Thread: Help on modding MTW

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

Default Help on modding MTW

Hi all,

Right now I am making a Total Conversion Mod for MTW (details when at least 50%'s done) and I've never modded MTW before, let alone looked at the files.

No, I do not have VI,yet, but could someone PLEASE link me to somewhere which has tutorials and walkthroughs on how to mod just MTW!?

it would be a great help,plus you'd have another major conversion on the scene!

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

Default Re: Help on modding MTW

I have Gold Edition, so I don't know how much Medieval - Total War and Viking Invasion differ between each other.

Now, if I remember correctly, I was looking for a walkthrough or strategy guide when playing the main campaign. And I tried Gamefaqs since it was in my favorites section and I stumbled upon this. I followed it and eventually it made me catch on, I soon found totalwar.org and it is here where I found out how to do much more advanced modding aspects.

I recommend trying out the guide in that link, then try out some of the tutorials found here. Just look through some of the topics and try them out. I know a lot of them are missing large pieces of vital information but try piecing back together the parts there. Many are also very outdated unfortunately. (sigh)

An Important Tip on Modding Any Game: Make backups of the original of what you are modifying, and date your work as you go along.
    E.g. Say you are fiddling around with the file: Unit_Stats (note: this file doesn't actually exist, it's just an example). Make a back up of the file before you touch it. Then as you start changing around with it, save it under the name of: Unit_Stats (Modified 12-June-07) or whatever the date may be when you last modified it. Remember, a good mod takes a long time, it's not something you can do overnight.
    Then if something isn't working quite right, you don't have to start all over again.

Anyway, good luck with your mod.
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

Thanks for tips and links!

I was wondering if there was many MAJOR diffrencs in modding between VI and MTW.

Also, does any one have a new link to some of the tools used? Like the LMM? Because all links provided in other links in the Repoistory are outdated.

Post Re: Help on modding MTW

Hi Warluster,
    Quote Originally Posted by Warluster
    I was wondering if there was many MAJOR diffrencs in modding between VI and MTW.
    As far as my humble M:TW knowledge extends to, I think that the VI expansion contains the addition of more units and the ability to perform a quicksave before battles. Other than that and the addition of the VI campaign, I think, although cannot be certain, that that may be all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warluster
    Also, does any one have a new link to some of the tools used? Like the LMM? Because all links provided in other links in the Repoistory are outdated.
    Perhaps this list of download links could help you out.

Good luck with your modification, cheers!
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 06-13-2007 at 08:27.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Thanks for the lnik, that helps a lot!

(as most links in the Repoistory just send you to AtomicGamer)

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

Viking allows for far more possibilities. It allows you to add factions, new custom bif folders for extra unit designs, faction music, faction portraits, and different mod-specific folders so that the original game can usually run concurrently alongside it.

I aslo have a few more questions.

Editing units in MTW, what tools do you use to do it?

And I am making a mod, trying not to reveal too much, but I am completely re-making the map, is it hard to COMPLETELY, I mean EVERYTHING, change the map?

Thanks for your time,

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

To modify unit stats (like attack and defense etc.) you'll need Gnome Editor. There are already plenty of guides on tips on using the editor. It's found in the link on Alexandrapolites's post. It's called " Gnome_UnitBuildProj_Editorv2.0.zip ".

It's a pretty straight-forward utility. About the map editing, well BKB should know all about that after his release of his mod, the Age of Warlords.
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.