Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Age of Warlords

Default Re: Age of Warlords Version 1.0 Released!

I still crashed after installing the 1.3 update, sorry. I tried Hainaut, crash first turn. Then the English, and lasted two turns. On the second turn, I got into a civil war and right after I chose a side, it crashed. Sorry, I know you've worked hard on this. Is it possible to make an installer from the version you have on your computer? I mean, you seem to have no problems with your version. Something had to have been changed, corrupted, etc. with the download.

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

Are the custom battles working okay? At least then I can see if the problems are wholesale. Fresco appeared to indicate that his was now working okay.

Just played a custom battle with Hainaut and the English with no problems.

Hi; just downloaded the patch, and first things first, it worked for me. The mod doesn't crash for me anymore and the custom battles work fine, but now there is a newer even more fouler problem.

My computer has started to get a foul smell about it, and I think it might have something to do with your mod. It has been eminating ever since I downloaded it; can you work on a new patch to get rid of this shit mod smell?

It is really getting to me.
    "You know me, Marge. I like my beer cold, my TV loud, and my homosexuals fa-laming!" -Homer

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Manteuffel
    I still crashed after installing the 1.3 update, sorry. I tried Hainaut, crash first turn. Then the English, and lasted two turns. On the second turn, I got into a civil war and right after I chose a side, it crashed. Sorry, I know you've worked hard on this. Is it possible to make an installer from the version you have on your computer? I mean, you seem to have no problems with your version. Something had to have been changed, corrupted, etc. with the download.
    I installed a new copy of the game mate, put 1.2 on it and then 1.3 and Hainaut and England work fine for me, I'm not sure what to say. Hainaut lasted at least 30 years. Is anyone else experiencing these kind of problems? Are any factions more stable for you than they were on the previous install? And is the Hainaut crash a recurrent thing.

Duke Dick I think you will find that is infact not my mod but the scent of your bell, I suggest you do something about it immediately.

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

DD, that can't be the mod, but the game. Perhaps you have other games installed, and your computer couldn't handle it?

The mod doesn't change System Requirements, so it has to be something else.

I can play custom battles now, too, but still no campaign
    This post was not written by a native English speaker, we apologise for the fault in the grammar and spelling.

In the ANGEVIN_BUILD_PROD.TXT, the ownership of the religious buildings LATERAN_PALACE thru the TEMPLAR_PRIORY are listed like this ex: (FN_PAPIST} Is that right, with the parenthesis?

YES! The 1.3 patch seems to have done it for me. No CTDs on the campaign map as yet. Truly great mod. It was definitely worth the wait. Well done.

EDIT: Looks like I spoke too soon. Although some campaigns lasted for quite a while, the CTDs eventually came thick and fast, much like the hordes of Eskimos over my Norse Greenland provinces. I've found that having the campaign map resolution set to 800 x 600 seems to help somewhat.
    Last edited by Koval; 07-01-2007 at 05:57.
    "A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers,
    looks around for a coffin."

Quote Originally Posted by Koval
    YES! The 1.3 patch seems to have done it for me. No CTDs on the campaign map as yet. Truly great mod. It was definitely worth the wait. Well done.

EDIT: Looks like I spoke too soon. Although some campaigns lasted for quite a while, the CTDs eventually came thick and fast, much like the hordes of Eskimos over my Norse Greenland provinces. I've found that having the campaign map resolution set to 800 x 600 seems to help somewhat.
    Who are you playing with mate, the Norse? Of all the factions they do seem to be the most problematic, how many years are we talking here? Most other factions seem a lot more stable, but figuring out why the Norse are troublesome is one of my most pressing matters.

Baron those were some buildings that did not make the game, I believe they are now unbuildable but I shall look into removing them fully and see if it makes a difference.

