Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WANTED: Pahlavi voicemod actor

Default WANTED: Pahlavi voicemod actor

The EB team needs someone to lend their voice to the Pahlavi voicemod. This voicemod will be for the Pahlava faction.

What this entails:

*You need to have a microphone
    *You need to be able to understand instructions given by the voicemod manager and follow those instructions as he says (pronounciation, microphone position etc)
    *You have to be male.
    *You need a good voice, which means:

Yes:
    Anyone who can fluently speak Persian, whether Dari, Tadjik Dari (Parsiwan or Pahlewani), or Parsi, Gilaki, Baluch, Kurdish (Preferrably Kurmanji, which would be ideal), Ossetian or any other obscure indigenous Iranian language, heck even Armenian would be ideal. Western Indian people are also among the ideal target.

Less ideal, but still good. Anyone who speaks any Latin/Romance language, preferrably French, or another Indo-European language like Greek. Heck anyone else who can pronounce letters properly or make good use of the vocal register will suit.

No:
    Any Sino-Altaic or Altaic languages - Anything from fluent speakers of Finnish, Magyar/Hungarian, Turkish (Azeri being the clear exception since many locals do happen to speak Persian fluently), Mongolian, Chinese, Korean, to Japanese. Then sorry nope.

Semitic languages - Arabic, Hebrew, Jiddisch, Aramaic, Chaldean.

Bantu, other African or remote Indigenous languages

---

If you apply and we pick you (after hearing samples) you will get in touch with the guys responsible for making the voicemod and also a pronunciation guide for all words. All recording will be done in group sessions with the voicemod manager to make sure the commands are properly spoken and audio files have proper quality.

And the EB team would be grateful for anyone who wishes to help us adding this awesome facet of the mod and making yours and others Pahlavi experience all the better
    Last edited by Krusader; 06-13-2007 at 00:46.
    "Debating with someone on the Internet is like mudwrestling with a pig. You get filthy and the pig loves it"
    Shooting down abou's Seleukid ideas since 2007!

Default Re: WANTED: Pahlavi voicemod actor

Just a question but why does speaking asian and semitic languages disqualify you? Is it because accents and such would get in the way?

Quote Originally Posted by Lignator
    Just a question but why does speaking asian and semitic languages disqualify you? Is it because accents and such would get in the way?
    presumably they dont want those ethnic types to have anything to do with their lovely mod?

Er... no. The disqualified languages have strong conflicting elements with Pahlavi. That's it.

Plus, I don't see what a slave trade 1,700 years after our mod have to do with the point you made.

EB Token Radical Member QwertyMIDX's Avatar

From the internal post about this:

Any Sino-Altaic or Altaic languages - Anything from fluent speakers of Finnish, Magyar/Hungarian, Turkish (Azeri being the clear exception since many locals do happen to speak Persian fluently), Mongolian, Chinese, Korean, to Japanese. The short, clipped vowels won't go well with attempted Pahlavî which commonly would be spoken with open, long, "warm" vowels and generally at a lower tempo. Hence the expression; A five-minute conversation will take an Iranian more then five hours to get through.

Semitic languages - No, just no. I'm one of the few oddballs who due to 1400 years of inbreeding ended up in a funky place in Iran where people spoke both Persian and Gulf Arabic, in which the latter at best is pretty botched with Aramaic, Mandaic and of course a lot of Pahlavî and New Persian aspects... Arabic in general is very guttural. A big no. Aramaeans or Chaldaeans however are more flexible to work with.
    History is for the future not the past. The dead don't read.

Operam et vitam do Europae Barbarorum.

History does not repeat itself. The historians repeat one another. - Max Beerbohm

Quote Originally Posted by abou

Plus, I don't see what a slave trade 1,700 years after our mod have to do with the point you made.
    no idea, i didnt realise that was included in my post until after i had posted, as soon as i saw it i removed it. it must have been a case of the forums acting up.

Ah, okay. I thought that was weird and I noticed you don't have an edit stamp at the bottom of your post. Must have been a forum hiccup, and I hope it isn't a sign that the ORG will go down for a day.

Because the sounds inherent in their language would make it VERY hard on them to record in Pahlavi. Simple as that.

You like EB? Buy CA games.

Quote Originally Posted by QwertyMIDX
    Any Sino-Altaic or Altaic languages - Anything from fluent speakers of Finnish, Magyar/Hungarian, Turkish (Azeri being the clear exception since many locals do happen to speak Persian fluently), Mongolian, Chinese, Korean, to Japanese. The short, clipped vowels won't go well with attempted Pahlavî which commonly would be spoken with open, long, "warm" vowels and generally at a lower tempo. Hence the expression; A five-minute conversation will take an Iranian more then five hours to get through.

Semitic languages - No, just no. I'm one of the few oddballs who due to 1400 years of inbreeding ended up in a funky place in Iran where people spoke both Persian and Gulf Arabic, in which the latter at best is pretty botched with Aramaic, Mandaic and of course a lot of Pahlavî and New Persian aspects... Arabic in general is very guttural. A big no. Aramaeans or Chaldaeans however are more flexible to work with.
    Just wondering, why don't you use this guy's voice for the mod?

Just happy to help out Member Spurius Brontosaurus's Avatar
    Chennai India, in the sweltering tropical heat

I'm from Southern India and can do a pretty good job pronouncing middle sanskrit and vedic sanskrit (1500 bce - 300 ce). Happy to help if you can't find someone further West.

I guess its time I made my first post (I've been following your mod on this - and other - fora for over 2 years now, and if there's something within my talents that can help you get it out of the door sooner, well hey, count me in)

Cheers.
    "These Romans are crazy"

Can't help here.

But gimme a call when you need someone to voice the New Zealand Maori faction.

Marzbân-î Jundîshâpûr Member The Persian Cataphract's Avatar

As the one who primarily made the request in the first place, I think it would be in order to clarify myself on this issue which seems to have garnered some misconceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lignator
    Correct. We speak of a concept such as lingual harmony, and Asiatic languages, in particular have a different profile altogether. Such languages are spoken with a different tempo, and sound differently when shifting tempo. Take for instance Spanish, I equate it to stress-resistance, because it still sounds cohesive when spoken quickly, whereas it will sound bloated and slow when speaking it at the slower tempo of Pahlavî. Same applies with Arabic, which is a guttural language, quite percussive, and may be spoken with other formalities. It is not impossible to train for instance a Chinese man to speak Pahlavî, however he has to be enthusiastic about it. The whole "Flied lice!" and "Sank yo verry match!" scenarios are quite frankly the worst starting positions when beginning to practice speaking at a lower tempo and not being afraid to give the vowels a stretch.

In other words, we are not being xenophobic jerks if anyone got that impression. We got criteria. Naturally one would actually find a Chinese man to do auditions on a cast, speaking Chinese (Let's not jump on the technicalities, I only brought up an analogy).

Quote Originally Posted by GMT
    Just wondering, why don't you use this guy's voice for the mod?
    That would be me, of course... Well, there are many factors. Among the first is of course the "King Of The Fairies"-voice that becomes apparent when yelling without any good reason, mentally, but the most important issue is a lack of time and the fact that I both work and go to school. I usually get home late. I can't yell in my office, nor can I yell when I'm in a seminar. When I get home late and start yelling, that scenario alone speaks for itself. I would have loved to do the voice-mod myself if it wasn't for the fact that I just don't have the time nor space, unless I want a botched voice-mod. Due to a very clever solution one of our team members, Keravnos, has developed, I will be able to produce instructive audio clips focusing on pronounciation. There are other benefits with having multiple voice actors on board; Namely diversity.

I hope this further clarified the issue.

"Fortunate is every man who in purity and truth recognizes valiance and prevents it from becoming bravado" - Âriôbarzanes of the Sûrên-Pahlavân

Quote Originally Posted by Spurius Brontosaurus
    I'm from Southern India and can do a pretty good job pronouncing middle sanskrit and vedic sanskrit (1500 bce - 300 ce). Happy to help if you can't find someone further West.

I guess its time I made my first post (I've been following your mod on this - and other - fora for over 2 years now, and if there's something within my talents that can help you get it out of the door sooner, well hey, count me in)

Cheers.
    Glad you've finally posted then Spurius!

I think we are trying to get multiple voices for it where possible. That's what we've tried to do with some of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Spurius Brontosaurus

Cheers.
    Thank you for showing interest in this endeavour. We will contact you after discussing this internally. Stay tuned.

To all others, the witch-hunt is still on and we will still consider any well-reasoned application. Keep the comments rolling.

"Fortunate is every man who in purity and truth recognizes valiance and prevents it from becoming bravado" - Âriôbarzanes of the Sûrên-Pahlavân

I speak Armenian and would like to help but I have examen till monday the 25 after that I'm availble so if I can help say somthing
    "I should like to see any power of the world destroy this race, this small tribe of unimportant people, whose history is ended, whose wars have been fought and lost, whose structures have crumbled, whose literature is unread, whose prayers are no longer answered.... For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia!

William Saroyan, 1935.

High kings of the Mountains: A Hayasdan AAR

VOXIFEX MAXIMVS Member Shigawire's Avatar

I'm glad to see some replies here already. Believe you me, we WILL get this made. So if you are fairly confident in your own voice, and have no major linguistic disqualifications/obstacles, and want to help make EB better, come on up to sign up!

"To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will its true nature be seen." -The Amtal Rule, DUNE

There is no rush (Studies are more important so focus on that instead)

We'll contact you.

Call me if you need awful drooling. On that note, what's Finnish like to "foreign" ears? I've always wanted to know, just tell me in all honesty.

I dunno, haven't heard it much - got a sound clip anywhere? Or a Finnish radio site or something?

If you don't mind, would you tell us about the current status of the voicemods? Does the fact that you ask for actors mean that the translation of Pahlava is complete? When I asked a while back, Proto-germanic was stalled for lack of translators, any change there? How about Sarmatian and Armenian? Any changes for the existing latin, greek and celtic voicemods planned?

I'd be happy to help. Should I PM you or what?
    Send me some text to say and I'll be glad to Email the files over to you.

Cheers...

VOXIFEX MAXIMVS Member Shigawire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thaatu
    Call me if you need awful drooling. On that note, what's Finnish like to "foreign" ears? I've always wanted to know, just tell me in all honesty.
    We Norwegians can't seem tell it apart from the Sami language. Sounds very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Kongeslask
    If you don't mind, would you tell us about the current status of the voicemods? Does the fact that you ask for actors mean that the translation of Pahlava is complete? When I asked a while back, Proto-germanic was stalled for lack of translators, any change there? How about Sarmatian and Armenian? Any changes for the existing latin, greek and celtic voicemods planned?
    We have someone who will translate the Early Germanic. He is our latest FC for the Sweboz. He knows Old English, Saxon, etc.. I have sent him the 4kg of books that I have on Early Germanic, he will have them in 5-10 days and start working on the translations.

Pahlava is translated and finalized. Looking for volunteers now.

Punic is translated and finalized. Abou is recording the voices.

There are also some developments with the Greek voicemod yes..

"To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will its true nature be seen." -The Amtal Rule, DUNE

Closet Celtophile Member Redmeth's Avatar

The amount of work and dedication going into these voice-mods is simply amazing. They help so much with the immersion. Your efforts are definetely appreciated. Thank you

EDIT: I definitely thank you.
    Last edited by Redmeth; 06-13-2007 at 20:25.

Definitely is definitely spelled as definitely.

Celtic Cataphracts!!!! Member The Celt's Avatar

Bali bali bali bali bali!!!!!! I've been learning some Farsi since last year and I can pronounce it rather well.(probably not aswell as Persian Cataphract or Kambiz but heh, what can an Irish guy do?) I've been waiting forever for the Pahlavi voice pack. I can PM you guys my Email and I've got the equipment. If Shigaware wants to put me through his boot-camp I'm ready for anything! BTW is their a deadline? I'm in no rush but a headup on when I'm needed will be nice.

BTw what are the difference in Farsi and Pahlavi? I know Pahlavi has much harder sounding conciseness while F/Parsi has much softer, Arabic influxes.
    Last edited by The Celt; 06-13-2007 at 20:33.
    Achtungaz!!! You vill all zavmit to zeh Svveboz!!!!

Currently rising to power as:

Now we're rolling. Two new expressions of interest. This has turned more fruitful than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by mAIOR
    I'd be happy to help. Should I PM you or what?
    Send me some text to say and I'll be glad to Email the files over to you.

Cheers...
    We'll PM you, though we'd like to hear more of a motivation or reasoning of why you are an ideal voice actor

Quote Originally Posted by The Celt
    Bali bali bali bali bali!!!!!!
    Someone's eager...

Enthusiasm is an underrated virtue, and quite frankly that you're Irish doesn't matter; You studied New Persian for a year which really is an undertaking. It's positive that you show interest. Shigawire and possibly Blacksnail will stand for the technical aspects, while I'll do the instructing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kongelask
    Does the fact that you ask for actors mean that the translation of Pahlava is complete?
    Yes, that I ought to know... The fact that the mod introduced Greek, Celtic and Latin voice-mods inspired me to do a complete chart of the battle-commands which currently is final after months of tweaking

Because I have a nice strong manly voice :D
    Oh, I'm also a fast learner and seem to have some easiness in speaking languages and doing accents.

Cheers...

Ok, cool... Masculine, general type voices are always welcome, and if you can do accents with little fuss, even better

Ok, boys and girls (Hopefully only men, neither boys nor girls are allowed here ) here's how we are going to do it, you give us some time to contemplate on how to structure up the tasks, and we'll return to the applicants (Anyone still interested in the endeavour may still apply) individually.

Celtic Cataphracts!!!! Member The Celt's Avatar

Cool Re: WANTED: Pahlavi voicemod actor

We'll(well I will) be waiting!
    Achtungaz!!! You vill all zavmit to zeh Svveboz!!!!

Currently rising to power as:

Quote Originally Posted by Shigawire
    Punic is translated and finalized. Abou is recording the voices.
    Whilst I would like to hear Punic, I was under the impression that the main language of the Carthaginian military was Greek.

Am I wrong or will this mod apply to semitic units (so the Sabeans and Iudeans too), giving the Carthaginian army a suitable cacophony of languages?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast