Thread: Megas Alexandros: Introduction and Information

Default Megas Alexandros: Introduction and Information

Megas Alexandros
    Heaven cannot brook two suns, nor earth two masters.
    -Alexander the Great
    There is nothing impossible to him who will try.
    -Alexander the Great

It is the year 336bc. King Philip has just been assassinated. Although not directly involved, many are sure that it was Persian gold that moved the hand of this Pausanias of Orestis. Alexander, age 20, as Philip's only heir, has become King. Although inheriting an experienced and professional army, Alexander has also received enemies in the form of Philip's former subject states who feel a 20 year old boy is not capable enough to rule his father's kingdom effectively and who want their full independence, thinking that the turmoil following Philip's death will cause Alexander to react foolishly....
    Alexander plans to carry out Philip's long planned conquest of Persia, and with Parmenios and a Makedonian expeditionary force already in Asia Minor, Alexander will have to move quickly if he is to quell the rebellions in Southern Greece and secure his border in the north, the area that the troublesome Thracians and Illyrians call home. This is a time of bloodshed, death, conquest, defeat and victory. This is Total War....

It will be a mod-folder for RTW - Alexander 1.9. You need that to play it. So far, the factions are:

Macedon
    Persia
    India
    Greek Cities(will have a different name)
    Sarmatia
    Illyria
    Dahae
    Thrace
    Getai
    Free People

Some possibilities for factions are: Sparta, Cimmerian Bosporus and Byzantium.

Features and aim
    The mod will cover the years 336 b.c. when Alexander became King of Macedon aged 20, to either 323 b.c. when he died or 320 b.c., which would allow for an alternative history edge. I will be using a 12tpy script in my mod, so Alexander should not die of old age, and which will increase the amount of turns, which will be necessary given how im hoping the map will look

The aim for this mod is to improve the Alexander gaming experience. It will try and make the add-on a great gameplay experience, a real challenge getting across the feel of Alexanders campaign. It will be mostly historically accurate, but I'll be using artistic license in some places. It will feature:
    • A brand new map, which I will also release to the public
    • New models and skins
    • Historical unit names
    • New traits and ancilliaries
    • A new recruitment system
    • New GUI
    • New custom battle maps
    • Longer, more balanced battles
    • New formations, possibly modifying existing Darth's Formations Mod formations.
    • New faction banners

This is the area covered by the map, everything right of the black line.

The mod will only have Macedon playable for 1 big important reason: the AI will never do an Alexander. I am aiming for this mod to try and get across the feel of Alexanders campaign, I am going to make it s you can only recruit Macedonian troops in certain provinces, and so you must assemble an army and go campaigning, sending reinforcements whenever you can, getting across the feel of Alexander marching across the Persian empire with only few reinforcements.

We at MA hope you will stick around to watch this mod grow and take an active role in giving feedback as to how you think our mod should be made, and what you would like to see in it.

Thanks,
    MA team

Default Re: Megas Alexandros: Introduction and Information

why only as macedon?
    you could get osmeone to try write an ai that is very aggresive
    "Actually, in my humble opinion you should have been able to play everything from France, to the dutchy of Douche, and down to Pierres Orchard (with the posibility of managing the kids playtime, wifebeatings, and hostile takeovers of the neighbours fertile bee cubes)." - El Wrongo

Sadly, the AI in RTW cannot be modded, unlike M2TW.

The Scourge of Rome Member Spartan198's Avatar

Is this mod still under construction? It would be nice to expand on vanilla Alexander.
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

It is still being worked on.

How about adding Epirus as a faction,with some kind of iron-clad alliance,like the Roman families had to eachother and the Senate,to Macedonia? Or maybe add some "Epirote" units (Epirote hoplites,Epirote phalangists,etc.) to the Macedonian roster to simulate the alliance?
    New name for the Greek Cities: League of Korinth.
    Last edited by Spartan198; 02-23-2008 at 12:51.
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

Good luck with this mod,I for 1 am looking forward to it !

sounds like a good mod, for people who want a similar mod to this download rise of persia its great, its been out for years and uses a similar map to this 1. The campaign has over 17 factions and is very realistic.
    From Olaf the Great

"Fight for your country -- that is the best, the only omen! ..." - Hector

Quote Originally Posted by lionhard View Post
    sounds like a good mod, for people who want a similar mod to this download rise of persia its great, its been out for years and uses a similar map to this 1. The campaign has over 17 factions and is very realistic.
    MA uses the same map as ROP, in fact. But the similarities end there. ROP starts a couple hundred years before MA. There's quite a bit of difference there.