Thread: Buildup of a settlement

Default Buildup of a settlement

Hello,

Assumed that I capture an enemy settlement, destroying all buildings and starting to build up this settlement “from the foundation walls”… what would be the perfect order of buildings to get the maximum income as quickly as possible, as well as contentedness of the inhabitants?

Regards Marcel

Default Re: Buildup of a settlement

The perfect way? Well... thats kinda asking alot, :P depends totaly on what kind of settlement it is: coastal? size? mines?

Assumed it is a typical settlement on the Iberian peninsula with orebody and access to the coast...
    My thread aims for the question what to build first; a harbour, a mine, a market, a granary etc.

Trainee blame-taker, no class Member Underhand's Avatar

If you need money I'd go for ports followed by mines (I usually stay away from mining centers because they take so long to build). If you don't need money I find the best things to build first are the health buildings like the sewers and the doctor. Those each provide a 1% population growth boost and a 10% public order bonus. I try to get the population growth buildings in first in the most efficient order (lowest build time and greatest effect - incidentally, a type 4 government is the most efficient building in this regard), only building public order buildings if I really need them. I tend to end up with really huge cities and a slight public order problem on the outskirts of my empire, but such settlements can earn you quite a lot of money and produce plenty of troops without really shrinking, so I think it's worth it.

Thank you!
    So far I built basically markets, roads and granarys in my towns; also trading ports and small mines, of course - for the big ports and mines my income is not sufficient.
    I think that markets, roads and especially granarys are not so decisive for the earning of a settlement.
    Regards
    Marcel

Mines make a huge amouint of money, certainly compared to the alternatives, in a smaller settlement. The downside is of course that it takes a long time to build mines and the mining center.
    Depending on the richness of your veins, the mining center will enhance your income with 1500/3000/4500 Mnai per turn. It takes about 20 turns after completion of the mining center (at most) to earn your investment back.

The hard part is finding the income to build the mining center. But if you build a center, choose carefully where, and look beforehand how much it will enhance your income. Governors can save you a ton of money (and generate a ton of money too!) in that regard.

I personally choose to build granaries if no alternatives (besides MICs) exist. They are not that useful. Ports can make quite a bit of money, but that mostly depends on trade rights with other factions (or the extent of your empire).

If public order allows for it (and safety of the empire permits):
    1. Mines
    2. Farms
    3. Trader
    4. Sewers
    5. Healer
    6. Coastal Clearing

Now you are bound to have recouped your original investment in constructing the mine.

That leaves a few cheap, but useful improvements to build (MICs, roads, small order structures); building these will allow you to accumulate savings for the mining center.

Trainee blame-taker, no class Member Underhand's Avatar

Oh yes, when building mines ensure that a family member is present to receive a mine income-boosting trait. If you have an exceptional mine, have him tour other cities as they build mines to compund the effect. A higher base mine income will mean that the percentage increase granted by his trait will be greater. I forget whether he needs to be present when construction of a mine is ordered or when it is completed. I suspect it's the latter.
    Quote Originally Posted by d'Arthez
    I personally choose to build granaries if no alternatives (besides MICs) exist. They are not that useful.
    I like them, but I only build them when there are no better population-increasing structures left to build. This is of course only if I'm swimming in money, so it doesn't apply at the very beginning of a campaign.
    Ports can make quite a bit of money, but that mostly depends on trade rights with other factions (or the extent of your empire).
    Yes, ports are only worth it if you have friendly provinces with which to trade, but if you do then they are really nice.