Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indo Sakas

Lies We Can Belive In Member Barry Soteiro's Avatar

Default Indo Sakas

Hi, EB team first post here but I check the forum often

First thanks for this splendid mod who is very interesting

I love particularly the Bactrian, Saka with their cultural mix

Now the question, is there going to be more indo-greek-saka units in next version ?

I think it would be very cool to have a guy like this one

A bactrian camel archer with a tabar axe, it would look awesome on the battlefield, will we see this unit maybe ?

Thanks again for you job
    Lies we can believe in

Default Re: Indo Sakas

AFAIK there will be no camel units in EB, as they were not used widely in battle. Our historians will be able to elaborate, I'm sure.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Asia ton Barbaron mapper Member Pharnakes's Avatar

Smile Re: Indo Sakas

Now that is sweet, Bactrian camel archers!
    Please, please, please put this in. I don't care if its a historical, I mean what is there to not like about them?
    Asia ton Barbaron The new eastern mod for eb!

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

Quote Originally Posted by Pharnakes
    Now that is sweet, Bactrian camel archers!
    Please, please, please put this in. I don't care if its a historical, I mean what is there to not like about them?
    Reason for why you would never ever be allowed into EB.

Bactrian camels have never been used and as I recall do not have the speed needed to be good mounted archers. Heck, they are slow that most infantry could catch up to them.

-------------

As for more Indo-Saka & Indo-Greek units, we have a few more but that's it. We only have so and so many unit slots so we got to spread the love.
    There will probably not be any camel units as most evidence points to that camels were used for transport to and from battles, not during.
    Last edited by Krusader; 06-11-2007 at 15:27.
    "Debating with someone on the Internet is like mudwrestling with a pig. You get filthy and the pig loves it"
    Shooting down abou's Seleukid ideas since 2007!

Calm down, it was a joke.

On the speed of bactrian camels are you sure about that? I seem to rememeber reading something about a group of biologists attempting to study some and, finding they could outrun horses after about half an hour, so I think the camels would be able to run, especialy if there was a great horde of yelling men chasing after them waving pointy things...

Although in fairness I have never heard of the bactrian camel being used for anything, but that may just be because they are so rare now.
    Last edited by Pharnakes; 06-11-2007 at 15:37.

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

Saka will receive some units, most of those have either fought in India, or are depicted in coins minted in India, or are Indian themselves.

NO BAKTRIAN CAMELS, though. They were used in trade, but NOT in warfare.

Don't worry, you are not the only one who enjoys the Saka, and them IndoSakae either the Northern Ksatrapas, or the Western Ksatrapas (the ones who survived after the Northern ones were integrated into the Kushana realm).
    Last edited by keravnos; 06-11-2007 at 17:31.

You like EB? Buy CA games.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

I've gotten the impression from somewhere the Bactrian two-humps are actually slower overall than dromedaries (which for that matter [I]were[I] put to use as archery platforms), but dunno if that has any real factual basis.

...I've gotta agree there's something rasther awe-inspiring about the image of a guy in those nomad tunics, toting bow and axe (and prominent moustache too most likely), atop the already quite visually jarring camel though.
    Metal, dude.

Considerable amusement value aside, I can also see why they might not exactly turn up in EB too.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

The problem with camels is similar to the problems with some other rarer units--they require (in the case of camels especially) multiple models and a new unit slot, things which we don't exactly have in abundance. Now, if they'll raise the unit/model limits in M2:Kingdoms...
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

Personally, I figure you could make a pretty decent camel-archer out of the Saba archer-spearmen just by giving the model the appropriate "mounted" skeleton definitions (ie. like generals have). Pretty much the exact same guys, just atop a smelly, ornery herbivore after all. You'd still need to spend a slot on the camel of course - I figure the rather redunant one for the Yubtseb oliphants would do fine... or is that needed for something ?
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

Last user of scythed chariots Member Spendios's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman
    - I figure the rather redunant one for the Yubtseb oliphants would do fine... or is that needed for something ?
    Yubsteb elephants were used historically so they will stay in game. They were massively used by Uranos people during their Bartixian conquest.

How could I forget.

Suicide by kryptonite exposure is the only way I can regain my honour.

Celtic Cataphracts!!!! Member The Celt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spendios
    Yubsteb elephants were used historically so they will stay in game. They were massively used by Uranos people during their Bartixian conquest.
    Exactly! How else would the Uranians be able to reach those flying Cocken Gall-Bladders?

OT:To be honest I'm not that fond of Camels in RTW since they were always so ugly looking and had this bizarre animation when they moved.(Looked more like Dogs that got sticks stuck somewhere than Camels.) So I'm fine with EB not including them as they've got so many awesome units to play around with already especially in that region!
    Achtungaz!!! You vill all zavmit to zeh Svveboz!!!!

