Thread: Real life picture of RTW Cataphracts!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Real life picture of RTW Cataphracts!!!

Real life picture of RTW Cataphracts!!!

Real

vs RTW
    Last edited by Intranetusa; 06-19-2007 at 16:47.
    "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind...but there is one thing that science cannot accept - and that is a personal God who meddles in the affairs of his creation."
    -Albert Einstein

Default Re: Real life picture of RTW Cataphracts!!!

Nevermind.
    Last edited by bovi; 06-20-2007 at 09:21.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

All righty. Can we see a real-life picture of an EB kataphract now?

Looks like a parade cataphract to me. Depends on what you call "real"...
    Last edited by Thaatu; 06-19-2007 at 17:58.

Asia ton Barbaron mapper Member Pharnakes's Avatar

Smile Re: Real life picture of RTW Cataphracts!!!

I have to admit that I can't actualy see what is so bad it.
    Asia ton Barbaron The new eastern mod for eb!

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

The "real" picture does not have horse armour. I must confess I first thought he meant EB cataphracts, but I see now it's RTW. So the camel cataphracts could actually be such in the game, it's been so long since I played vanilla I can't even remember if they were there.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Speaking of vanilla katatank stories I have steam rolled even phalanx pikemen with a head on charge .

Join the Army: A Pontic AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=96984
    ...uh coptic mother****er:A Makuria Comedy AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...93#post1814493

gourmand of carrot juices Member Lowenklee's Avatar

Well, ignoring the issue of it's accuracy, it's a beautiful picture. What city is that in the backround, is this from a film?

Marzbân-î Jundîshâpûr Member The Persian Cataphract's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lowenklee
    Well, ignoring the issue of it's accuracy, it's a beautiful picture. What city is that in the backround, is this from a film?
    This is a promotional picture of Roger Koupelian's "The Fugitive prince", of a Sassanid cavalry with a reconstructed Ctesiphon in the background. The documentary was supposed to be filmed in New Zealand. The project, at least publically, hasn't been updated for years.

have a look here:
    http://www.invaderdigital.com

http://www.fugitivestudios.com/fugitive_trailer.html
    Last edited by The Persian Cataphract; 06-20-2007 at 16:14.

"Fortunate is every man who in purity and truth recognizes valiance and prevents it from becoming bravado" - Âriôbarzanes of the Sûrên-Pahlavân

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Why the hell would you even bother putting someone that heavily armored on a completely unarmored horse?

"Well, I could aim for the freakin' tank, or I could aim for the soft pile of unarmored flesh he's riding on... Hmm, decisions, decisions..."

An Imperfect Follower of Light Member Wolfman's Avatar

I haven't heard it put any better Reverend Gonzo ( chuckles )
    Tales of Gods and Kings - An Arverni AAR-DEAD
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...82#post1930882
    A People of the Mist - Casse AAR-ALIVE!!!!
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...Mist-Casse-AAR

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Gonzo
    Why the hell would you even bother putting someone that heavily armored on a completely unarmored horse?
    Why did most armoured cavalry throughout history ride completely unarmoured horses, and do quite well ?
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Seems to me you would either want to have light armour for mobility or heavy armour all over for extreme protection and punch.

My guess would be that with limited funds, you rather wanted yourself to survive than your horse. You can also still fight on foot if your horse dies unless you get caught under. Watchman, would you like to answer your own question, please?

================
    ================

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Far as I know, it's largely because horses are big animals and can be surprisingly difficult to take down - certainly rather more so than humans. The beasts have been recorded making spirited attempts at running even after having one leg taken off by a cannonball. Also one gets the impression that for one reason or another the focus of enemy attacks was normally the rider - dunno why really. Never been in a cavalry fight myself so I don't know the specific tactical dynamics involved. Aiming specifically at the horse was for one reason or another apparently somewhat unusual (not counting of course infantry spearmen "setting" to receive a charge - they normally put their spear-points on the level of the animals' chest). My guess would be partly the sheer difficulty of actually inflicting serious injury on a big well-muscles animal with its rider interfering at every opportunity; certainly one would expect armour for at least the rather exposed head and neck of the horse to have very soon appeared in some form, even very light, in near-universal use among shock cavalry if the beasts were vulnerable that way.

This manifestly failed to happen though, and while horse barding was certainly quite useful in many ways (albeit problematic in others) it obviously was in no way necessary for stellarly effective cavalry action.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Asia ton Barbaron mapper Member Pharnakes's Avatar

Smile Re: Real life picture of RTW Cataphracts!!!

On the other hand, incidents like the morning of the battle of balaclava, when Cambell and was it 200 highlanders held off 2000 heavy russian horse by firing at the horses, and creating a "wall of death" which the horses behind would trip over...
    Last edited by Pharnakes; 06-20-2007 at 13:18.
    Asia ton Barbaron The new eastern mod for eb!

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?