Thread: Flaming Arrows vs Normal Arrows.

Default Flaming Arrows vs Normal Arrows.

It says that flaming arrows damages moral but are less acurate but what does everyone use. I find that if I am not killing with regular arrows I will sometimes switch but as a whole, its more of what I am in the mood for instead of tactical. I vote for flaming in my post.

Damn, can someone make this a poll or explain how to make a poll, I thought I did it this time but it appears that I didn't.
    Last edited by Budwise; 06-18-2007 at 01:11.
    Work, Girlfriend, Responsibilities, Reality, Kids, and MTW - all things in life make life worth living.

Edit October 17th, 2007
    Work-Still hate it but I appreciate having it more now.
    Girlfriend - ? - looks like I am helping Nga now. Miss sex though.
    Responsibilities, Too many bills to too little money
    Reality - (Censored)
    Kids - My son is improving a little bit each day, still far behind but I may have more kids in the future.
    MTW - Kingdoms installed but...Urggg, too soon.
    ----------------
    Conclusion, Life is worth Living now.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Default Re: Flaming Arrows vs Normal Arrows.

Here's another thread in the Citadel that asked your question and had extensive answers:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=73879
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

That topic doesn't seem to note that if you have fire arrows on for the first volley and immediately switch to regular (as in around the time you see the "firing" icon, give or take about a 5 second window) that your units don't take that forever to reload (like firing 2 fire volleys), but fire like they shot two regular ones.

"Don't mind me, i happen the have the Insane trait....." -Me

Yeah, I often take advantage of that.

It only makes sense that it's quicker to fire the first volley; after all, you'd have had plenty of time to prepare.

...now to get that mentality switched to the loading of siege weapons
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Slaying Pagans near you! Member TeutonicKnight's Avatar

The only time I use fire arrows is when I'm hoping to break an enemy army through morale loss, like when I'm outnumbered heavily or there's a few specific units I want to get rid of quickly (Flemish Pikemen come to mind).

Otherwise, it's almost always better to use regular arrows. Faster rate of fire, more accurate, and all that.

I usually only use them in seiges when in real life the equipment would have been on hand.
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

Corrupter of Souls Member John_Longarrow's Avatar
    Be it ever so humble, there's no place like the Abyss...

Personally I love using them early on when attacking a settlement with mostly infantry guarding it.

Nothing like getting a close up look on the enemy as their troops burst into flame!!! Totally kewl!

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

Last night I was attacked by Venice while guarding the bridge near Zagreb. Venice sent two stacks (some 4000 men) against my mine. The first consisted of elite (ahum) mercenaries and was easy destroyed by flaming arrows and a charge from my armored swords. During the infantry charge I had ordered my archers not to fire. When the second stack started to cross the bridge I withdrew my infantry and gave the archers the order to fire. 6 yeoman archers and two longbows fired one big volley. It was awesome WOOOOW.
    Tosa Inu

Lord of Underpants Member Seabourch's Avatar

Flaming arrows. They damage more and they give you this cool image of burning soldiers+lower morale.

just in my experiance they do less damage, as they are less accurate, i just use them when i'm bored or am trying to rout someone from the fear
    And when the brazen cry of achilles
    Was heard among the trojans, all their hearts
    Were troubled, and the full-maned horses whirled
    The chariots backward, knowing griefs at hand...

They will in fact do more damage, as while each volley produces less kills, they still get the same amount of arrows as on normal mode, and thus will take twice as long to run out of ammo.
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer