Thread: Best Campaign You\'ve Played

I would be interested to know what was the best Campaign you've played,and with what clan also how far did it go.

Michael

Senior Member Senior Member ShaiHulud's Avatar

The most interesting campaign I've played was as Oda. I was still new to the game then and faced a Hojo horde in the East and Mori and Shimazu from the West. Titanic defensive battles waged for years with ever dwindling numbers of troops. Shuttling troops from West to East and back to face what seemed to be endless numbers of foe. I lost but it hooked me on STW.

------------------
    Wind fells blossoms, rain
    fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks
    O stranger, Go tell the Spartans that we lie here, obedient to their will.....

Oh yeah! The most exciting campaign I've ever had was Oda too. Tough time garrisoning two borders. Tough time taking and later defending Shinano from Hojo. At one point I actually lost a defensive battle in Shinano (aarrgghhh), which costed me many men. At that time I really was in a dilemma on how to garrison my borders (lack of troops), whether to attack Shinano again, and whether to give it up after (if) capturing it.

Usually the game gets easier / less exciting / even boring after I get about half of Japan. I usually would have enough momentum (and koku) to kill off the remaining clans. In that campaign, at midgame I killed Hojo and his lands went to Takeda, making Takeda pretty strong.

Most boring for me was Uesugi - too easy. Massed archers are a real killer! Hojo too - rich, fast to tech up, secure position.

Imagawa turned out to be easier than I imagined. I guess it's because they start of with all samurai - not a single ashigaru. Plus those Honour 2 archers. But Imagawa is challenging and fun, second to Oda.

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

after reading the book Taiko I decided to play Oda and do my best to follow Oda's history as best I could, right down to the right Taisho in the right season/year in the right province. It was made difficult by the fact that sometimes the random Taisho-creator would put an historic Taisho in with a different unit (Toyotomi in an Samurai-Archer unit, for example). After a while it began to unravel, but things were pretty close; only off by maybe two seasons at the most for 75% of the battles.
    My first attack was an invasion of Imawaga's lands to kill him. Eventually I had to wing it (despite Oda Nobunaga's death in the game, his clan was still strong and didn't faction up, like it did historically) so I just mopped up trying to follow the rest of history as best I could.

The best game i had was my first,i played Hojo on normal and won,it was so much fun to try evrything for the first time.

------------------
    "A WISE MAN ONCE SAID,LETS KICK THAIR ASS!"

My best campaign was with Uesugi on normal. Early in the game I made an alliance with Hojo & Takeda. I then proceeded to attack the rebels next door and fending off the Imagawa. I trusted Hojo a little too much and he backstabbed me by taking Mutsu. I lost all my buildings. Takeda also saw a need to backstab me. The low water mark was when I was down to 2 provinces to my name with no troop producing facilities. My only saving grace was that I had a sizable army for that early in the game. I eventually came back to win the game in the 1560s.

------------------
    Gregoshi
    A Member of Clan Doragon
    This space intentionally left blank

The best campaign I play was with Takeda on normal.

------------------
    A great warrior rarely reveal his true skills....
    A great warrior rarely reveal his true skills....

My best one was
    As Shimatzu on Expert level...with only Ashis units(Ashiguras, Arq´s and muskeeters) Yari Samuraijs and Archers.
    I had fun when i meet the hord
    Took some time to win over the hord but i did
    It was a challange..would recomend it for a try!!

------------------
    May the honour be with you all..........EuroSan the reborned spirit of LinkSan

Ah! Micke Link? That you?

------------------

Surely my greatest campaign was with Imagawa at hard when I becamse shogun with tokugawa ieyasu.

I had many religious rebellions of ikko-ikki (i had become Christian) and I fought hardly to stop them.

That was my greatest accomplishment.

------------------
    Honour to Clan No Fear.

Visit my resource centre at: http://terazawa.totalwar.org

There have been so many great campaigns its hard to remember. But my best campaigns were with the Oda and Takeda.

With my current game(yet to be finished), i've used takeda shingen and takeda katsuyori to single handedly clean up all the rebels in the west and east. Once I struck Lord Hojo in a bridge battle and killed him in a castle assault, his lands went ronin. Then one of my top generals, Yamato something gets killed....he was rank 4....damn.....i allied with everyone else on the map so i could dedicate myself to the eradication of the rebels and the boosting of shingen's rank and battles won(he's at around 85 wins). My original daiymo was killed by some damn ninja, which pissed me off, but hey, i got the shingen, so it really didnt matter too much. Lord Mori was killed by a ninja, which saved him from eventually being killed by me in battle, and his lands went to the Tokugawa-Imagawa, my allies. Since then, I've schooled young Katsuyori, and he and the Shingen have been a deadly force. My ultimate battle against the rebels was in Inaba province. It was a glorious one, saved on my logfiles. The rebel army was comprised of 2520 men, lead by Nagatsuka Hidaharu, a Rank 2 samurai archer general with many units of YA, YS, & SA. My Takeda Army was the combined force of Shingen and Katsuyori's army, (Shingens army was so powerful, Katsuyori's army was never deployed), my army consisted of a rank 7 daiymo, 2 heavy cavalry units of honor 4, 3 honor 4 cavalry archers, Three honor 3 warrior monk units, 2 yari cavalry units of honor 3, 2 naginta units of honor 3 and 2 yari samurai units of honor 3. Katsuyori's army was lead by Katsuyori(Rank 5, i been kicking ass with him), in a Nodachi Samurai unit, about 6 units of Nodachi's, honor of 3 for all, and 1 YA unit.

Now here's the setting, a COLD winter day in Inaba province....The Shingen/Katsuyori Army approaches, the rebels approach......CLASH!!!!!! The armies lock up and the blood flies. After a heavy cavalry charge shook up their general, the rebels begin to flee and relocate. I split my army about 3 times, and send everyone out to take as many heads as possible. Shingen himself took 29 heads this battle. The general escaped, and my worst fears came true, especially for my war torn-tired troops.....REINFORCEMENTS!!!! My army was in shambles, divivded into 3 and 4 units in sections of the map slaughtering rebels, i couldnt reform to storm the reinforcements in time, and they tried to attack our flanks, but thank god for the Shingen!!!! I sent him charging headfirst into about 3 YA units, amazingly, he and his final 6 bodyguards held them until i lowered the BOOOOMMMMM on em.....that BOOOOMMM was when my yari cavalry(I LUV THEM), pulled off a devastating flank that sent their entire army routing. With the reinforcements trounced, the battle was won, without me ever having to call on the Katsuyori Reinforcements. 207 men from my army died....1636 heads were taken from the rebels and the rest retreated, take in mind that EVERY rebel reinforcement unit there was stepped onto this battlefield. I killed about 4 ENTIRE units of men, when i looked at the logfile EVERY single mans name said DEAD next to it. That battle was glorious, because it proved that Takeda Shingen is almost unstoppable, matched only by the great Oda Nobunaga & Totyomi Hideyoshi Armies that i had in my Oda campaign, but for that story, we will have to wait until another time, my fingers are tired.

-Blade
    Hey Yo

Just had ANOTHER amazing battle.....left an undefended province to my allies the Shimazu, and they jumped on me, the ravenous bastards, so anyhow, i quickly signed a peace treaty with Oda Nobunaga and Totyomi Hideyoshi and took all avaliable soldiers to Nagato and Bungo. They ran at my armies approach and i trapped him in Bungo, where he ran from the field at my armies approach and i assaulted the castle the next turn. Well this is were the story gets wild, Shimazu's Daimyo, the elderly Takashia (69), tried to jump my army from behind as i approached the castle, needless to say i ate his army up, and his honor guard were all killed. So I chased him with shingen for a while, but i was foolish and paid no attention to how far my daimyo's unit ran, and i ended up running into about 240 YA. They quickly surrounded and killed my daiymo's honor guards and about 8 of em jumped the great Shingen, you gotta remember, Shingen is now 62 and Im trying desperatley to make katsuyori reach rank 6, so he can at least replace my great level 7 daimyo. Well anyway, my honor 7 daimyo slaughtered ashigaru after ashigaru and they began to fall back and send in fresh peasants, meanwhile my cavalry/infantry shock troops are running top speed now to reach their lord, all the while being rained on by suprisingly effective archer fire from the castle. FINALLY the cavalry arrives and slaughters the inhabitants of the castle,saving their master,who got 32 kills singlehandedly this battle, which thrust his guards honor up to 8 if u were wondering and for the battle he was up to 10 honor. So then im thinking....i KNOW i forgot something, the hell was it? Then out to the side of the castle i see a lone warrior-the daimyo Shimazu Takashia.....and I know...its time. My daimyo is now on totally exhausted and probably has 1,000 wounds...but i say hell..he has 10 honor...lemme go for it. So i shuffle my troops aside and my daimyo races out alone to duel with takashia. For a solid minute or 2, they trade blows, my daimyo obviously taking the upper hand, and Takashia begins to run from the battle, and inside the castle....which happens to be occupied with my troops!!! I shuffle them away as quickly as possible so the duel can continue, but even on hold formation they are extremely aggressive...finally i get them all to back off, and I charge my daimyo into battle one last time....after a few more minutes of struggle Takashia finally succumbs to his wounds and falls off of his mighty steed, deader than a bitch.......it was a glorious battle, too bad my shingen wont have many more like it...he's about 62, and an old man can only take so much of this (;.

-Blade
    Hey Yo

Most of the time I just play as the Shimazu.

Wow Blade you've had some interesting battles hopefully i'll have some success like you had.

Michael

Blade really knows how to tell a story! I wish I had battles like that myself. Most of the time, AI units flee the battlefield when they face my 6 archer, 6 yari, and 6 WM units with Legendary armor, weapons, and morale. It really is no fun, and AI units only put up a good fight if they are in their last province with no castle. Guys, which log file stores the data concerning kills/losses ratio and the like? I can't seem to find it.

Hi ShaiHulud!
    Yes its me...(Mickesan,Amok,LinkSan and now EuroSan..they are all the names i had on Shogun)......no multi name player here
    One for each Clan i been in, except Amok he was Subadais enemy

Ps. to the post up there..i played as an Christian on it, it help abit vs the monks i meet.Ds.

------------------

[This message has been edited by EuroSan (edited 04-18-2001).]

Senior Member Senior Member Shiro's Avatar

I think my best campaign has to have been my first one. It wasn't my best as victories or how fast I won. It really had to do with exploring the game and discovering it. I'm just like borisus in that my first campaign was played on Normal as Hojo. I had read in a computer gaming mag that Hojo was good for newbies to try. I went for Normal because I find that if I start playing a game on Easy I get used to playing it that way and have trouble at a higher difficulty level.

I was so amazed at the cut-scenes that I used my Ninja again and again just to see that movie over and over again.
    "Everything Shiro said sounds good to me."
    -Solypsist
    "Catiline is the one with the black rag and Shiro is erm...the other one..."
    -Tosa

Eurosan... Yah, thought so. Who else has played a entire campaign with nothing better than Yari? hehe

------------------

The best campaign...

Mori 1931. The blackguard Takeda have three of our provinces, take them out! After one short year of fighting, they are routed, and I proceeded to take Nagato. So far so good.

And then something strange happended. The entire game seemed like one big seesaw battle after another. After killing Oda, I tried to kill off Shimazu and there was a very hard battle. Then all his stupid lands went to Imagawa (argh!) and there was anther titanic struggle.

Probably as a result of imagawa inheriting the lands, and takeda doing very well (he had shinano and pushed westwards!) the east was one titanic bloc of struggling armies. Very interesting, as there was no horde (plus I was weak). I pushed on multiple fronts immediately, but just as I was doing well (after many hard struggles I might add) Mori died! And my heirs are all lying underneath the battlefields of Kyushu and Oda's ronin lands! End of game!

I hate my luck.

The best campaign is always the one that i'm playing now. In general for me the Most fun is takeda , the biggest challenge is when i play mori (on hard, don't play on expert). Does anyone have general tips for Mori ? I guess i'm to slow expansion wise. As Mori I tend to take out takeda very early without major difficulty , then i tech up . Maybe i should wait before teching up.....

Mori is my favorit clan(not becuse of the WM),and i think its not hard to win with.
    i play now a mori campaign on hard,its 1541 and i have all the west and the Oda lands.

Tips-
    1-take the takeda 3p as fast as you can.
    2-dont tech up build troops and atteck Nagato and the next Shimazu p.
    3-make 3 training p and make YS and YA and some SA to defend.
    4-just remember to atteck all the time,i think its the best way.
    5-i don't like WM and never use them,but use them if you think you have to.

------------------

ShaiHulud....what can i say, I am/was an addict to this lovely game

------------------

BTW, Shai-san and EuroSan: I once met a guy in the Finnish Pelit magazine's website forums who said STW was the biggest flop of the year 2000 - he claimed the strategy part was so meaninglessly simple that the best (not one possible, but *the best*) way to win a campaign was to overrun the enemy with nothing but YS. What can one say to something like that...

Anyway, I guess the campaign I still remember the most fondly was the first one: an Oda bloodbath of a game. I loved the Oda from the first moment, and still do. I fought a three-front war against Môri, Shimazu and Hôjô, and battered down a horde that was, for once, quite manageably-sized: big, but not impossibly big. That game never got dull, and is the source of most of my war stories. Ah, the memories...

------------------
    "1. Gi: the right decision, taken with equanimity, the right attitude, the truth. When we must die, we must die. Rectitude."
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

And that guy's been quoted in which reviews?....lol. Probly said 8-tracks would never be replaced, too...

Oda seems to have been popular with many...

------------------

1-Thanks Borisus.
    2-It does seem simple, but once you go through a campaign either you get very frustrated (how can i loose to such a simple game? This game is crap) or you open your eyes and learn.

I like holding back my geisha's/ninjas...it's fun not killing off the Hojo Horde Daimyo just because it's so much more fun to defend a river province against thousands every season...Man, what fun! (course, the silly fool never sent Naginatas into the battles...I would have had a shit fit if that happened! lol!)