Thread: A Simple Guide for Complaing about Unit Stats

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default A Simple Guide for Complaing about Unit Stats

What should I do if I think a unit is underpowered?

Before posting anything about a unit whose stats you think are wrong, please check to see if the unit is using the spear attribute. This can be done by opening the export_descr_unit.txt, found in the EB/Data folder and searching for the appropriate folder. If the unit in question has said attribute, than you have probably found the cause of your problems (or at least the ones associated with that unit). To fix the problem for yourself, change "spear" to "no" (unless there are other attributes present, in that case, just delete it). If you do not find that attribute, then go ahead and post something and I or someone else will see if we know what the problem is (if there even is a problem).

Why is the Spear Attribute so bad?

The spear attribute gives a rather large penalty to a unit engaged against enemy infantry. Our stat system was not designed with this in mind. In short, I HATE the spear attribute.

If you hate the spear attribute, why is it in the game?

The spear attribute was mistakingly given to some units by unit integration people (don't blame them, they didn't know) and others are left over from a very long, long time ago.

Will the spear attribute be removed in the next release?

It already has been.

What should I do if I think a unit is overpowered or has some other problem?

Go ahead and post something, someone will take a look. Keep in mind that your problem may have already been fixed in our internal build or we may not consider it a problem it all.

What if I think that the Gaesatae and/or Tindanotae (Celtic Fanatics) are overpowered and feel it necessary to post a thread about the subject?

We are comfortable with our stats for Celtic fanatics and will not change them, so don't post a thread about the subject. If you really don't like them, just reduce their hitpoints from 2 to 1 and maybe reduce morale a bit.

How does EB stat its units?

A complex system, a magic (if somwhat out of date) spreadsheet, and a lot of testing.

Will EB release its stat system to the public?

Maybe some day, but probably not anytime soon.

Will EB release its magic spreadsheets to the public?

No.

Why do some spear-armed cavalry have lethality of 0.15 and others of 0.33?

That's part of our system.

How does EB determine a unit's cost?

A system and a magic spreadsheet. Costs, though, are often left open to some tweaking if we feel there is a gameplay issue.

I notice that there are some costs which seem inconsistent, should I report them?

No. All costs have been reviewed and all problems have been fixed (I hope...).

If I do have something legitimate to complain about, where should I do my complaining?

This thread is probably as good as any, or maybe another one.
    Last edited by tk-421; 06-27-2007 at 19:38.

Visit the EB Help Required Thread

"His only addiction was to practice." - John Coltrane, describing Eric Dolphy

"and thus it cannot be performed, because one cannot perform that which does not exist." - Arnold Schönberg