Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Age of Warlords

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

Default Age of Warlords

The first release of Age of Warlords is finally ready after two years in the making! This release is a BETA, and contains only the first period, Angevin Ascendancy.

You can get it here:

Age of Warlords Version 1.0 BETA

And the first patch, Version 1.2, can be found here:

Age of Warlords BETA Version 1.2 Patch

This patch is required to get the game working, and makes important changes to the campaign, particularly if you plan to play as the Indian factions. Please ensure you have 1.0 installed first.

However, you will also need the Version 1.3 patch to enjoy the game fully, and that can be obtained from here:

Age of Warlords Version 1.3 Patch

This version fixes custom and instant campaign crashes, and also includes many graphical improvements, largely thanks to Midnight and OmarPacha. Please install this over Version 1.2.

Now, the Age of Warlords first release features:

* A total new era, Angevin Ascendancy, beginning in 1154AD, when some of Europe's most powerful monarchs, including Henry II and Friedrich Barbarossa rule their respective thrones!

* A brand new map, featuring North-Western Europe, northern Iberia, northern Italy, Scandinavia, the North Atlantic, and, for the first time in Medieval mod, Greenland and parts of North America, all created lovingly in the style of the map of the original Medieval - Total War! Why concentrate on Continental Europe when the lucrative benefits of an overseas empire may be up for grabs?

* Almost 80 brand new units, with a further 70 more imported from the BKB Super Mod, making nearly 150 additional units in total! These include Cornish Spearmen, Gwent Longbowmen, Hermandades, Hirdmen, Konstaflers, Spadaccino, Teulu, Bidauts, Orkneyjar Infantry, Toulousain Communal Militia, Templar Sergeants, Greenland Settlers, and Flemish Knights!

* 22 playable factions! These include the returning English, French, Danes, Aragonese, Spanish and Holy Roman Empire, plus many brand new ones, such as the County of Hainaut, Pisa, Genoa, and the Norse!

* Recreate the events of the Albigensian Crusade with the presence of Catharism in the south of France, represented by another new faction, the County of Toulouse!

* Play as the 'Skraeling' Pagan indigenous hostiles of Greenland and North America! The Dorset Eskimo and Algonquin Tribes each feature exclusive units, while these two factions benefit from a brand new, totally unique tech tree, new map pieces, new portraits, and offer a completely different and exciting experience! Will you drive off the Western invaders or take the fight to them?

* Unprecedented focus on Medieval Norse-Celtic warfare around the Irish Sea, with the Kingdom of Galloway, the Kingdom of Argyll, the Kingdom of Man, the Scots, the Kingdom of Gwynedd, Deheubarth, the Ui Neill and the Kingdom of Connaught all vying for supremacy and contest to English dominance. Take control of famed leaders such as Somerled, Fergus of Galloway and Godred V of Man and lead your armies to glory!

* Numerous new agents, including a Cathar Priest, a Heretic Priest, Jewish Master Merchant and the dreaded Shaman!

* Numerous new ships, including Canoes, Nyvaigs and Nordic and Manx versions of the Knarr!

* Many new buildings and establishments, including a Cathar Church, Templar Headquarters, Whaling Station, Axesmith, the Leidang, the 'Rising Out', Cattle Farms, Scutage, and Law Courts!

* Proper Faction Shields in battle for the new factions!

* New factional titles, including ‘Royal Magistrates’, ‘Grand Masters of the Templars’, 'Lord Executioners', 'Champion of the Joust' and leaders of themed Heretical cults. Assign them at your peril!

* Adjustments to original unit stats and changes to original faction AI.

* Strong realism in terms of overseas expansion - the conquest of certain North Atlantic regions and all of North America made extra difficult by restrictions placed on building and recruitment - here horses and heavier units cannot be trained, while only a handful of buildings can be constructed, with a fort the maximum defensive structure available!

* Heightened 'Psychological' Warfare - Indian units fear horsemen and artillery while lesser French Catholic troops are scared by their 'Heretic' Cathar enemies, who in turn are wary of fanatical Knights Templar soldiers!

* Many new graphics, including new unit shields and flags for the new factions!

* New Trade goods - White furs, Exotic birds, Sulphur, Arms and Armour, Cattle and more!

* Hundreds of famous kings and new heroes added, all real!

* Brand new names for the new factions!

* New Loading Screen and Age of Warlords logo!

* New Music!

* Deadpage Coords!

* An Easy Auto-Install!

* Plus much, much more!

VERY IMPORTANT - A fresh install of MTW and VI is needed for this mod, it is not compatible with other mods and the normal campaigns.

THERE IS NO GLORIOUS ACHIEVEMENT MODE IN THIS MOD - IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO DO GIVEN THE THREE SEPARATE MAPS FOR EACH PERIOD.

Happy gaming

------------------------Edit by drone---------------------------
    Age of Warlords v1.0 local link
    Age of Warlords v1.2 patch local link
    Age of Warlords v1.3 patch local link
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by drone; 08-13-2012 at 04:46. Reason: added working links

Default Re: Age of Warlords Version 1.0 BETA Released!

Now, some people I would like to thank:

* Barocca - cleaned up the palettes on many pieces for me plus provided an immeasurable amount of help when I needed it. A top bloke.

* The Hellenic Mod team - for creating the brilliant battering ram and Eskimo bifs, and the base of the new Indian bif, truly great work guys.

* Iustinus - for all his help on the Indians and making the fantastic new skin for their bif and the new weapons.

* Riadach - for help with Irish research.

* Cegorach - for coming up with the 'Change Battle Mode' idea and generally being a good guy.

* Duke John - for his excellent new skins and animations.

* The maker of the Russian expansion mod - for use of some of his brilliant shield designs and info_pics.

* Midnight -for agreeing to make some brilliant new Eskimo portraits.

* OmarPacha - for kindly volunteering to 'clean up' and revise most of my review panel bifs and battle icons.

* Anyone who has posted in the Age of Warlords thread and has followed the mod's progress, thanks for you constant support throughout these past two years.

* And a very special thanks to Angus McBride, who I dedicate this mod to after his tragic passing last month. His work inspired many of the units in this mod and without him it probably would not have come to pass.

If I've forgotten anyone, I'm terribly sorry, please let me know.

Now, onto problems. There is a reason why this is a BETA, and I'll list the main two below:

1) Some crashes are evident. I strongly recommend playing with matteosartori off. It seems that the Norse may be more problematic than others, and I'm hoping you guys can help me find out why that is with the aid of this release. Some, like the Galwegians and Isles for example, I have played with for over 150 years without problem, so don't fear, there is a lot of stability with many factions also.

2) Now here's the more serious and perplexing one for the time being. For some bizarre reason, the Indian factions cannot move their men across seas, despite having canoes and ports in the right places. I have tried giving them Carracks even, but to no avail. The strange thing is that Catholic factions have no problem invading America and moving their units between these waters. Of course, this greatly hampers play with the Indian factions, as you can't support men on other islands nor invade Europe.

Now while myself and some others look to remedy this I have come up with a temporary solution that the patch provides. I have added land bridges between certain areas of North America and Greenland, so that units can be supported and that the Eskimo and Indian can fight each other. Its not ideal, as I don't believe you can progress any further than Greenland, but it is the best I can offer at this moment in time.

Now any bugs aside from these two (and I still want to know as much detail as possible about crashes anyway, so I can fix them), please list here. You know the Indian one, so PLEASE do not state it again, I am MORE than aware of it.

Here are things that I hope to improve/fix/add in future releases:

1) Hopefully a new Eskimo bif for their units, I'm not that happy with the current one, I want proper Eskimos!
    2) Possibly new Indian battle architecture?
    3) Possibly new Indian battle voices? (Any volunteers on this front would be greatly appreciated)
    4) The Trail by Fire and Battle period (?)
    5) ?

Anyway, I THINK that's everything, if I've forgotten anything I'll add it here. I hope you enjoy the game and please remember before you post everything wrong with it I did slug two years on it, so some kind words wouldn't go amiss.
    Last edited by The Blind King of Bohemia; 06-30-2007 at 18:59.

Dispensing plasmids one bacteria at a time...

Default Re: Age of Warlords Version 1.0 BETA Released!

Yay...downloading now.
    "Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?"

--Fry, Futurama, the show that does not advocate the cool crime of robbery

Default Re: Age of Warlords Version 1.0 Released!

Came up with this when I tried to start it -

"Unkown faction label used to indicate unit advantage: column 12, row 176

FN_DORSET"

been following this for ages now sounds like its going to be great

Did you have Viking Invasion installed mate? Has anyone else been experiencing such problems? Sorry about this if its a problem on my end.

yeah i got VI and the 2.01 patch, does it work with the patch?

You're spot on mate, but I've fixed the problem and a 1.2 patch with the amendments and a couple more fixes is imminent. This could be a pretty busy couple of days!

Alright I've uploaded it, 1.2, it eradicates the need for the first patch, but I must wait for Tosa to come on before he can give me the link. I'll post it here as soon as I'm done.
    Last edited by The Blind King of Bohemia; 06-14-2007 at 19:30.

I've uploaded Patch 1.2 on MegaUpload for the time being but I will update it with a better link later on:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2QGTBEHT

With this you don't need the 1.1 Patch, but if you've already installed that just install this over it. You shouldn't have any more problems getting it to work now.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

The day has come! We love you BKB!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval
    The day has come! We love you BKB!
    The feeling's mutual Ed mate.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

O RLY?
    Nice work mate.
    I love the fact that MTW modding is still up and running. My favourite game shall never die!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Congratulations BKB, downloading now. I know it'll be worth the wait.

Antagonist
    "Society is going down the drain, and it's everybody's fault but ours."

Arthurian Total War Developer

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ok, I downloaded the game and there's a few things I'd like to note. First, the custom battles weren't quite working right. When I tried to back out of the custom battle menu, it crashed. When I tried to fight a custom battle, it also crashed. The campaign ran smoothly enough for a while. I was playing as the Algonqian tribe. However, after a while, it crashed. The only thing I can think that I did different that turn was that I built a battering ram. One thing to note, I haven't yet gotten to any actual fighting, I'll report back as soon as I do.

BTW, nice job with the NA tech tree. Only downside was that it was kinda limited and I got through in pretty fast. I hope this helps you start identifying any bugs there might be in the beta.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Thanks its working now but I've found another problem. Playing as the kingdom of man it CTD on the first turn. I was trying to build a farm if that helps

Quote Originally Posted by scotty
    Thanks its working now but I've found another problem. Playing as the kingdom of man it CTD on the first turn. I was trying to build a farm if that helps

I've just done the same thing mate on the installation version and built several farms and the game worked fine with Man. Did you have Matteo Sartori on? Was the full map visible? I would recommend playing without that for the time being.

Greaterkhaan, you are right about custom battles, for some bizarre reason they are not working on the installation, but are working fine on my game. And furthermore, rather insanely battles are working fine in campaigns. I will look into this intensively and hope to get a further update out today, as I've never had a problem with custom battles before, I can only apologize about this.

And the NA Tech Tree is a bit small but there are several reasons for this:

1) The Indians are obviously not as advanced as the Western nations.

2) They can reach optimum levels quicker and put up a better defence against invasion.

3) In realistic terms, there is only so much you can do with Medieval buildings in terms of modding, and I couldn't really offer up anything truly unique.

Still, I think its pretty large and there's some intricacy to it.
    Last edited by The Blind King of Bohemia; 06-15-2007 at 12:11.

its ok now I've tried again and it only happens if I use enter to finish a turn. Seems fine if I just click on next turn

I don't think I knew you could use enter to end a turn mate! A strange one but if it keeps CTD's to a minimum I'd obviously recommend ending turn the conventional way, but I couldn't vouch as for why that would cause the game to crash I'm afraid.

Crusading historian Member cegorach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Blind King of Bohemia
    I've uploaded Patch 1.2 on MegaUpload for the time being but I will update it with a better link later on:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2QGTBEHT

With this you don't need the 1.1 Patch, but if you've already installed that just install this over it. You shouldn't have any more problems getting it to work now.

Can you upload the patch somewhere else too ? I really hate Megaupload...

I would like to see how it works for now, but got this error message with FN_DORSET unrecognised by the engine.

Try the first post mate, the amended patch is there. I cannot fathom for the life of me the Custom Battles problem, they work fine in my version but not in the installer. If you get a chance Ceg could you take a look, and let me know if you've come across the problem before?

You were not using Gnome, weren't you ?

So what was it - Dragon ? Something else ?

Problems with custom battles can be caused by minor errors in rear section of each units' data.

Quote Originally Posted by cegorach
    You were not using Gnome, weren't you ?

So what was it - Dragon ? Something else ?

Problems with custom battles can be caused by minor errors in rear section of each units' data.

I just edited the unit prod the way it was, the default way. The thing is Ceg the one I have released is the one I have, and the latter plays fine. I've never had a problem like this before. Its bugging the hell out of me

Hmm It still manages to freeze Gnome (on unit 202). Actually I have similar problem with custom battles in PMTW 2.0 ( English Civil War campaign) - campaign works fine...

Maybe the solution will be exactly the same, I will see.

P.S. Those native bifs look fine - I was worried you would use these 'eskimos' - still mine are better (at least I think so).

Different kinds of Indians mate. I think yours are better suiting of the Iroquois that later period, and I really like Iustinus' ones, I think he did a grand job.

The Eskimo clearly aren't that great, but I am working on changing those.

For the minute I would avoid custom battles for anyone downloading the mod. Just stick to the campaign till I have eradicated the problem
    Last edited by The Blind King of Bohemia; 06-15-2007 at 20:58.

@BKB: I've always CTD when I click for the first time "next turn"!
    I've already installed a fresh copy of MTW,VI,Age of Warlords and patch 1.2 of your mod,and I not use matteosartori for view the entire map!

Are you pressing 'Enter' mate? Try just clicking end turn instead, because that shouldn't happen, no matter who you are playing as.

Hi mate
    I cant download the 1.2 patch it give s a server error is there sommewhere else where i cane download the patch mate??? or is it possible to send it ?
    best regards axel

Have you tried the link in the first post mate? That's working fine for me.

hi mate
    i got the one of the first post 1.2 is that simler to the other one?? if so then its gaming time

1.2 is the same one mate. Just stay away from custom battles for the time being, there's a strange problem which I am in the midst of sorting out.

Wow, and me thinking there was hardly any finished or good mods for MTW, this is grand, good work :)

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast