Thread: Roman law system

Default Roman law system

From what I know, the romans had the most consistent and organized law system of the time. They had courts, assemblies, magistrates. Is there any way to reflect this in-game? A special building giving law bonuses?

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Default Re: Roman law system

I don't know that Roman law was that effective, it was complex certainly but those magistrates presided over some institutional misscariages of justice.

In any case we are working on some things to reflect how your family members intereact with the laws.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla
    I don't know that Roman law was that effective, it was complex certainly but those magistrates presided over some institutional misscariages of justice.

In any case we are working on some things to reflect how your family members intereact with the laws.
    Roman Law is the father of all European Legal Systems. All Civil Codes has been done using what Romans had created. Probably Roman Law is the biggest inheritance that a civilitation has given.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla

No law system is perfect, not even now. However for that time, the Roman law was the most advanced, complex and it was public.

QUOTE=Wikipedia
    The Roman assemblies were seen to embody the People of Rome, not merely being an appointed body of representatives, and thus possessed ultimate legislative powers, including the ability to pass ex post facto laws.
    /QUOTE

Quote Originally Posted by PanzadeBuda
    Roman Law is the father of all European Legal Systems. All Civil Codes has been done using what Romans had created.
    Yeah!
    Last edited by cezarip; 06-12-2007 at 12:06.

EB II Romani Consul Suffectus Member Zaknafien's Avatar
    Somewhere inside the Military-Industrial Complex

hm, i dont know about roman law being very just or fair, but incidentally as Phillipvs said we are working on a roman law system for the game but anything else about it is rather Top Secret right now./

"urbani, seruate uxores: moechum caluom adducimus. / aurum in Gallia effutuisti, hic sumpsisti mutuum." --Suetonius, Life of Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by PanzadeBuda
    Roman Law is the father of all European Legal Systems. All Civil Codes has been done using what Romans had created. Probably Roman Law is the biggest inheritance that a civilitation has given.
    Continental european civil law is inspired by the codex justinianus which was completed in 529 AD and revised in 534 AD

http://http://www.fordham.edu/halsal...nstitutes.html

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Which has nothing to do with British or Scandanavian Law, or their derrivatives.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Axebitten Modder Senior Member Dol Guldur's Avatar

Which is why I am very grateful I live in a country where its effects are less felt

A "technology" representing the Anglo-saxon system (Common Law) would be an equally good idea if the EB team are to follow that route, though I must admit I have forgotten the time period EB covers :(
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."

Since Roman Law (codified) is the root of the all modern Civil Law System, it will be great to featuring this in EB. I strongly agree with PanzadeBuda on this matter. Although it is true Civil Law System were inspired by Corpus Juris Civilis at the time of Justinian I, but it is during Roman Republic the first notable codified law system called Lex Duodecim Tabularum known to exist.
    Salus Populi Est Suprema Lex.
    The Welfare of The People is The Ultimate Law.

Didn't the Athenians create the first ever democracy though? Giving the power to the thousands in the assembly. Although I understand that they still had classes and the richer agricultural and land owners held most of the power.

Im not sure if it ever influenced any of the modern day governments or rome though?