Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What makes you come back?

Default What makes you come back?

Not being certain why, I keep returning to the Org when I'm online. From all the forums I've ever registered myself to this is the only one that just... that's just right? There exists something making me feel at ease whenever I visit this board and I cannot specifically pinpoint what it is.

Perhaps I... I "love" the Org? No! Impossible! I do not love. Disregard it and just tell me: what is it that makes you visit this board?
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

He who controls Arrakis.. Member 71-hour Ahmed's Avatar

Default Re: What makes you come back?

I've not actively posted for about 2 years now, only just came back (I'd have posted earlier, but I forgot the password. then I came back from a drinking/ curry night and suddenly remembered it). The reason I came back is its just a lot nicer and more interesting here than most places on the internet.
    The scary thing about leaving the Org for a while and then coming back is the exponential growth of "gah!" on your return...

I return for the laughs, the babe thread, the discussions, the orgahs, the family! Yes the ORG is a family that backstabs each other over and over and over again, covers you with oil, burns you, and dances the macarena around you til you pass out. That's why I come back; the experience.

Wow Bijo, I've had similar thoughts lately, when I visit here, I usually feel good, I don't know why, but that's the way it is.
    It's certainly the best community I know on the web and there is no other forum where I have more than 500 posts I think.
    I'd even say I spend too much time here since I read here every morning when I should rather prepare for uni.
    Oh, and in the evening, when I should sleep(just joined the chat )...

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bijo
    What makes you come back?
    Teh peeps.

Despite the arguments and drama (or actually, in addition to that), this has accidentally become the finest assemblage of minds I've found on the 'net.

Folks from all over the world come here to find some info on a strategy game, and stick around for the free food, drinks, and conversation.

Still waiting the free food and drinks. Meanwhile, the conversation stimulates, every day.

Yeah, the family, as God's Grace said.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

One easily trifled with Member Target Champion Motep's Avatar

I come to the org when i have nothing better to do. Thus, I come here quite frequently.
    TosaInu shall never be forgotten.

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Usually, sans social life (basically, during the summer) I come here, since I know the people well, and they are genuinely intellectually stimulating.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

The mafia, the frontroom, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

I enjoy the variety of perspectives from patrons all over the globe, ranging in age from very young to rather old (like me). I no longer enter the Backroom, but even in the relatively mundane Front Room I find interesting topics and responses from time to time.

The Org is also a resource. I can ask a question and people will respond, or connect me with information, or with other people who might know about a thing that interests me. I return this service when I can.

Occasionally, I'll vent. It's interesting to see if others share my pain, tell me to "buck up," offer an alternative way of viewing the source of my stress, or just say "meh, whatever." Nowadays, it's a place to come and read lightweight stuff for a few minutes while I enjoy some tea and de-workify in the evening, and perhaps respond if a topic or statement inspires me to participate for whatever reason. Every once in a while a topic from the Heart appears, and reading the responses can sometimes restore a bit of my dwindling faith in humanity.

Heh, I also stick around because there are a few here who would like to see me leave, and I enjoy annoying them, however slightly.

As far as making friends go ... hmm. I've made a handful of very good friends which have lasted years now. But in all fairness, it has not been just through the Org. Most are people I met in the greater community of which the Org is a part: in the clans/non-clans, in the foyers, and on the battlefields. The number of personalities that intrigue me here has diminished over the last couple of years, but there are still a few.

Because I have not allowed the massed opinions of influencial patrons and staff to control my behavior in some instances where they felt I was out of line, it seems I've "lost some respect." This doesn't really matter. Oftentimes the like-minded attempt to use the giving or withholding of "respect" as a reward or weapon. It gives me satisfaction to deny them their intent, and to continue to think and act on my own convictions, despite their petty consequences.

Finally, I've gained bits of ... wisdom that have proven useful in my journey, from both older and younger patrons here. I like to think that maybe my perspective has proven useful to others from time to time. I think this is the primary reason why I stay, or return after a needed respite.
    Last edited by Togakure; 06-15-2007 at 04:27. Reason: typo correction
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South
    hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

This place called Mars... do you know of it?

It's cleaner and the humor around here is very good. And you know you're with mature people who seem to have excellent temperaments. But I haven't been around long enough but this is my reason.
    "No one said it was gonna be easy! If it was, everyone would do it..that's who you know who really wants it."

All us men suffer in equal parts, it's our lot in life, and no man goes without a broken heart or a lost love. Like holding your dog as he takes his last breath and dies in your arms, it's a rite of passage. Unavoidable. And honestly, I can't imagine life without that depth of feeling.-Bierut

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

Took a break, but I'm back!

Guess the .Org calls to you!

Viceroy of the Indian Empire Member Duke Malcolm's Avatar
    Dùn Dèagh, the People's Republic of Scotland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

I have developed a reflex that when opening Internet Explorer to type "for..." and the appropriate webpage will come up below and I just click on it absent-mindedly.
    It was not theirs to reason why,
    It was not theirs to make reply,
    It was theirs but to do or die.
    -The Charge of the Light Brigade - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

"Wherever this stone shall lie, the King of the Scots shall rule"
    -Prophecy of the Stone of Destiny

"For God, For King and country, For loved ones home and Empire, For the sacred cause of justice, and The freedom of the world, They buried him among the kings because he, Had done good toward God and toward his house."
    -Inscription on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Well, the backroom mostly. Interesting people who can clearly formulate their opinion, viewpoints on current events from all over the globe, and debating can just be *fun*.
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

The fact that calling someone a would earn you a ban, rather than the admiration of half a dozen other keyboard warriors posting in their crusty underpants.

Its a simple rule but one that other forums seem to find hard to implement.

All else flows from this.
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

It's closer than the bar. And cheaper.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    The fact that calling someone a would earn you a ban, rather than the admiration of half a dozen other keyboard warriors posting in their crusty underpants.

Its a simple rule but one that other forums seem to find hard to implement.

All else flows from this.
    You !!!

I keep coming back because of the interesting people and I like this forum because it is not too big so everyone knows who everyone is. I like the arguements and stuff. I actually haven't posted in the Total War section for about 5 months.
    Last edited by Lorenzo_H; 06-15-2007 at 11:42.
    I support Israel

Hellpuppy unleashed Member Subedei's Avatar

I keep coming back b/c one has nowhere in the web a place where so many history freaks got a little place to chat about a very good game series, about history & I also like the style of humour here.

Plus: The big variety of people, the home of EB, the other mods, the AARs [!!!] and lots of other things...
    “Some may never live, but the crazy never die” (Hunter S. Thompson)

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

I came for EB, but stayed for the people... and EB...
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

It feels like it's gonna last. TW is what brought me to this forum, but even when you have lost interest in those games you can keep coming back without feeling out of place.

At the moment the Google Map game is my main interest as the Backroom has cycled into the "hate" period again

Not affiliated with Red Dwarf. Member Ianofsmeg16's Avatar
    Home of Palm trees, cats with no tails, three-legged men, fairies...and more german bikers than germany

What makes you come back?
    Beirut <3

When I was a child
    I caught a fleeting glimpse
    Out of the corner of my eye.
    I turned to look but it was gone
    I cannot put my finger on it now
    The child is grown,
    The dream is gone.
    I have become comfortably numb...

Proud Supporter of the Gahzette

I'll say that it has a lot of very good content on the TW games first. then ther is,as other said, an opportunity to have a peek on how people from almost everywhere react (has to be moderated, as we're speaking of internet users), while staying civilized.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

The knowledge, the humility, the maturity, the good musical tastes (*cough* Floyd *cough*), the jokes, the puns, the advice, the babe thread, the debates, the insights, the discussions, the ideas, the lack of pointless aggression, the intellectualism, the suggestions, oh, and TosaInu.

But I guess all-in-all it's the members who contribute and the mods who hold it all together.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Rythmic
    But I guess all-in-all it's the members who contribute and the mods who hold it all together.
    That sums it up very neatly.

(I have somehow the same experience with my Taekwondo dojang. What makes me train more and more is the people there, and the "teachers". How interesting...)

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

this is set as the "home page" in my browser and I don´t know how to change it!

just kidding......

I come here for the discussions in the backroom......it´s a "I love the smell of napalm in the morning" sort of thing
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

The chip in my head which is set to explode if I don't hit my 4.83 ppd average.

Other than that just the friendly people, welcoming atmosphere and interesting threads.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Lots of good reasons mentioned. I think Rythmic summed it all up best for me.
    This space intentionally left blank

What makes me come back?

The wonderfull nice MP section
    *cough*
    And especially the great poster Puzz3D
    *bigger cough*

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Well, I came back to the org, because I miss the org.
    And I have Pms unread, topics to reply, etc.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast