Thread: Congress Approval Down to 29%; Bush Approval Steady at 33%

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Default Congress Approval Down to 29%; Bush Approval Steady at 33%

What a great group we have in Washington. And just think most of these people will return to office in 08.
    May 15, 2007
    Congress Approval Down to 29%; Bush Approval Steady at 33%
    Both ratings are slightly lower than 2007 averages

by Joseph Carroll

GALLUP NEWS SERVICE

PRINCETON, NJ -- A new Gallup Poll finds continued low levels of public support for both Congress and President George W. Bush. Twenty-nine percent of Americans approve of Congress, down slightly from last month's reading (33%) and this year's high point of 37%, while Bush's approval rating is holding steady at 33%. Both the ratings of Congress and the president are slightly lower than their respective 2007 averages. Approval ratings of Congress are higher among Democrats than Republicans, while Bush's ratings are much higher among Republicans.

Congressional Job Approval

According to the May 10-13, 2007, Gallup Poll, 29% of Americans approve and 64% disapprove of the way Congress is handling its job. Congressional approval is down 4 percentage points since last month, and is 3 points lower than the 32% average measured during the first five months of the year. The high point for the congressional approval rating so far this year was the 37% approval measured in February. Although ratings are quite low, Americans have been more positive in their assessments of Congress this year than last year, when an average of just 25% approved of Congress.
    Now I ask you would any of us keep our jobs with a job rating like that?
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Default Re: Congress Approval Down to 29%; Bush Approval Steady at 33%

Interesting, I'm surprised congress is doing worse then bush. Perhasp a perdiction on the '08 elections?
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I want term limits, dangit.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer of Hope
    Interesting, I'm surprised congress is doing worse then bush. Perhasp a perdiction on the '08 elections?
    My guess is that it's disappointment. I voted Democrat across the board last time, not because I am one (I'm not), but because in situations like this you essentially vote out incumbents as a matter of effecting change and sending a message. Crude and often backfires, but it does seem to work short term. I think a lot of us were expecting more decisive action from the Dems, and they've all but failed to deliver on it.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer of Hope
    Actually, Congress' approval ratings are almost always low, as opposed to Presidential approval ratings, which tend to be much higher.

The real picture comes into view when you ask voters how they like their congressman. Then you start to see numbers similar to the President.

None of which excuses the shabby behavior and pork-addled cesspool that is our congress. It's too early to declare this congress an even worse one than the last one, but they're still gearing up. They haven't had their Ted Stevens "bridge to nowhere" moment, but you can feel it coming.

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

The thing that I find funny about Congress? They never miss a chance to blame the president for anything, including Harry Reid's decision to pull the shamnesty bill off the Senate floor. Yet as soon as they get done with their tirade, Harry and Nancy always conclude with "Of course, we are moderate and reasonable. We would welcome a chance to work in a bipartisan fashion...." I think the fill in the blank is ".... if the Republicans would just shut up, admit they're wrong and capitulate on every last item."

Regardless of how Bush or Reid are spinning this, I think the real sign of how popular that Shamnesty bill really is was when Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein refused to vote for cloture. You can speak about partisanship, being racist, any cheap political trick you like. Those two are not Republican hacks, or nativists for that matter, by any stretch of the imagination and they don't want it either.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

well that just shows what the solution was to stop Bush´s approval decline... take away his power!!!

no more bad decisions....no more lowering approval

Congress is the only game in town right now....so they get everyone´s (bad) attention.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Hardly surprising, the congress and the president are doing thier jobs poorly.

Why wouldnt they have a low approval rating?

Oh right, the U.S. voters are apathetic and not educated about thier legislators....

Seems to me this is dead on.
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Congress at 23% approval.

Bush at 29% approval.

SCOTUS at 51% approval.

So, as we head into summer, the country's mood is: not good. Looks like we trust the judiciary, but only just barely, and have little faith in our elected leadership.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Nonsense. Every right-thinking person knows that El Presidente was appointed by God, so approval ratings just don't matter.

And as I said earlier in the thread, Congressional approval ratings as a whole are always low. Everybody thinks that everybody else's Senator is a scumbag, as opposed to their own, who is okay. Drudge has been the main guy peddling this pairing of statistics as a somewhat obvious way to deflect on Bush's lower-than-Carter ratings.

Everybody thinks that everybody else's Senator is a scumbag, as opposed to their own, who is okay.
    Are you serious, Mine are the worst Hillary ?

I have noticed that the posters from Clinton and Schumer country tend to be a little more ... emphatic ... than others.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Gawain, usually you and I agree, but I must insist my Senators are the worst. Though just barely.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

I find it funny when people talk bad about their politicians, and at the same time forgets who put them there.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Picture adjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    Are you serious, Mine are the worst Hillary ?
    Libby Dole and Richard Burr. BOOYAH!

I find it funny when people talk bad about their politicians, and at the same time forgets who put them there.
    It sure wasnt me I always vote Libertarian so I can never catch the blame here.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Bush isn't appointed by God.

He is god!

Atleast that's what he wants to believe...

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    It sure wasnt me I always vote Libertarian so I can never catch the blame here.
    I can't say I did that, BUT I sure as hell didn't vote for the Bushwad. I still like giving my dad complete hell for doing so. It really does make me wonder if we'd be in this situation if Kerry had actually made it into office...

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

Like that 'Jefferson' rep. from Louisiana.
    He has this 'FBI Conspiracy' crap, and his electorate is buying it.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Moros
    Bush isn't appointed by God.

He is god!

Atleast that's what he wants to believe...

Such wit!

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Barnum is reported to have quipped that:

"nobody ever went broke under-estimating the intelligence of the American public."

Our politicos were obviously listening.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken