Thread: Speachless with the cheapness of it.....

I was playing my first campaign today, and had taken over about 1/4 of the territories. I had no heir, my oldest son was 15 years old, 1 year to young. And what happens....my Daimyo dies from an illness!!!!! That was the cheapest thing i have ever seen in a game.....it really doesn't make me happy.

------------------
    "Never! I'll hack you from crotch to gizzard and feed what's left to your brides!"
    "Never! I'll hack you from crotch to gizzard and feed what's left to your brides!"

Have you tried reloading from a save game? I lost Shogun once when in second year Imagawa had my Hojo Daimyo assassinated.

Well, while praying that dying from illness was a random factor done each season, i loaded the last autosave. And it worked!!! I'm now back on my conquests. I just fought my first battle with over 1k people on each side as a matter of fact, and one, despite the fact i had 200 men less and about 300 of my men were the sucky arqs because i wanted to try them out and built a few to many of them. If it hadn't been for the fact i got about 6 units of reinforcements at least, i would have been butchered.

------------------

Sideswipe feature king Member shingenmitch2's Avatar

dieing like that is the beauty of this game. Every once in a while a random event, or suprise routing of an army will ruin the best laid plans...

Personally I would chalk that campaing up as a fair "Loss" and start over. computer 1, player 0, hehe

Retreat? Hell, we're just attacking in a different direction...

THE DEADLY SHINGEN

Senior Member Senior Member ShaiHulud's Avatar

Yah, good time to have saved... It's rare to see... avoid auto-calc, btw, if you want to spare your heirs from gallant deaths you would have avoided.

------------------
    Wind fells blossoms, rain
    fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks
    O stranger, Go tell the Spartans that we lie here, obedient to their will.....

I never autocalc unless i have like a 5-1 ratio against the enemy troops and no important people in the battle(high rank general, heir or daimyo). I've learned from other stratagy games that autocalc never works very well.

------------------

Hello

I have to agree with shingenmitch...
    The beaty about the campagne part of the game is that there is unpredictability, in the harvests and with your daimyo.
    Scrap the campaigne u lost now start over
    There is always next time to avenge the defeat muhahahaha
    Cya WarlordWarrior

------------------
    Have a nice day
    Die with Honour...
    Clan Warlord

[This message has been edited by JAG (edited 04-20-2001).]
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Senior Member Senior Member Shiro's Avatar

The sweet joys of autosave. How how I love thee.
    "Everything Shiro said sounds good to me."
    -Solypsist
    "Catiline is the one with the black rag and Shiro is erm...the other one..."
    -Tosa

Well, if the strategic game was properly designed, you would be able to play it all the way through using nothing but autocalc, and have a chance of winning even on expert difficulty. I wonder if anyone has been able to do this?

MizuYuuki ~~~
    Clan Takiyama ~~~

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Senior Member Senior Member ShaiHulud's Avatar

Someone said they were trying it... never heard from on that. I suspect you'd take a beating. Large numbers of low quality troops will win often. AI will have the production advantage.

------------------
    Wind fells blossoms, rain
    fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks
    O stranger, Go tell the Spartans that we lie here, obedient to their will.....

I can only do that with the koku cheat.

------------------
    A great warrior rarely reveal his true skills....
    A great warrior rarely reveal his true skills....

Ewwwwww, where would the fun in autocalcin' it through the game be??? I live to watch the cyberslaughter, even when it's my own ass here and there!

ShaiHulud,

I was the one who said he was going to try it, but I haven't gotten around to it. When I do, I'll try it on normal difficulty.

Moriboy,

The fun for me is that I find the battles in the single player campaign tedious except in the beginning. I play a lot online, and have lost interest in playing the ai. I have to go to expert difficulty to get challenging battles against the ai, but then the strategic game is way out of whack with the negative koku ai advantage. It would have been nice to be able to set the difficulty level for the strategic game and the tactical battles separately.

MizuYuuki ~~~
    Clan Takiyama ~~~

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Hello

I have done a whole campagne of anto calc and i won!!!!!
    it was normal diffuculty tho and i was playing with hojo, but this proves that it is possible
    Cya WarlordWarrior

------------------
    Have a nice day
    Die with Honour...
    Clan Warlord

[This message has been edited by JAG (edited 04-20-2001).]
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944