Currently rising to power as:

Camels are infamous for looking pretty darn strange in general (plus they look like they're sneering all the time - somehow fitting given their ill temper). And their running gait isn't the most aesthetically pleasing, granted - but it does the job.

Yes, camels do run in a very strange, horizontal sort of way, and as watchman says thier pretty bad tempered. I don't know if any of you have read Terry Pratchett, but he attributes the superioir look to the fact that their are the most intelegent animals on the planet (to intelignet to let humans know, of course) And he also gives his camel's names like: evil minded son of bitch and dirty union of diseaesd jackals behind, which I suspect, if I had a camel would probably be the sort of name I would give it.

And they stink.

Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

"The Finns have no imagination when it comes to naming horses; they're all called Perkele."
    - unknown 19th-century traveler

("Perkele" refers to the Devil and is used as a general-purpose expletive, much like the famous Spanish Caramba!)

Does anybody outside of a cartoon actualy say caramba?

Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

Damned if I know, but it has just the right combination of explosive consonants to make a brilliant expletive.

Celtic Cataphracts!!!! Member The Celt's Avatar

Damned if I know, but it has just the right combination of explosive consonants to make a brilliant expletive.
    You mean like "Scorchio!!!"
    Achtungaz!!! You vill all zavmit to zeh Svveboz!!!!

Currently rising to power as:

One guy who was in military service with me said caramba occasionally. I thought it was funny, so I've adopted it along with the more traditional Norwegian expletives.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

EB Token Radical Member QwertyMIDX's Avatar

Personally, I figure you could make a pretty decent camel-archer out of the Saba archer-spearmen just by giving the model the appropriate "mounted" skeleton definitions (ie. like generals have). Pretty much the exact same guys, just atop a smelly, ornery herbivore after all. You'd still need to spend a slot on the camel of course - I figure the rather redunant one for the Yubtseb oliphants would do fine... or is that needed for something ?
    I'm pretty sure if you want to give a model a new skeleton for animation you have to give it a new model entry, whether its the same model or not.
    History is for the future not the past. The dead don't read.

Operam et vitam do Europae Barbarorum.

History does not repeat itself. The historians repeat one another. - Max Beerbohm

Lies We Can Belive In Member Barry Soteiro's Avatar

Will maybe this considered for EB2 ? Maybe a parthian or saka drummer on camel it would be cool
    Lies we can believe in

Incorruptible Forest Manager Member Tristuskhan's Avatar

Two-humped camels too slow? I rode some and they are quite energetic. They stink, are bad tempered and run a smooth pace (lifting both legs on the same side at once) making them a stable mount ideal for firing arrows, really scare horses, don't know fatigue and by spring, when the winter wool goes down, have an incredible rasta-punk look.

I fell in love with a camel on spring 2002 in Mongolia. I felt we could have traveled to the end of the world together.

They were not used at war. I can't figure out why.
    "Les Cons ça ose tout, c'est même à ça qu'on les reconnait"

Kentoc'h Mervel Eget Bezañ Saotret - Death feels better than stain, motto of the Breton People. Emgann!

...tried racing a horse with them or something, too ?

Anyway, given that one of the important things which actually makes hores good war-mounts is that they're specifically hierarchical herd beast...

Quote Originally Posted by Gertrude
    Will maybe this considered for EB2 ? Maybe a parthian or saka drummer on camel it would be cool
    You're treading dangerously close to Warcraft 3's orcs here, methinks... o.O

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Going to the land where men walk without footprints.

which actually makes hores good war-mounts
    I sure hope you forgot a 's' here...

Mesa no speak the English so well.

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conradus
    I sure hope you forgot a 's' here...
    I reckon what he missed was another letter.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

... which actually makes
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    hores
    good war-mounts is that they're specifically hierarchical herd beast...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouzafphaerre
    I reckon what he missed was another letter.
    Lol. Though, that would be adult content. And a clash with Gaesatae...nvm
    Last edited by Seyduna; 02-10-2008 at 22:24.

Elephant Master Member Conqueror's Avatar

Although it is a safe bet that quite a few soldiers through history have enjoyed "mounting" some "hores" during times of war...
    Last edited by Conqueror; 02-11-2008 at 17:38.

RTW, 167 BC: Rome expels Greek philosophers after the Lex Fannia law is passed. This bans the effete and nasty Greek practice of 'philosophy' in favour of more manly, properly Roman pursuits that don't involve quite so much thinking.

death is just the beginning Member marodeur's Avatar

Does anybody know when camels or dromedars were first used in war? I find it astonishing that they shall not have been used - normally humans use every possible device to arm themselves if it helps beating the crap out of your nefarious neighbour...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast