Thread: return, questions, ramblings, everything!

graduated non-expert Member jerby's Avatar

Default return, questions, ramblings, everything!

Hi Guys,

I'm back (again) after what seems like a century (probably half a year or so, at max...). Anyway, my life sorta did a 180 on me (moving, playing semi-pro sports, exams) and I didn't play any games until at all.
    Untill -and I know you people are going to scold me for this- I saw 300. The movie is ridiculous, but I got that EB vibe (exams are done, sport season is over, free time all over )
    so, back again, to a new version, a problem and a shitload of questions.

the problem: I lend my RTW version to a cousin (blesphemy!) and do not have a DVD player (my version was a 3CD one). Now I can't find any RTW copy's in CD, just DVD's, But I can find a "gold editition".
    Now, is it possible for me to install just RTW, patch it to 1.5 and run EB with the gold version? or am I automatically stuck with BI?
    Or is it possible for me to run EB with BI?

now the questions:
    -my (slow) comp took about 3mins to 'load' when I end my turn (only with EB, with vanilla it was pretty speedy) has that gotten any better with EB 0.8x?

...sorry, it was just one I guess

have a nice one,
    Jerby

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Default Re: return, questions, ramblings, everything!

Welcome Back Jerby!!!!!
    I don't know if you remember but I'm the crazy Belgian (Gertgregoor) anyway great to hear things are going well!

Gold edition allows you to play RTW at 1.5 (good for EB), or BI at 1.6 (which is also good for EB). There are lots of threads to help you run EB with BI so just do a search for it.

1.5 is slightly faster than 1.2, but if anything we've probably got slower thanks to restrictions that moving to 1.5 gave us.

EDIT: Oh, and welcome back!

Foot
    Last edited by Foot; 06-13-2007 at 22:07.
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

sure I do, I don't recall to many names. But Gertgregoor, dux corvanus, foot Khelvan (khlevan, Klevan, something...sorry), sarcasm, and someone who's name I can't recall...he was/is the beta-testers supervisor and quickly made a name for himself with some embarassing drunken posts...he was a great guy though...

and the bartix-fellow...but I doubt he counts as a person

EDIT: Thanks foot, that what I needed to know, great!

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Gold Edition will probably come patched to 1.5/1.6.

And Bartix itself counts as a person. (Bartix is sentient! )

Asia ton Barbaron mapper Member Pharnakes's Avatar

Smile Re: return, questions, ramblings, everything!

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    And Bartix itself counts as a person. (Bartix is sentient! )

Bartix is indeed sentient, but it is not a person, it is above mere human level!
    Asia ton Barbaron The new eastern mod for eb!

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

If you can't find RTW on CD, consider buying a DVD drive. They aren't expensive anymore.

Also, you can play EB with BI.
    Last edited by Elukka; 06-15-2007 at 02:15.

Quote Originally Posted by jerby
    sure I do, I don't recall to many names. But Gertgregoor, dux corvanus, foot Khelvan (khlevan, Klevan, something...sorry), sarcasm, and someone who's name I can't recall...he was/is the beta-testers supervisor and quickly made a name for himself with some embarassing drunken posts...he was a great guy though...
    EDIT: Thanks foot, that what I needed to know, great!
    I guess you mean Divinus Arma?
    and the bartix-fellow...but I doubt he counts as a person
    Ah yes, good times, good times.

Divinus, That's the one! major flashbacks.... Thanks for all the info guys! I'm looking forward to playing (getting my CD in the mail tomorrow)

so, wait, you can play EB with BI? including all the "cool new features" like the shieldwall and the carré? (whatya call it...the phalanx-in-a-box thingy...)

one last question: do you still start out in the red figures on a campaign? (getting flashbacks of the Arche Seleukia being at -30 000 and mining being a bitch...)

Quote Originally Posted by jerby
    Divinus, That's the one! major flashbacks.... Thanks for all the info guys! I'm looking forward to playing (getting my CD in the mail tomorrow)

so, wait, you can play EB with BI? including all the "cool new features" like the shieldwall and the carré? (whatya call it...the phalanx-in-a-box thingy...)
    No, because EB is designed to play with RTW not BI, some features won't be avaliable (including the two formations you mention above). However, there quite a few mini-mods for EB that add these two features (among others) to EB for playing with BI. I recommend Watchman's mod as it basically only changes units and nothing more, though the gameplay will be slightly different even with just Watchman's mod (as the units with the shieldwall will perform better than they would under vanilla EB conditions).

one last question: do you still start out in the red figures on a campaign? (getting flashbacks of the Arche Seleukia being at -30 000 and mining being a bitch...)
    Depends on what faction you are playing. Mining is much improved, which significantly alters the economics of certain provinces (Pella is one of these). Of the factions I believe that the Romans, Ptolemaioi and Carthage have the best economy, and whilst others do start in the red a few of the more powerful factions can easily get out of it.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

thanks for having all the answers Foot!

just downloaded the BI demo (after miserably failing to get a copy of RTW-CD or a DVD-drive....yes it was raining and I don't have a driving liscene/car...) And I must say I expected more from the "shieldwall" than "cram up tight"
    I can breathe without that stuff

right now I just wanna play,
    Jerry

You can also use the thread about to play EB with BI. It's easy to add the formations yourself and that way you have the least changes to EB if that's what you want. You might want to reduce the stats a bit of the units you give the shieldwall formation.

I had the same issue I lost my old RTW CD and bought a Gold Edition RTW with BI.

Unless you don't have 1.5 installed...DO NOT RE-INSTALL RTW&BI!! you don't have to, just pop in the CD, click exit, and then double click the EB icon. It works for me.