Poll: Who has floppys?

Thread: Floppy Discs; who still has and uses them?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    He who controls Arrakis.. Member 71-hour Ahmed's Avatar

Default Floppy Discs; who still has and uses them?

I just got rid of my last three floppy discs today. It was slightly surreal as I discovered that my newish PC doesn't have a floppy drive, which I'd not even noticed for 6 months until today. I had to use the laptops USB floppy drive to get the data off them.

Anyway, this got me wondering, given that I only really stopped using them 2 - 3 years ago, who else still has floppy discs and drives, and who is still using them (or can admit to it, you 19th Century luddites you! )?

I'd be really impressed if anyone still has one of those 5 1/4" discs they had when I was a child.
    The scary thing about leaving the Org for a while and then coming back is the exponential growth of "gah!" on your return...

Default Re: Floppy Discs; who still has and uses them?

Haven't used them since my floppy disc drive broke many years ago.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

I still have them, but never use them for a long time...okay, maybe not that long, but they're no more than "antique stuff" now
    Medieval 2: Total War Guide to Traits and Retinue
    "Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair but manifestations of strength and resolution." - Khalil Gibran

World War 3 erupted in mid-1960's: NATO - Warsaw Pact Conflict multiplayer Interactive, choose one from several available countries

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

I dont use floppy disks, but I have a fd drive.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

I still have quite a few, including Win95 on 3 1/2" floppies. I never use them of course but have never thrown them away. I did use floppies quite a bit in my last job but that was the exception. I haven't used any 5 /14" floppies or 3 1/2" 720KB (Double Density) since about '94. Quite a bit before my time there were the 8" floppies which I've only seen in college lectures.

There are occasions where you simply need floppies, such as booting from one to flash a BIOS or something similar.
    Last edited by caravel; 06-17-2007 at 00:59.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Still have them, rarely use them. Usually, if I'm troubleshooting or installing I might need to use one. I probably haven't actually bought a new floppy disc in close to 10 years.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln