Thread: "Cut-off" suggestion

Default "Cut-off" suggestion

My suggestion is this: allow for an extra little option for the editor that has the same function as but isn't called a spoiler, but a cut-off (or another word that fits).
    Its use would be to cut off long messages here and there to shorten things up.

Example: you have written a couple of paragraphs but it's too long, so you decide to leave the main phrase(s) (top and/or bottom of paragraph(s)), but rather the top) and cut off the rest(s), so a reader can just click ze button.

Example: it's used to cut off a piece of text if it's not so necessary to display, as it's not the main issue.

If I recall well, it's also used at Livejournal (LJ), though it functions differently. I think here on the ORG a simple copy and rename of the [spoiler] function would do quite well. And then to maybe make it more subtle as you open/close the text. Maybe a blue "link-like" text of "Read more..." at exactly the spot where the text should be, and to not have a window like [spoiler] does.

Sound good? :)
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

Post Re: "Cut-off" suggestion

Hi,
    We do already have a non-spoiler collapsible feature which is [ex][/ex], and results in this:
    This text is collapsed
    However, it is not widely used. Sadly, however, it is basically is a spoiler tag without the spoiler text, so it still has the window feature. Sorry.
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 05-13-2007 at 18:18.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Default Re: "Cut-off" suggestion

You basically want to rename the button: Read more.. ? A link instead of a button?

I think it would still be a window, but one without a visible border.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Default AW: "Cut-off" suggestion

Hmmm, I didn't know about the [ex] thing, Omanes. I never saw it. I still don't see it. Where it at?

Quote Originally Posted by Tosa
    You basically want to rename the button: Read more.. ? A link instead of a button?

I think it would still be a window, but one without a visible border.
    Yes, that's exactly what I mean. And the text should precisely be where it would be if the option wasn't used.

With the [spoiler] or the [ex](?) it's still placed generally in the middle and kind of disconnected from the main text. Suppose you cut off a whole paragraph except for the first phrase: it'd be nice if the cut-off text would nicely connect to this first phrase.

---

No.

---

Post Re: "Cut-off" suggestion

Hi again Bijo,
    To acess the code list simply click on the "vB code is On" section on the posting rules area (the bit that looks like this) when you are making a post or starting a brand new thread. Hope this helps, cheers!
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Hello Omanes.

Good to know: I hardly check the vB code list for all those codes. ...usually use often-used shortcuts or those little buttons just above the editor, but didn't notice any [ex] button up there. Thanks for clearing up :)

---

No.

---

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

When I first saw this topic, I thought it was one of those Backroom stories that Banquo and Lemur are (in)famous for.

Hello Bijo,

It's still a button, but this is what you like it to be right?

blabla
    blablabla
    blablablabla

Ja mata

TosaInu

Thumbs up AW: Re: "Cut-off" suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    Hello Bijo,

It's still a button, but this is what you like it to be right?

blabla
    blablabla
    blablablabla

Yes: that's what I meant. The other thing was to have a line saying something (like "Read more..." or something) where the actual written text would appear, and as you'd click on "Read more..." the actual text would replace/remove the "Read more..."
    Though now that I think of it, that part of my idea is the worst, about replacing the text, as it would remove the reader's option to fold it back again to save space.

In a thread in the Backroom I used the [ex] option before I saw this here and thought I noticed a change but wasn't too sure. I was going to post here to ask you if that was your doing :) Thanks! I think it looks very good

Are you going to leave it like this, or are you going to put it back to the previous thing? Just wondering :)

---

No.

---

Default Re: AW: Re: "Cut-off" suggestion

Hello Bijo,

I doubt the tag has been used much before. And to me it seems better than it was. So I do not see reasons to roll it back.

Show is replaced by More..

Maybe I'll find a tiny cosmetic tweak for the button, but the function will remain what it is.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Hello Tosa,

Looking better, heh heh :) Btw, I have a suggestion to encourage use of the [ex] tag.

I'm not so sure which of the three editors is mostly used, but if I'm right the Standard one and the WYSISYG one both display the same buttons at the top. I suggest adding an [ex] button to them right there so it's more easily spotted (though it might not be).

---

No.

---

I just noticed the thread for the "ext" (or "ex") test. It's closed thus I post my observations / comments here.

While I appreciate your efforts, Tosa, in maintaining this fine board, and previously carrying out my wish regarding the ex tag, I sense it is my duty -- as a member of these forums -- to deliver critique.

With all honesty the first button that contains 'More' could become an unclear or false one after its text is changed to 'Read'. I merely look at it logically and due to it I must conclude it is illogical.

Explanation: 'More', first, is logically sound, while 'Read' immediately thereafter -- while the text block is open -- is not. The reason is that when pressing 'Read' the closing of the text block makes no sense because the description and action do not properly relate contextually.

---

No.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Bijo
    Explanation: 'More', first, is logically sound, while 'Read' immediately thereafter -- while the text block is open -- is not. The reason is that when pressing 'Read' the closing of the text block makes no sense because the description and action do not properly relate contextually.
    That's what I thought before, but IIRC the "Read" means that the text has been read. Similar to how threads can be marked as read, this is meant to mark the hidden part as read, usually this would be logical I guess since it's open already, so changing it to "close" might make sense, except if there is anyone who constantly forgets what he read already.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Hello Bijo,

It's about the same ex tag, so it's easier to have it all together in one topic.

I understand the confusion.

read read read.

Another pity is that when you close it by using the lower button, that the page can appear to jump to several posts ahead.

It's not a closed case.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Hmmm, I see now the reasoning. The word 'Read' would signify not a verb as in "to read" but the fact (then) that the text block is assumed "to have been read". Logical.

Nevertheless, indeed, still confusing. If one does the act of mouse-clicking the 'Read' button -- when the block is open -- it is a current action and 'Read' would not describe the action.

Hmmm, and then the other problem that is mentioned. Well, I hope solutions will be found.
    Last edited by Bijo; 06-15-2007 at 19:24.

---

No.

---