Thread: 3rd storm this month to hit NSW

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Default 3rd storm this month to hit NSW

Emergency crews ready for storm

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Emergency crews stood ready tonight as residents of NSW coastal areas braced for what threatened to be the most dangerous of three major storms to hit the state this month.

Cyclonic winds up to 125kmh and huge waves were forecast to batter the coastline from tonight and into tomorrow, starting at Moruya in the state's south and moving north.

Forecasters warned of cyclone-strength winds whipped up by an intense low pressure system.

Emergency Services Minister Nathan Rees said residents of coastal areas as far north as Smoky Cape, on the state's Mid North Coast, should expect a return of severe weather conditions that have already prompted NSW households to make 18,000 calls to the State Emergency Service this month.

Climate consultancy company Weatherzone said the state should brace for its "third, and possibly strongest lashing in the space of a fortnight".

Premier Morris Iemma, paying tribute to the 3000 emergency services members who had worked in the Hunter, Central Coast and throughout Sydney during last week's wild weather, said the state already faced huge damage costs.

"Estimates are that the damage bill will ultimately top $1 billion, larger than either the [1999] Sydney hailstorm or the [1989] Newcastle earthquake," he said.

Mr Rees said emergency services were preparing for conditions comparable with the 1999 hailstorm and the storm which struck on the Queen's Birthday long weekend earlier this month.

The winds were predicted to build in Sydney from about 10pm (AEST) and to peak between 2am and 3am.
    And I'm heading home at 11:30pm and arriving home...oh about 12:30am... crikey, a bit close for my liking. I hope the two massive gum trees in the neighbours yard work as wind breaks and not break off instead.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Default Re: 3rd storm this month to hit NSW

We're in a drought, you get three storms - gotta love nature

Hope you get home alright - that is cutting it pretty close; you'll probably get the front end of the storm...
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Gah, cyclonic winds, just what we need. Don't risk the trip if it's really bad, Papewaio.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Rythmic
    Gah, cyclonic winds, just what we need. Don't risk the trip if it's really bad, Papewaio.
    I imagine staying the night at work might make it all the worse when he does get home
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sapi
    We're in a drought, you get three storms - gotta love nature

Hope you get home alright - that is cutting it pretty close; you'll probably get the front end of the storm...
    Over 90% of NSW is in Drought

It's been pretty wet around here... just thought I would throw that in...
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

I imagine staying the night at work might make it all the worse when he does get home
    Damned if I do, damned if I don't... or should that be build a dam if I do, build a dam if I don't... floods always confuse me.

At least the bar fridge is semi-stocked...
    4 beers, a bottle of yellow glen, some cheap sparkling, black bean and beef chinese take out, couple of cans of fanta and sprite... and about 20 cans of diet coke that are considered so bad they just sit on top of the fridge...

That and an automatic espresso machine down the hall.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

So, you're gonna stay buttoned-up at work?

Best of luck, buddy. If push comes to shove, remember: Diet Coke floats! :)
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

It is eerily calm outside so I think I will leave, but I have 20 minutes to wait.

If I stay I will crank up Dawn of War Crusades and take another crack at the campaign.

That storm was such a let down, we got barely any wind at all.
    #Hillary4prism

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio
    Emergency crews ready for storm

And I'm heading home at 11:30pm and arriving home...oh about 12:30am... crikey, a bit close for my liking. I hope the two massive gum trees in the neighbours yard work as wind breaks and not break off instead.

wrath of God dude

Hes punishing you for losing the origin to the Morones

now repent your sins before its too late and burn your total war CDs, and that collection of Kylie albums TOO!!
    Last edited by Yun Dog; 06-20-2007 at 09:08.
    Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    its pevergeren.

Yeah same. I'm in central/southern Sydney.
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Quote Originally Posted by Yun al-Din
    wrath of God dude

Hes punishing you for losing the origin to the Morones

now repent your sins before its too late and burn your total war CDs, and that collection of Kylie albums TOO!!
    Family farm: WA
    Graduated Highschool: WA
    Graduated Uni: WA
    Graduate Job: WA outback.

Methinks I'm more Sandgroper then Cockroach...

That's because we got it all <insert frozen smiley here>

So, Pape, did you come from WA before or after you guys lost the Origin?

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Meh. Unimpressed. It hasn't stopped raining in 10 days over here. Talk about a depressing summer...
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

That's because we got it all <insert frozen smiley here>

So, Pape, did you come from WA before or after you guys lost the Origin?
    I was born in Fiji, raised in NZ, have a Welsh mum from the original South Wales... so at a guess I follow Union not League... but that wouldn't be entirely true as I also follow the Eagles in AFL after living in WA for ten years, really enjoy watching 7 aside Rugby (back when they didn't just show the highlights), used to follow the American 49ers... League and Cricket are two games that I don't mind who wins as long as it is an exciting close game.

I am curious as to the climate in Australlia, oceania. Is this trend not normal for you guys? Is this causing issues with your economy/crops?

Green issues are important to me, and Im curious as to what the general mood is in your area (via media, pub talk, politicians) about climate change? Is it getting the traction it does like in the EU? Or is it back burner like here in the U.S. ?
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

Australia has an unusual climate that is not as stable seasonal wise as say Europe. It is much more at the mercy of the east-west conveyor of water through the Pacific... the El Nino effect...

The storms really are only grazing the coast, NSW is suffering a drought that covers an area larger then Texas... about 90% of NSW is under drought conditions.

Anyhow the frequency and intensity of storms is more then normal and causing a fair amount of damage. luckily we have fairly good State Emergency Services in Australia and they are all handy guys and gals. That doesn't stop the damage happening, it just gets cleaned up quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    I am curious as to the climate in Australlia, oceania. Is this trend not normal for you guys? Is this causing issues with your economy/crops?

Green issues are important to me, and Im curious as to what the general mood is in your area (via media, pub talk, politicians) about climate change? Is it getting the traction it does like in the EU? Or is it back burner like here in the U.S. ?
    Considering a) we're in a pretty serious drought (last time I checked the Brisbane water predictions, we're out by the end of next year) and b) it's election year, climate change policies are everywhere

I'd say the public is a little less skeptical than we were when we still had rain

Australia has an unusual climate that is not as stable seasonal wise as say Europe. It is much more at the mercy of the east-west conveyor of water through the Pacific... the El Nino effect...

The storms really are only grazing the coast, NSW is suffering a drought that covers an area larger then Texas... about 90% of NSW is under drought conditions.

Anyhow the frequency and intensity of storms is more then normal and causing a fair amount of damage. luckily we have fairly good State Emergency Services in Australia and they are all handy guys and gals. That doesn't stop the damage happening, it just gets cleaned up quicker.
    Interesting, Sapi addresses this in his post, but I'm curious as to the resolution of people/media/government to address the global warming issue (assumes thats the cause of the storms).

If even thats part of the conversation on the op ed pages and political talk shows, given the storms I would think it would be. Is it a viable election issue?
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

Considering a) we're in a pretty serious drought (last time I checked the Brisbane water predictions, we're out by the end of next year) and b) it's election year, climate change policies are everywhere

I'd say the public is a little less skeptical than we were when we still had rain
    Interesting, as an observer of the social/political climate in Australlia, do you think climate change/green policies will have any traction?

Sua Sponte

Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    Interesting, as an observer of the social/political climate in Australlia, do you think climate change/green policies will have any traction?
    My gut says no - we may like to debate about it, but it's not going to be an electoral issue. We can only hope that the right party *cough*Labor*cough* gets in and actually makes some headway with this sort of stuff.

When I say 'not an electoral issue', I mean that not many will vote based on climate change; but there are extensive policies. The most interesting (and the one copping the most flak) is Labor's idea of cutting greenhouse emissions severely by 2050 (Pape will have exact numbers - I dont' follow climate debate but it's above 50%). It may not be entirely practical, and I doubt it'll be met even if they're voted in, but it's a step in the right direction.

My gut says no - we may like to debate about it, but it's not going to be an electoral issue. We can only hope that the right party *cough*Labor*cough* gets in and actually makes some headway with this sort of stuff.

When I say 'not an electoral issue', I mean that not many will vote based on climate change; but there are extensive policies. The most interesting (and the one copping the most flak) is Labor's idea of cutting greenhouse emissions severely by 2050 (Pape will have exact numbers - I dont' follow climate debate but it's above 50%). It may not be entirely practical, and I doubt it'll be met even if they're voted in, but it's a step in the right direction.
    The reason I ask is that Kyoto is expiring and this is a great opportunity to move forward on green issues. Should Australlia steer down the same path as the EU in its strong approach to climate issues, that only serves to better increase pressure on my government to do something.

Thanks for the insights.

Sua Sponte

It has featured in the NSW elections... more from a water shortage point of view... desalination plants vs recycled water vs aquafiers

The carbon reduction suggested by Labor is for a 60% reduction by 2050.

I hope neither party wins, they're both hopeless. Donkey vote it ftw.
    #Hillary4prism

As an aside, State of Origin is the best rugby league out there.

Big men out for blood, scraps and injuries and any one hurt is an Aussie.

Win - win - win.

(for the record - Queensland would play NSW in the world cup league final if Aus was allowed to split - and Victoria would play WA for 3rd/4th)

We are poooooor.....
    "My IQ test came back. Thankfully it was negative"

Been to:

Media
    They really only follow what the Polies tell them to, however our Public Television (ABC) had a Climate Change program that tried to prove it was just natural. In general though, the ABC is fairly open about their thinking it is man-made. They just have a conservative Board of Directors. Most of our other Media is fairly conservative though, so they like to point out that it will hurt our economy.

Public Talk
    Seems to be fairly unimportant to most people around here.

Politicians
    Howard/Liberals - self-described Global Warming sceptic. However, he has been very reactionary in his policies and as such has announced a plan to have a carbon emissions trading scene up and running by 2012. They like to say that it will hurt our economy too much to risk.

Rudd/Labor - 60% carbon reduction by 2050

Greens - 80% by 2012 (But they won't be forming Government for a VERY long time).

Yes, but it will ony be noticable in the long-term. Our droughts are just something we have got to get used to.

The reason I ask is that Kyoto is expiring and this is a great opportunity to move forward on green issues. Should Australlia steer down the same path as the EU in its strong approach to climate issues, that only serves to better increase pressure on my government to do something.
    Yes we should, but then again it is unlikely we will.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Oh you sneaky sneaky boy
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach
    Media
    They really only follow what the Polies tell them to, however our Public Television (ABC) had a Climate Change program that tried to prove it was just natural. In general though, the ABC is fairly open about their thinking it is man-made. They just have a conservative Board of Directors. Most of our other Media is fairly conservative though, so they like to point out that it will hurt our economy.

Public Talk
    Seems to be fairly unimportant to most people around here.

Politicians
    Howard/Liberals - self-described Global Warming sceptic. However, he has been very reactionary in his policies and as such has announced a plan to have a carbon emissions trading scene up and running by 2012. They like to say that it will hurt our economy too much to risk.

Rudd/Labor - 60% carbon reduction by 2050

Greens - 80% by 2012 (But they won't be forming Government for a VERY long time).

Yes, but it will ony be noticable in the long-term. Our droughts are just something we have got to get used to.

Yes we should, but then again it is unlikely we will.
    Thanks for the breakdown.

Sua Sponte