Thread: Bigger units in kingdoms?

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

Default Bigger units in kingdoms?

Took this picture of gamesspot. Look at the size of the units.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    [IMG][/IMG]

Even the generals unit has 301 men. So do we get bigger units or is this how we control several stacks? I would say that because one unit is selected we get bigger units. WOW
    Tosa Inu

Holy Roman Emperor Member Frederick_I_Barbarossa's Avatar

Default Re: Bigger units in kingdoms?

Looks like I'm going to need a new, higher powered, computer.
    Mod Lead for
    EUROPA CRUDUS

Learn more about it or *join the team* HERE

I think in some pictures unit sizes are smaller... Can´t come up with any at the moment. quess they just test with big units to find out what it would take from computer?
    Homo Sapiens non Urinat in Ventum - the wise man does not piss against the wind.

Egypt Total War founder Member heisme's Avatar

They would not create unit sizes that big for the final release as tht would limit there market

How many people would
    Buy New Computers
    or
    Have enough spec to cope with a 20 unit vs 20 let alone bigger

Maker of ETW

Quote Originally Posted by Zarky
    I think in some pictures unit sizes are smaller... Can´t come up with any at the moment. quess they just test with big units to find out what it would take from computer?
    Thats a fair assumption on this. It is most likely to assume they increased unit sizes on maximum game settings to see how much of a powerhouse of a computer is needed for maximum (or perhaps even recommended) settings

edit: i'm hoping that the general isn't heavy cavalry, and that maybe you can have infantry/other types of generals =)
    Last edited by WhiskeyGhost; 06-20-2007 at 22:22.

"Don't mind me, i happen the have the Insane trait....." -Me

Sweet! Maybe they'll just include uber unit sizes as an additional option, in the same way that unit sizes are implemented at the moment?

Indeed it would be nice to control units size 300, thou there would be serious recruitment and upkeep issues (until you can get your economy running), or fight alot and upkeep armies with ransom money ^^
    Homo Sapiens non Urinat in Ventum - the wise man does not piss against the wind.

Indeed it would be nice to control units size 300, thou there would be serious recruitment and upkeep issues (until you can get your economy running), or fight alot and upkeep armies with ransom money ^^
    True, I suppose the only way to avoid that would be to cap upkeep and recruitment points at some point, and maybe have all units take double time to recruit to compensate?

I guess larger unit sizes wouldn't affect upkeep at all... I think an unit of mailed knights costs the same on normal(40) and large(60) unit sizes. (The only unit sizes I've used.) Let's see... On large unit sizes we have a unit of peasants with 112 men and an upkeep of 90 bucks. On (imaginary) uber-huge unit sizes we would have an unit of peasants with 300 men and an upkeep of 90 bucks... I cant see what would be the problem with upkeep?

- Guru
    Pinky: "Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
    The Brain: "The same thing we do every night, Pinky - Try to take over the world!"

Hmm, I think it is possible to create your own historical battles using battle editor in M2:TW, where max number of men are 300 in one unit. Maybe the battle in screenshot was made in this way?

I'm not sure about larger units. It's nice in that it will make spearmen more powerful but it'll suck for any type of missle horse unit.

Ricardus Insanusaum Member Bob the Insane's Avatar

I think this is "marketing screen shots" in action...

Though it does hold open hope that units could be modded this large... (edit - I see from Herkus's post above this is perfectly possible)

Or, you never know, maybe the default hugh unit size in Kingdoms will be 300...

Mind you, a generals unit with 300 men!?!?
    Last edited by Bob the Insane; 06-20-2007 at 21:39.

Without wanting to sound cynical I think it is more CA showing "look what you can do with this game" and "Control thousands of men at once" as they put on the blurb on back of the games when you buy them.

The unit sizes are probably out at "mega-extra huge" or something and it is being played on some "miltary computer" that takes up six rooms in an abandoned nuclear silo.

Us pleabs that have only recently upgraded from a commodore 64 (complete with a tape player to load games) will still struggle on smaller sizes, but it does mean that we can become closer to the soliders in our armies as we will probably know most by name and even know the names of most of their wives and children.
    Last edited by El Diablo; 06-20-2007 at 22:16.
    "My IQ test came back. Thankfully it was negative"

Been to:

Village special needs person Member Kobal2fr's Avatar

I'd say this is an alphatesting shot, and not a pre-release one. Notice that while the player is controling Lithuanians, his faction shield is the Teutonic one. The lack of a minimap is also quite telling.

Also, the fact that units having different base numbers (heavy cav (40), spearmen (75), archers (60), foot knights (60)) are all at 300 implies that they are at a unit setting so large that they reached the max allowed for the larger units (spears) long ago.

In short : they're just showing off for newbs who don't know any better
    Anything wrong ? Blame it on me. I'm the French.

That begs the question of whether that cool red castle will be in it at all. Anyone else remember that picture of that really cool castle on a hill that never came close to being in the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Joshwa
    That begs the question of whether that cool red castle will be in it at all. Anyone else remember that picture of that really cool castle on a hill that never came close to being in the game?
    Yes, I've been thinking about that lately, but I think we will get the red castles. At worst, we'll get the same old castles with red wall textures, but I think we'll get red castles.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Oh invisible pink unicorn I hope they have increased the hardcoded unit size limit!

6,000 man armies plus the ability to control multiple armies? Ah what the hell, it's worth the upgrade!

Join the ICLADOLLABOJADALLA! Member IrishArmenian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Diablo
    Us pleabs that have only recently upgraded from a commodore 64 (complete with a tape player to load games) will still struggle on smaller sizes, but it does mean that we can become closer to the soliders in our armies as we will probably know most by name and even know the names of most of their wives and children.
    A toast to those whose computers sputter on small settings!

"Half of your brain is that of a ten year old and the other half is that of a ten year old that chainsmokes and drinks his liver dead!" --Hagop Beegan

If I told you, I'd have to kill you. England.

Quote Originally Posted by Guru
    I guess larger unit sizes wouldn't affect upkeep at all... I think an unit of mailed knights costs the same on normal(40) and large(60) unit sizes. (The only unit sizes I've used.) Let's see... On large unit sizes we have a unit of peasants with 112 men and an upkeep of 90 bucks. On (imaginary) uber-huge unit sizes we would have an unit of peasants with 300 men and an upkeep of 90 bucks... I cant see what would be the problem with upkeep?

- Guru
    In the original MTW, when you increased the size of the unit, it's cost to recruit, upkeep and time to recruit would increase. Only on Huge settings (200 men max in units) would the recruitment time be 2 turns (excluding any special units that on any setting might have 2 turns or more recruitment time).
    I believe in a society without rules, laws and regulations. A society where there are only ideas - strict ideas that must be followed to by the letter - and any failure to comply is punishable by death. This would be no dictatorship or police state, no one would be living in terror. It would merely be a 'reassessment of one's preferences,' people living in 'not-so-optimistic security.' So, welcome, those who are 'longing to be blindly obedient and loyal, unbeknownst to them.'

Peter von Kastilien - RIP Member gibsonsg91921's Avatar

note the teutonic cross shield and the lithuania colored units selected.
    The late Emperor Peter von Kastilien the Tyrant, Lamm der Wahrheit.

Join Capo de Tutti Capi II! It's totally amazing!

The game already allows there to be an amount of 300 units.
    only this option isn't triggered and the only reason it is enabled in the screenshots is for eye candy

Quote Originally Posted by Eng
    The game already allows there to be an amount of 300 units.
    only this option isn't triggered and the only reason it is enabled in the screenshots is for eye candy
    Is it possible to trigger it?

I've had over six thousand men on the battlefield at once, well I only had 1800, the Timurids had the rest.
    This was played on huge units setting, with the reinforcement limiter off. My framerate was 20-40.
    I don't see why it should be limited, given a choice of settings as we have.
    However, I have never since played with huge units again, as the game makes them hard to field, and pathfinding really goes out the door..
    It's better to do and die, than die and don't

Quote Originally Posted by Thero
    Is it possible to trigger it?
    Not as far as I'm aware - all units are hardcoded to have a max of 150 (on huge)
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

it look like rome tw super pictures or a trainer use for best quality. I think someone forgot to hide units panel.

looks sweet, i'm gonna need a new rig.

I think that the way to get 300 units is to put the line in the CFG
    (make a backup first im not sure)
    under the [game] put unit_size = 300 then you can mod the game to have more then 150 units...
    if I am correct

I don't think that will work - I have it on good authority that the limit of 150 is hardcoded.
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

I think its just for testing purposes.
    Off-topic some of those units look serioursly sweet on the Unit cards. The one that look likes a samuri with a spear really looks cool.
    Waiting for Broken Crescent and Warhammer Mod for Medieval2, the best mods out there.