I tried uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling, to no avail. Started another campaign with the English and thought I had something good going. Even managed to get by the civil war where it had crashed earlier. After about 6 turns CTD. I started another campaign with The Lordship of Galloway. The game loaded and when I got to the campaign map, I touched the mouse and got a CTD. This is a shame, because this looks like the best mod to come along since your Supermod which I still enjoy. I like what you've done here. The new units look great, and it'll be worth the wait. P.S. - I tried deleting those unused buildings from the ANGEVIN_BUILD_PROD.TXT, and got an error message "unknown building horse_breeder(50)". I guess there's more to it then simply deleting the entries in the Building Text.

Today I've downloaded and installed AoW and I must say it really looks like an outstanding mod .
    I've tried to start 3 campaigns: Manx, Argyll and Dorset Eskimo, unfortunately all of these crashed to desktop soon after the loading screen, I was hardly able to have a glance at the map.
    Maybe there's a major problem or it is something simple but very difficult to detect, I'll make further trials and give feedback for anything might be of interest.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by The Blind King of Bohemia
    Who are you playing with mate, the Norse? Of all the factions they do seem to be the most problematic, how many years are we talking here?
    My campaign as the Danish lasted for quite a while, perhaps 10 - 15 turns. Same with the Scots. The other factions i've tried, including the Norse, give out after about 4 turns.
    Last edited by Koval; 07-02-2007 at 13:49.

I confirm that custom battle are OK.
    I've played more than a dozen involving all factions as attacker or defender and none got any problem. Same thing for battles with more than a CPU playing faction and for small units size.

Well custom battles seem to now be fine, but the campaign thing does seem highly abnormal, those crashes you mention Omar and Koval are not good at all, I expect most factions to get at least 50 years into the game now, and definitely not 4. I'm sure even my version that should be the same as yours does not do anything like that.

Yesterday I looked at the neighbours and borders in real detail and did not notice anything truly irregular, only a few changes I'd like to make for gameplay/realism purposes. I didn't really see anything that could crash the game so now I'm going to have to look elsewhere for the root cause.

Hi all,
    I noticed that replacing the 4 new campaign map muslim musics (Arab Strat Summer, Arab Strat Winter) with the original MTW ones, the AoW mod works wonderfully, I can't absolutely say how it is, but it flows perfectly.
    The game doesn't seem to care that for non-muslim campaigns those musics are not to be read.
    It's quite abnormal indeed as I didn't find anything wrong in the musics format, the files might have been corrupted during upload or even after (I only have a hard suspicion on the third new music that is > 65MB that could affect something like the maximum amount of memory allowed for cached files).

Now- I've got 5 saved games (Algonquin, Argyll, Eskimos, Manx and Pisans) all evolved past the 1164;
    In Dorset Eskimo campaign I've been playing until 1186 when, 1 province left and outnumbered by Algonquin, decided to give up.
    Pisans played up to Papal respawn in 1173.
    It should be tested if same result can be achieved removing only 3rd music but first, I'd like to know if someone else is going to try this solution.

I found also 2 strange things;
    Algonquin agents walk on the water, yes, they swim happily from one sea to another and sometimes take rest out of map borders;
    In custom battle, some Eskimo units increase available cash, they have a negative hiring cost, no idea how it happens.
    I know well these could be problems related to my own installation of the game, therefore any kind of feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by OmarPacha
    Hi all,
    I noticed that replacing the 4 new campaign map muslim musics (Arab Strat Summer, Arab Strat Winter) with the original MTW ones, the AoW mod works wonderfully, I can't absolutely say how it is, but it flows perfectly.
    The game doesn't seem to care that for non-muslim campaigns those musics are not to be read.
    It's quite abnormal indeed as I didn't find anything wrong in the musics format, the files might have been corrupted during upload or even after (I only have a hard suspicion on the third new music that is > 65MB that could affect something like the maximum amount of memory allowed for cached files).

Now- I've got 5 saved games (Algonquin, Argyll, Eskimos, Manx and Pisans) all evolved past the 1164;
    In Dorset Eskimo campaign I've been playing until 1186 when, 1 province left and outnumbered by Algonquin, decided to give up.
    Pisans played up to Papal respawn in 1173.
    It should be tested if same result can be achieved removing only 3rd music but first, I'd like to know if someone else is going to try this solution.

