Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: r.e.s.p.e.c.t.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default r.e.s.p.e.c.t.

http://www.israeltoday.co.il/default...=178&nid=13106

There we go again.

Jeruzalem is a holy city for 3 religions, why on earth do they insist on holding it there? Is this mutual respect? Is it just me or do gay people enjoy being disliked. This is nothing more then a provocation if you ask me, shouldn't expect any pity from me if they are attacked, they pretty much deserve it.

opinions?

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Default Re: r.e.s.p.e.c.t.

So no religious parades should be allowed in San Fran or Sydney?
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Retards. They could do this sort of thing in Tel Aviv or several other cities without trouble, but that's apparently not offensive enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio
    So no religious parades should be allowed in San Fran or Sydney?
    ehhhhhh, are you sure you don't see the difference?

Well they surely shouldn't do any religious parades where I'm living

Why on earth do they do gay parades anyway? It's not like there are any heterosexual parades ... atleast not here

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

I respect the statement they are making, and more power to them for choosing to go in this dangerous place.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach
    I respect the statement they are making, and more power to them for choosing to go in this dangerous place.
    The statement that their right to shake their tails is more important then centuries old traditions of millions and millions of people in the world? If they do da boom they have it comming, if you insist on provocing don't cry if it works, almost hoping for it to happen serves them right. There is such a thing as taking it too far, how can they possibly think this aids their cause?

Tolerance and respect are not one way streets.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stig
    Well they surely shouldn't do any religious parades where I'm living

Why on earth do they do gay parades anyway? It's not like there are any heterosexual parades ... atleast not here
    They started out in Sydney when people still thought that gay bashing was an okay activity.

It was a way of quite honestly stating that they were queer and that they were proud of it... rather then having to live a dishonest life and be ostracized or worse if they came out of the closet.

Nowadays in Sydney it is more of a party and parade... like an adult version of St Patricks... beer, frocks and a more wide selection of fairies not just green ones.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

The statement that their right to shake their tails is more important then centuries old traditions of millions and millions of people in the world? If they do da boom they have it comming, if you insist on provocing don't cry if it works, almost hoping for it to happen serves them right. There is such a thing as taking it too far, how can they possibly think this aids their cause?
    Yes, they have the right to Freedom of Speech.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Tolerance and respect are not one way streets.
    Well actually that is my point.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

I agree in principle that they should be able to do it in Jerusalem, too- but considering the situation it's a very, very bad idea. If you were the organizer would you pick a place that's going to provocate the 2 major religions in the area and could very well lead to violence, even if you could do it in other places in Israel without trouble?

Do you also think it's a good idea to hold an Orange march through an Irish catholic suburb?

I agree in principle that they should be able to do it in Jerusalem, too- but considering the situation it's a very, very bad idea. If you were the organizer would you pick a place that's going to provocate the 2 major religions in the area and could very well lead to violence, even if you could do it in other places in Israel without trouble?
    Wanna bet for a crate of beer where the first suicide bomber strikes?

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony
    This is nothing more then a provocation if you ask me, shouldn't expect any pity from me if they are attacked, they pretty much deserve it.
    Funny definition of tolerance and respect that if someone states their sexuality they deserve to be attacked for it.

I think sexuality lies somewhere between gene and meme, it lies somewhere between ethnic group and religious affiliation in the ability to choose what you belong to.

Would you think it okay for a Muslim, a Jew or a Christian to be beaten up for it for walking around with their respective holy books?

Would it be okay for a St Patricks parade to be car bombed?

A black civil rights march to be set upon?

Funny definition of tolerance and respect that if someone states their sexuality they deserve to be attacked for it.
    What respect are these guys giving religious people? Nothing, it's a deliberate slap in the face.You got me wrong, not because of their sexuality, but because their intention is provocation pure and simple. If they do this they shouldn't be surprised if someone picks up the glove. Should they be legally allowed to do this, yeah, law is law. But why there, out of all places that one? Is your definition of mutual respect 'something we must have for other people'? Millions of people are going to be deeply grieved by this, and all because they want to be the centre of attention. Should it be allowed, yes. Should they want it, hell no. Plenty other places where they can whag their tails, without insulting anyone.

It depends on what you rate higher, the gays' rights to have a parade in any place or the religious peoples' right to not have any gays in their holy place.
    Since almost nobody would think the latter is actually a right and religious people are usually seen as nuts today, guess who wins...

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Husar
    It depends on what you rate higher, the gays' rights to have a parade in any place or the religious peoples' right to not have any gays in their holy place.
    Of course gays should be allowed in holy places, that's not the point. It's not a matter of law it's a matter of decency and respect. This is about as decent and respectful as pissing on someone's mother's grave. When you visit a mosk you take of your shoes. When you visit a church you don't yell. When you visit a holy city you behave because it's important for a lot of people.

Behaving like this in a holy place has nothing to do with respect. In Amsterdam you can do this. In San Fransisco you can do this. So do it there.

I am not angry because the law allows it, I am angry because they want it in the first place.
    Last edited by KukriKhan; 06-22-2007 at 13:52.

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

What respect are these guys giving religious people? Nothing, it's a deliberate slap in the face.You got me wrong, not because of their sexuality, but because their intention is provocation pure and simple. If they do this they shouldn't be surprised if someone picks up the glove. Should they be legally allowed to do this, yeah, law is law. But why there, out of all places that one? Is your definition of mutual respect 'something we must have for other people'? Millions of people are going to be deeply grieved by this, and all because they want to be the centre of attention. Should it be allowed, yes. Should they want it, hell no. Plenty other places where they can whag their tails, without insulting anyone.

there...you just answered the question yourself....
    "Should it be allowed, yes. Should they want it, hell no."

it is not ANYONE´s place to say what other people should want or not want.......if it should be allowed it should be allowed...no IF´s!

and that my friend...makes this..

case ******* closed.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Well, I think if God doesn't want them to dance around in his holy place, he'll surely find a way to rain on their parade...
    Last edited by Husar; 06-21-2007 at 12:20.

Ahh a bit of the good old smiting eh?

I agree that it's no-ones business what they do. However I would think this unnecessarily provocative.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Well, I find mosquitos in my room unnecessarily provocative - that's why I kill them as good as I can.

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Wink Re: r.e.s.p.e.c.t.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar
    Well, I think if God doesn't want them to dance around in his holy place, he'll surely find a way to rain on their parade...
    how the hell did I forgot that!....you´re absolutelly right!

what better way for God to make his/hers/it´s presence felt then by making it rain ice the size of watermellons on these heathens???

certainly the fact that this will have to happen in Jerusalem in the middle of the summer will pose no problem for the almighty ....anything less would surelly have to be considered as a pro-gay stance from the "man upstairs" and that wouldn´t be cricket now would it?
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Fragony makes a very good argument to the point where I am a hair away from agreeing with him ( the "Behaving like this in a holy place has nothing to do with respect.")

However my disdain for religion, and thier holy places has trumped my attempt at a reasoned approach to this (again the haze is clearing). I dont have a particular like or dislike for homosexuals, if they want to march and its within thier rights to do so, yep have at it.
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    However my disdain for religion, and thier holy places has trumped my attempt at a reasoned approach to this (again the haze is clearing). I dont have a particular like or dislike for homosexuals, if they want to march and its within thier rights to do so, yep have at it.
    That doesn't take away from the fact that excersing the right in this case is an incredibly stupid thing to do. I see it as provocating for the sake of provocating, hence my comparison with the Orange marches.

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache
    Ahh a bit of the good old smiting eh?
    LOL. That sounds like straight out of Terry Pratchett.

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Kralizec
    That doesn't take away from the fact that excersing the right in this case is an incredibly stupid thing to do. I see it as provocating for the sake of provocating, hence my comparison with the Orange marches.
    thats one way to look at it, or it could be viewed as maximizing the location, and the sentiment to garnish awareness for Gay rights. What better place to illustrate intolerance then at a major religous site?

It really depends on what side of the coin you want to view.

Would you and I be discussing this if the parade was in San Fran ?
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Well, I think if God doesn't want them to dance around in his holy place, he'll surely find a way to rain on their parade.
    Im afraid thats exactly what may happen. Of course they will claim it was gods will at least that they got murdered.

These guys wanted to hold a parade in Mecca lol. Guess what. It aint happening. Theres only one reason to hold this parade in Jerusalem and thats to stuff it in the face of religion. Dont these people realise this hurts their cause. Its as dumb as the Palestinians suicide bombing the Israelis. Its counter productive and just pisses every body else off.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Behaving like this in a holy place has nothing to do with respect. In Amsterdam you can do this. In San Fransisco you can do this. So do it there.
    A correction here to this logic. Jerusalem the city is NOT a holy place. There are several locations in the and around the city that are considered holy in some respects to the 3 religions in question, but the city itself is not one major shrine or temple. I saw no reference in the article of the path taking them directly past the Wailing Wall or anything along those lines. Even if it did, I doubt I'd care.

As for the view of this being "provacative", my thoughts are that I disagree. The city does indeed have multiple sites of religion significance to the 3 major monotheistic religions, so what? It sounds like they are making a point to do this in that city to demonstrate solidarity and determination. The whole "this is provacative and they are asking to be attacked" argument sounds awfully close to the "she got raped because she was dressing like that" one.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    Theres only one reason to hold this parade in Jerusalem and thats to stuff it in the face of religion.
    How about reason 1a. Press coverage? Maybe i'm jaded from living in Mass but the gay rights movement has some savvy people who understand the value of press.

Again, we wouldnt be talking about this if it was in San Fran

Sua Sponte

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

How about reason 1a. Press coverage? Maybe i'm jaded from living in Mass but the gay rights movement has some savvy people who understand the value of press.
    And your missing my point that this hurts them not helps them. Most people find this repulsive. I would have the same opinion if say Howard Stern were to hold a parade with the kind of people he has on his show. You dont need to parade your sexuality about in the streets, I dont care what your sexual persuasion is.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast