Thread: Skin request

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Village special needs person Member Kobal2fr's Avatar

Default Skin request

I never understood why crossbowmen were given wooden (read : crummy) crossbows when they're supposed to be professional soldiers - as it is, there's absolutely NO point to building them rather than militia or peasant xbows : they can't shoot any better, don't have better melee stats, and have a whopping 33% increase in upkeep. Talk about grabbing the soap... Ah, right, they can upgrade to heavy mail. Fat load of good it does them.

Anyway, I modded them to use the steel_crossbow projectile, and now they're fine - they justify their price, represent a significant upgrade to earlier crossbows, and their lack of a pavise means the factions that can build them (Hungary, Denmark, France) are still at a disadvantage against other more xbow-friendly factions. So I'm happy with that.

My problem is that visually, the Crossbowman model still uses the wooden crossbow, instead of the more stylish metal crossbow. I assume that a soldier's weapon in an integral part of its skin, and that merely changing weapon data in the EDU wasn't enough. The thing is, I'm absolutely crap at anything even remotely graphic, and even if I knew how to fiddle with the models, I'd probably make a horrible, horrible mess.

So here goes : could anyone please copy/paste the metal crossbow from Hussites onto the regular Crossbowmen and Crossbowmen_ug1 files for me ?
    Anything wrong ? Blame it on me. I'm the French.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Default Re: Skin request

You could also use alpha channels to make the pavise shield on the pavise crossbows invisible, then use that model for the crossbowmen. Pavise crossbows use the steel crossbow don't they?
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Village special needs person Member Kobal2fr's Avatar

Default Re: Skin request

Weeeell, nevermind the fact that I wouldn't know what an alpha channel is even if he mugged me in the park, but there are no French nor Danish pavise Xbowmen, so I'd have to re-dye one blue or red first. Did I mention that I utterly blow at anything remotely graphical ? I swear. I even struggle with stick figures.
    Last edited by Kobal2fr; 06-20-2007 at 01:44.
    Anything wrong ? Blame it on me. I'm the French.