Thread: What do you do if you're at war with the papacy?

Default What do you do if you're at war with the papacy?

Hi. So I got excommunicated despite keeping my relations with the pope pefect by bribing him. He ordered me to cease hostilites and I disobeyed. It wasn't that big a deal the first couple of times but then he attacked one of my towns and I've been at war with them for ages.

I know you can't wipe them out so I pushed them back into Rome and left them alone, offering bribes of 10000 to accept a ceasefire but they refuse. I'm getting rebellions all over the place.

What can I do?

Default Re: What do you do if you're at war with the papacy?

wait till he dies, and get cardinals. i really never get excommunicated...and i know i'v never actually fought the papal states as a catholic faction

if the pope is young, maybe destroy papal states and vacate rome to rebels, when he reappears maybe you start of neutral, but i'm just guessing
    And when the brazen cry of achilles
    Was heard among the trojans, all their hearts
    Were troubled, and the full-maned horses whirled
    The chariots backward, knowing griefs at hand...

Village special needs person Member Kobal2fr's Avatar

Hmmm pray ?

Ah, no, drat, that one's out too

But yeah, like sabutai said, rig the elections. Send twelve priests in deep dark Russia or in the middle of the desert, wait for them to get hunger-induced extatic visions (read : 5 Piety), then send send spies and good assassins around to find and purge the existing Council, like you would end the Jedi Order. If the blood-stained funny hats are handed out to anyone but your candidates, keep on killin'.
    Anything wrong ? Blame it on me. I'm the French.

War with the papacy should be carefully planed because there is nothing to gain from a war like that except land. So you should target there city's and then try to get ceasefire. I did this ones and when i took Rome they were actually keen on ceasefire. so my advise is lure the pope into Rome and then take the city ceasefire wil follow automatically but there is no guarantee

That doesn´t help if you are at war with them. You will still be excommunicated when the Pope dies and a new one is elected if you are at war with the Papacy.

In a Milan game I had exactly your situation. But I decided to take Rome and so I did. The newly eleted Pope appeared very close to Rome and I assume they had no other city and obviously no other catholic faction gave one to the Pope.
    Without any city left all the Popes simply appeared next to Rome and did only the usual Pope-stuff. So I had some more regions for my own :), including Rome

And the price for peace was... 20.000. And then you are still excommunicated... either you do like other suggest or you kill your faction leader. Hey, he´s the bad one. So says the Pope! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by sabutai
    wait till he dies
    Why wait?

Well, you could always kill the Pope, but logic dictates that that may not be the most effective way to make peace with the papal states
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Well, your first mistake was disobeying him. The second was repeating it. However, the biggest mistake, was to take his land. That makes him REALLY hate you. No real idea at what you can do, but you could try eliminating your borders with him. It could work, but I'm not sure(it'll work on any other faction, but it may be something special with the papacy). You can do this by either gifting your provinces near rome to someone else, or destroy rome and hope he takes up residence somewhere else.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

1. Take Rome and give him Malta (Anno Domini mod) or some other province you don´t need and sue for peace.

2. Wait until he´s 59. Attack and take Rome and/or all other provinces that you want. Pope dies at 60, hopefully. You´ll get reconciliated when the new pope arrives.

Just keep upping the offer until he says yes.
    Give many provinces.
    Offer all your cash for a few turns. (save up)

It sounds like you actually have a decent empire so you CAN afford to not build troops for a bit.

Eventually he will say yes and then just pour money on him until he loves you.
    "Enough talk!"
    -Conan the Destroyer

Join the ICLADOLLABOJADALLA! Member IrishArmenian's Avatar

Take Rome, and give the Pope a backwater village to call home!

"Half of your brain is that of a ten year old and the other half is that of a ten year old that chainsmokes and drinks his liver dead!" --Hagop Beegan

does the pope actually fight aggressive wars? never seen it in all my games, i think i read somewhere that one guy had a game where the pope went nuts taking land, but i have never seen this in the game....must be funny

if you cant make peace, the only real problem is other catholic factions, just destroy them and your problem is solved. or make them so scared of you they dont care if the pope excommunicates you
    Last edited by Callahan9119; 06-19-2007 at 16:17.

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

If you take Rome and kill him it is possible that he will respawn outside Rome. You may have to kill him several times before he is ready to negotiate a ceasefire. Don't give him any other land. Also killing your own faction leader isn't enough because you still will be at war. First make peace with him. Then try to give him Rome back in exchange for reconciliation or get your faction leader killed.

@Subutai In my current English campaign were I have relocated the English to the holy land the pope conquered Italy and large parts of France. He usually goes berserk when he calls a crusade against a target within his reach. If he wins the crusade he will continue to conquer. In my case he crusaded successful against Milan, Sicily and France.
    Tosa Inu

I think that's because usually, confined within the bounds of Rome and with a massive standing army given to him right from the start, the Pope is perma-broke. Which is also why he loves you so much when you feed him the occasional scrap.

But when he's got the opportunity to sack a city for 15k and can afford the upkeep of his Holy Stack of Smiting for a time, if he crusades and doesn't have to pay for his men, or if you give him enough regions that he makes the slightest of profits, he gets nuts. I'm talking 'treefull of monkeys high on nitrous oxide" nuts.

He's got his own special AI code that prevents him from ever attacking non-excom'd christians unprovoked though, which is a blessing when that happens . But that same special AI is probably also what makes him go wild, because he doesn't consider catholic factions as possible enemies, and thus doesn't garrison against them nor considers they might attack Him when deciding what to do with his Holy Stack. Since AI factions hold back on conquests because of this, he overtakes them easily.
    Last edited by Kobal2fr; 06-19-2007 at 16:44.

Just wanted to say that the term "Holy Stack of Smiting" is genious.

*giggle*

yeah, kobal is hilarious sometimes

Thank you, thank you . My lovely assistant will now pass among you with a hat...

In my Moors campaign, I killed him a few times and somehow got him to be neutral once he respawned one time.

Quote Originally Posted by sapi
    Well, you could always kill the Pope, but logic dictates that that may not be the most effective way to make peace with the papal states
    Still, a chance to kill the Pope is a chance to kill the Pope! Sounds like he's a jerk, anyway.

There are some things that set the Pope off on a rampage, it seems. In my M/M England game, Sicily attacked him and drove him out of Rome. Big mistake. Siciliy is excommunicated, Pope calls a crusade against Rome, I take and the Pope asks for it back. I give it to him and he goes wild, taking Sicily, Sardinia, the rest of Italy, North Africa and then goes on crusade and takes Jerusalem before I can get there! Luckily he wasn't able to hold it against the Timurids or I would have had a hard time fulfilling my victory conditions.

Well playing the game on M/M I had Pope attacking me. And the options that seems to be available were the following:
    1)Stop attacking him so that the relations would go to terrible (from abysmal and later better) making a ceasefire obtainable
    2)Attack him and fight all of Christianity have dissorder due to excommunication and crusades from all over the world marching against me...

I chose 2

Lord of Underpants Member Seabourch's Avatar

Did u win rebel8303? Thats suicide, you gotta be crazy to fight the the pope

Quote Originally Posted by Drogba26
    Did u win rebel8303? Thats suicide, you gotta be crazy to fight the the pope
    No just kill him three of four times in a row and capture Rome. Try to get a ceasefire so you can hand it back in exchange for reconciliation after your faction leader has died.
    Tosa Inu

Dear All:

Good morning from Canada!! I hope this finds you and yours well. As for me, I could complain...yadda, yadda, yadda.

For what it's worth, I remember seeing His Hatness once ridding the Papal States of a rebel army. He did the same thing that my cardinals do with heretics--crowned them with his shepherd's crook.

Just my two cents' worth.

Live long and prosper, take care and thank you kindly!!!!

Sincerely yours always,

Indy.

Its pretty simple. Just keep killing him until there aren't any cardinals left except for yours or a few others. Make sure your cardinal wins, then its all peachy.

I am currently at war with the pope. I, the mighty Sultan of the Turks, have already killed three popes. The first infidel was defending that city full of brothels: Rome. He died while defending that city. The second was killed during an attempt to take back the city. The third died on the field of glory in a desperate attempt to intercept my mighty horse archer army.

So you ask me the immortal Sultan of all Turks and of all the lands East of Istanbul what to do when at war with the pope. My answer to all you infidels is: KILL him. Buwahh buwahh buwaahh!
    Tosa Inu