I found also 2 strange things;
    Algonquin agents walk on the water, yes, they swim happily from one sea to another and sometimes take rest out of map borders;
    In custom battle, some Eskimo units increase available cash, they have a negative hiring cost, no idea how it happens.
    I know well these could be problems related to my own installation of the game, therefore any kind of feedback will be greatly appreciated.
    Very interesting regarding the music thing mate, hopefully some others are able to try that and see if they get the same results.

The agents thing I will also look into, sounds very odd. The custom Eskimo thing is quite easily fixable I believe, I'll see if I have the same problems too.

Good work here Omar, findings like this can really help me get to the crux of the matter hopefully.

The music thing didn't work for me. I tested with County of Toulouse which is always a quick crash for me and it crashed on the second turn. Nice try though. It's good that people are looking and testing. Hopefully a fix will be found soon.

After replacing the music files, I tried to load my Gwynedd campaign which, up to then, always crashed after one more "End Turn". And, surprisingly, it worked. I played for quite a while (about 20 turns) Until I got annoyed and gave up after a unstoppable rebellion that kept reappearing and growing in size.
    I then started a German campaign which, unfortunately, didn't go quite as smoothly. After about 7 turns the French invaded and batting them off like flies I prepared for a counterattack, at which point the game crashed.

EDIT: Changing the "frontend" music file seems to have given my German campaign a few extra years... But alas, eventually i reached the inevitable point of CTD.
    Last edited by Koval; 07-03-2007 at 04:48.

Looking at the Norse in the startpos file SetNeighbours:: ID_SPANISH_COAST "North-West North Atlantic Ocean" is listed as a neighbor of ID_MUSCOVY "Godthab" but it's not. It neighbors ID_SMOLENSK "Julianehab on the campaign map, and that's not listed in the startpos file SetNeighbours:: . This may be part of the problem for the Norse.

Sorry to pile on :-) This is great work, with amazing potential!!!

We all just need to be patient for it to develop into what it can be.

That being said - my issues were as follows...

I played Toulouse for my first game (playing with 1.3 patch) - and there was a problem with the rebels (not east of me - they were fine), but the group west of me (at Montsegur Castle) there were about 4 or 5 units and I wanted to try to bribe them (NO matteosartori or any cheats of any kind on - just able to see them because they were adjacent) and when I clicked on them, including the leader 'Gutxi Urtzi' I received the 'no portraits for this type of unit' error. There were three types of rebels in this stack - 'toulouse communal militia', 'southern miles' and the kind that look like feudal seargants.

The units in my starting Toulouse stack- including 'Toulouse Communal Militia' and 'Southern Miles' were fine - but the rebels of same type were not.

Anyway, I quickly pressed ESC to get past that error, BUT got a CTD when I pressed 'End Turn' for the first time.

One other thing (possible explanantion for some of the problems some of us might be having)...
    I noticed in my Total War folder (where I had placed an unmodded VI 2.01) that there were two 'medieval - total war' folders - which I believe held the patches. I manually cut and pasted these over - but what was interesting is that they had not defaulted to my 'Total War' folder (which I was using to paste in the mod), but they were set to 'Medieval - Total War', and thus weren't automatically over-writing my 1.0 install.

Hope that helps.

I might have been doing something screwy with my folders and names, but just wanted to mention that pathing folder issue in case there is anything to it. Would the order matter when I cut and pasted over those additional (patch) files?

- amarok

Baron I will look into that mate, I've made some changes but haven't tried them yet.

Amarok you say there was a problem with the rebel leader's portrait? Or the info pics? I'll check that out.

Kingdom of Argyll: Mull and Kintyre, are both within the North Irish Sea which is their only immediate neighbor. The startpos file indicates they are also neighbored by the East-Central North Atlantic Ocean, but they are not. The East-Central North Atlantic Ocean neighbors the North Irish Sea, but not Mull or Kintyre. Hope this helps.

