Thread: The Etuscans

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Etruscans

Genetic research made public at the weekend appears to put the matter beyond doubt, however. It shows the Etruscans came from the area which is now Turkey - and that the nearest genetic relatives of many of today's Tuscans and Umbrians are to be found, not in Italy, but around Izmir.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/internatio...105308,00.html

Very interesting stuff.
    Last edited by InsaneApache; 06-19-2007 at 22:53.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Default Re: The Etuscans

Indeed!

But the latest conclusions may add weight to a rival, apparently more fanciful, theory that links their name to Troy, the "city of towers" and a part of the Lydian empire. The most likely date for the fall of Troy, as described by Homer, is between 1250 and 1200 BC.
    The Romans had a myth about their supposed descendence from Aeneas and other Trojan refugees, adopted from the Etruscans maybe?

Join the ICLADOLLABOJADALLA! Member IrishArmenian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kralizec
    Indeed!

The Romans had a myth about their supposed descendence from Aeneas and other Trojan refugees, adopted from the Etruscans maybe?
    Definitley a possibility, good thinking, Kraz.

"Half of your brain is that of a ten year old and the other half is that of a ten year old that chainsmokes and drinks his liver dead!" --Hagop Beegan

Quote Originally Posted by Kralizec
    Indeed!

Ha! Brilliant man! Brilliant!

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Thanks for flagging that up, IA, a nice find

It's a question I've been pondering a while, and had just about come to the clonclusion that the Etruscans were actually relict non-Indo-Europeans of the West Mediterranean group, and that the whole Tyrrhenus story was fanciful claptrap. How wrong I was

But it certainly would be consistent with the Romans' Aenean myth as well. I wonder if it will get us any closer to deciphering the rest of the language, as it seems then it should be a variant of Luwian.
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Quote Originally Posted by macsen rufus
    It's a question I've been pondering a while, and had just about come to the clonclusion that the Etruscans were actually relict non-Indo-Europeans of the West Mediterranean group, and that the whole Tyrrhenus story was fanciful claptrap. How wrong I was
    what do you mean by non-indo-european?

linguistically speaking they were almost certainly not of the indo-european family.

had you been thinking they were akin to the basques.

this seems like a reasonably good study. ive done work in this area myself. it doesnt sound like they used dna from any ancinet remains which would hae been more conclusive.

the population transfer could theoretically have been in the reverse direction, but these results are at least consistent with ancient accounts.

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Hi Kartlos - yes, the theory I'd been favouring til this latest info was that the Etruscans had come from the West Med / Iberian group, so yes, that would have made them related to the Basques. It's been clear that the language wasn't IE for quite a while, but being undeciphered, deciding whether it had come from east or west was problematic. But as everyone and his dog claimed descent from the Trojans, it was something I took with a pinch of salt. But the DNA seems pretty conclusive, so long as we can discount later migrations, of course.
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4