and rendered to Afghanistan. His "crime" was to share a name with a wanted militant. Mr Masri spent more than a year in Kabul's notorious secret prisons before the US realised they had arrested the wrong person

Abu Omar

Hassan Mustafa Osama Nasr, known as Abu Omar, was under investigation by Italian security for links to terrorism when the CIA kidnapped him in Milan and flew him to his native Egypt in February 2003 where he says he was tortured. His kidnap led to indictments being issued against 26 Americans.

Binyam Muhammad

The Eritrean national and British resident Binyam Muhammad was rendered by the CIA on multiple occasions. He was arrested in Pakistan in April 2002 then was subsequently flown to prisons in Afghanistan and later Morocco where he claims he was severely tortured.

Maher Arar

The rendition of the Canadian national of Syrian origin from New York to Syria where he was horrifically tortured has become one of the best documented examples of an innocent victim of the CIA's program. Both the Canadian and Syrian governments have publicly cleared Mr Arar of any links to terrorism
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

EB II Romani Consul Suffectus Member Zaknafien's Avatar
    Somewhere inside the Military-Industrial Complex

Default Re: Rendition on trial

there was an article about this in, I think it was GQ a couple months ago. It was a great article. Good on the Italian government for not putting up with the CIA's BS.

"urbani, seruate uxores: moechum caluom adducimus. / aurum in Gallia effutuisti, hic sumpsisti mutuum." --Suetonius, Life of Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafien
    Good on the Italian government for not putting up with the CIA's BS.
    Funny, I thought they were in cohoots, but I have to remember its only the U.S. that participates in these little ugly realities, everyone else is forced to go along, to hell with thier soveriegn status.

the fact that rendition has gone on in europe is not entirely the U.S. fault. While it may be a U.S. policy, compliance, acknowledgement, and cooperation must have played a role for it to have been so wide spread and successful.

But dont let me muck up another U.S. evil policy rant, I mean after all the democratically elected leaders of the EU who allowed it to go on were forced to by the overwhelming pressure of the Bush administration.

Good for the italians, lets hope those members of the italian government who helped in the process, and other europeans who helped in the overall rendition program are brought to trial as well.

But that would sell as many papers would it?
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

Odin, I really would like to agree with you here. But, the question is, is rendition necessary in countries where we have extradition agreements? Seriously, if we have real proof of a person being a threat to our or another nations security why secretly kidnap them? Why send them to where they can be tortured, and why do something illegally when we could do the same thing within the onfines of international law? Without the torture bit, which seems to be frowned upon by most civilized nations.

Expediency is never an answer, only an excuse for illegal activity (s). Alienating an ally is never a possitive outcome for any policy. It is obvious this is just another arrogant, unthought out illegal process justified by 9/11. Even though past administrations (as the example of Clinton? 1993) have used rendition, it was either with the knowledge of the nation thats soil we were taking the suspect from, or from a region without an extradition agreement. There is a huge difference.

What we did in Italy is unjustifiable at so many levels of moral national conduct and international law that any attempt to justify it is incomprehensible.

Then again, since the present administration pays no attention to our own laws or the Constitution, why should they concern themselves with the soverienty of others?

Personally, the 9/11 justifys the means and end cause all is getting more than a bit shreaded.
    To forgive bad deeds is Christian; to reward them is Republican. 'MC' Rove
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    ]Clowns to the right of me, Jokers to the left ... here I am - stuck in the middle with you.

Save the Whales. Collect the whole set of them.

Better to have your enemys in the tent pissin' out, than have them outside the tent pissin' in. LBJ

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

Quote Originally Posted by KafirChobee
    Odin, I really would like to agree with you here. But, the question is, is rendition necessary in countries where we have extradition agreements? Seriously, if we have real proof of a person being a threat to our or another nations security why secretly kidnap them? Why send them to where they can be tortured, and why do something illegally when we could do the same thing within the onfines of international law? Without the torture bit, which seems to be frowned upon by most civilized nations.
    Your first question is answered by your second, and that is we dont have "real proof" of them being a threat. I dont think rendition is a spectacular slam dunk policy, by any means, but (and here comes the but), If i have agreement (written or not) with the host country of the individual to grab them, Im all in favor.

I dont believe in torture, unless its proven this person is a threat and has information that will lead to others who are a threat, Sadly bush mucked it up by shipping them off and not lending some modicum of creadability to it by interrogation at the host countries locale (EU could have saved a little face with thier complicity then)

Expediency is never an answer, only an excuse for illegal activity (s). Alienating an ally is never a possitive outcome for any policy

Yes and yes, but my point is whos doing the alienation here? This policy isnt an exclusive U.S. operation, it couldnt be, unless the EU is not aware of US operatives in thier borders, whom they share intelligence with.

It is obvious this is just another arrogant, unthought out illegal process justified by 9/11. Even though past administrations (as the example of Clinton? 1993) have used rendition, it was either with the knowledge of the nation thats soil we were taking the suspect from, or from a region without an extradition agreement. There is a huge difference.
    I agree, my position is that the current rendition program is with the knowledge of the host countries, certainly the italians in the cited link.

What we did in Italy is unjustifiable at so many levels of moral national conduct and international law that any attempt to justify it is incomprehensible.
    Let me say KC, you make very well thought out posts, but from time to time you tuck in absolute statements like these that, if taken seriously make 1. further discussion not necessary, and 2. your position unassailable. Neither of which is condusive to discussion. (I think its in context to my posting my position, if its in reference to the Bush policy as a whole, okay I retract the rebuttal)

Then again, since the present administration pays no attention to our own laws or the Constitution, why should they concern themselves with the soverienty of others?
    Because the caretakers of "the soverienty of others" were in on it. Unless you believe rendition is soely a U.S. operation? By default, your giving the Bush admin and its mechnisms far more credit then I would.
    Last edited by Odin; 06-08-2007 at 20:35.
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

Of course it wasn't solely a US exercise - the native authorities had to be involved. But to what extent was this involvment officially acknowledged? At what level was consent given?

The fact also remains that the ex-head of the CIA in Europe himself has stated that this practice soured the working relationship between the US and the host countries and that, of course, the negative publicity generated by the disclosures is hardly helpful either.
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

Quote Originally Posted by Slyspy
    Of course it wasn't solely a US exercise - the native authorities had to be involved. But to what extent was this involvment officially acknowledged? At what level was consent given?
    Its about 1 am here Im about off to bed, but isnt the former head of italian intelligence part of the inditment right? So that should answer your questions...

Curious the article dosent get around to that part of the equation does it? Its a discussion of the CIA rendition program, exclusively executed by americans on foreign soil. Again I'll reread it later but the presentation of the article is clearly biased and is not an equitable representation of the situation.

Again, hate to break up another seemingly harmless anti us policy posting fella's, but you know this is one of the cases where more then one hand was caught in the cookie jar.

But I'm game, lets expose the whole thing, love to see the BBC/ EU op ed pieces on the evil policies of the compliant and cooperative democratically elected european officials who went along.

The fact also remains that the ex-head of the CIA in Europe himself has stated that this practice soured the working relationship between the US and the host countries and that, of course, the negative publicity generated by the disclosures is hardly helpful either.
    Im sure it did, but in make this admission he indirectly implicates those host countries were aware of the policy.

Was one of them the country you live in (anyone not just you sly)? If so
    Great damage has again been caused to many relationships that actually further the efforts against terrorism for little if any, gain.
    It casts the topic and the article in a little bit different light when everyone is afforded thier portion of the mess.

Sua Sponte

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

I suspect that the US were the movers and shakers in this particular programme and so do alot of others. Hence the emphasis on CIA activity. However where found out I think you'll find that the local agencies have also come in for some flak as accomplices.

In further news the police here in the UK have decided that there is no evidence of rendition flights landing in the UK. Then again they have also refused to investigate. How you can know one without doing the other I don't know.

Edit:

I do not see the anti-US statements which you claim riddle the topic.

Edit:

Oh, I see. You regard it as wrong to criticise US policy.
    Last edited by Slyspy; 06-09-2007 at 15:52.
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

EB II Romani Consul Suffectus Member Zaknafien's Avatar
    Somewhere inside the Military-Industrial Complex

A-Ha, I found the article online. It was from the March issue of GQ. Its very good, I suggest you read it. pdf format.

http://www.matthewacole.com/pdfs/Blowback-GQ.pdf

The main thing here is how sloppy the CIA was, they left their prints all over the operation which allowed Italian cops to ID several of their agents which is why they're now being charged with kidnapping. If they had done it correctly there would have been no problem.
    Last edited by Zaknafien; 06-09-2007 at 16:04.

"urbani, seruate uxores: moechum caluom adducimus. / aurum in Gallia effutuisti, hic sumpsisti mutuum." --Suetonius, Life of Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Slyspy
    Edit:

I do not see the anti-US statements which you claim riddle the topic.

Edit:

Oh, I see. You regard it as wrong to criticise US policy.
    Cute sarcasm, but I'm game.

I have no problem with critcising the US in any policy, if you like check my post history, I do it myself regularly. I do however dislike it when people (posters here, media, governments) are selective in thier choices of what to criticise and fail to give an accrate description of said topic.

Dont take my word for it, have a look at an italian paper it isnt a trial of 26 CIA agents, only is it? Again, this wasnt "U.S. Policy" exclusively, host governments were in on it, like it or not thats how it went down.

By all means critique the U.S. and its polices as long, and as loudly as you like, but by not acknowledging other countries were involved (considering you werent the one to bring that issue up as part of the discussion mate) you devalue your criticism.

I think we've had enough of that for the last few years, I think its time for some of our european friends to belly up to the bar and take thier lumps too.

I do concede they wont be as many, but the rendition program isnt an exclusive CIA/U.S. policy, and I care far to much for you and my other europeans friends credability not to remind of that fact.

Sua Sponte