The Danes are working fine. It is the year 1247 and all is well.
    Had a few CTD's until the the anti-virus was shut and changed the screen setting. Then about 80 years with no problem. Haven't had to auto-calc in 80 years!
    The only odd thing is a shaman appears in the central-north atlantic.
    The message portraits for the Algonquin and the Dorset Eskimo's are blank.
    Updated to 1.3. I did not try the 1.2 because the first download got corupted.
    Thanks a bunch BKB, I'm going to have to try one of the lesser factions.

The Algonquin emmisaries portraits have large pixels, so the portraits look cubanist.
    The Dorset Eskimo's portriats are ok.
    I really enjoy this version.
    Last edited by Zathernon; 07-04-2007 at 13:27.

Great news mate, that's almost 100 years! I haven't really tried the Danes in detail but perhaps they are one of the more stable factions. You perhaps should try some others to see if your version is more stable due to the changes you have made.

The messages things should be blank mate, I didn't want them having Muslim ones. The portraits are slightly blurry but I had to rescale some pics to fit properly.

The Shaman thing is strange.

Well I already have , in the County of Toulouse.
    It is 1213 A.D. and so far things are normal. So normal that my so-called ally, ( aragon ) ,stabbed me in the back by attacking Count William V's land of Landuedoc. Fortune was with me for the neccessary security forces were already in place. Aragon will rue the day of it's folly.

As you already know, the rebel land of Foix has a portait problem.
    I don't want to name names but Zorian Bixente and Eztebe Asentizo are two of the faceless individuals.
    The only situation that befalls me is about the "Protector of the Cathars" award.
    It looks to give added peity of three , but both, make that the three times I used it the general lost what little piety he did have.
    The Catharist Church is in Provence if that helps.

btw: I am useing the Catalyst with the 8.383.0.0 driver dated june 13 2007.
    for the ati 9700 v-card.........

.........Now it is 1287 and the Genoese attacked and assaulted Marseille Castle in Provence. In the battle deployment screen, the movie window was just black.
    In the 3D battle there was no castle with catapults, just an open field with grassey knolls. The 120 UMs withdrew and now the 307 Genoese are in complete control of provence.
    In the previous Danish campaign, the Danes attacked Anglesey. There was a V.I. early fortification on the map, yet in the battle, just the same open field. Scandinavian Mercenaries versus 6 ponies, the rest of the army played cards.

The "Protector of the Cathars" is now in Aragon. When I put it on a general, he gained 3 Dread, 1 Acumen and 1 Command. He lost 1 loyalty and 3 Piety.
    Last edited by Zathernon; 07-05-2007 at 09:38.

Wow Zathernon mate it sounds like your version is even better than mine! I have made a note of all those problems and they all sound quite fixable, I'll get onto it.

I just wonder why your version is working so well, as I intended (but I have to admit I've not even got to 1287 with the Toulousains, for one reason or another. Now if you manage to get a good way in with the Norse I'll know for certain you are truly blessed!

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Terrific!

Although just played as the Norse and had a CTD at 1166, it autosaved the turn before too. I loaded again and it crashed again. I'll post more info when I have more info.

Edit: BKB would it be at all possible if I could borrow your Connacht graphics for BDTW?
    Last edited by naut; 07-06-2007 at 15:29.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Sure mate. Hopefully you can give me as much info as possible on that crash. I'm personally waiting to see if Zathernon plays as them and how far he gets.

Looks like an excellent mod i must say, but unfortunately no campaign for me seems to work. I've tried Connacht (a few times), the Uí Néill and Dorset Eskimo but everytime it crashes just after the loading screen is complete. All it shows me is the map, some labels and before i even get to move my mouse the screen goes blank. I had reinstalled my tw vi and dowloaded each of the patches and ran them but still no joy.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast