Thread: Number of troops

Sideswipe feature king Member shingenmitch2's Avatar

Although I'm definitely NOT sold on the Battlefield Ninja and Thunderbombers, I certainly hope the troop numbers scale according to average troops size

Ex. Average YS unit = 120 men, BFN = 40

Then if the YS unit is reduced in size (say for online play) to 60 men, then the BFN = 20.

I might be restating something that has been talked about, but I haven't come across it. Maybe it's totally obvious, but I would hate to see 60 man YS units versus 40 man BFNs. lol
    Retreat? Hell, we're just attacking in a different direction...

THE DEADLY SHINGEN

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

Hmmm..I don't remember now. The best and easiest way to check is to look at the screenshots at the official site. Check the banners at the bottom of the screen and see what the quantity of ninjas per unit is. I'm pretty sure the numbers don't change, but I could be wrong.

You should be "not sold" on Kensai and BNinja before even thinking about TBs, but that's beside the point.

Anyway, all available evidence suggests that BNinja as well as TB unit size will be 1/3 of whatever the default unit size is: thus, 40 with 120 man units and 20 with 60 man units. (At one point they were referred to as a "ten-man" unit, but maybe that was an error.) Kensai will always be one man, which may create a problematic disparity between 120 and 60 man unit games. But we'll see.

------------------
    "1. Gi: the right decision, taken with equanimity, the right attitude, the truth. When we must die, we must die. Rectitude."
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

ah, yes the kensai... where do I begin...

heroic legends of Japan are one thing, and accurate portrayal of their battlefields are another... If this were a "D&D" player character game or Diablo, I can see the kensai... as it is, I'm very skeptical.

THE DEADLY SHINGEN

Senior Member Senior Member ShaiHulud's Avatar

What WOULD make the Sword Saint interesting is if he challenged before a battle. Either you meet him with another Saint or your Taisho. The outcome of the battle would have effect equivalent to assassinating the Taisho just before a battle. Refusing to meet challenge, same effect as assassination.

------------------
    Wind fells blossoms, rain
    fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks
    O stranger, Go tell the Spartans that we lie here, obedient to their will.....

Shai -- now there's an idea! I agree, have the challenge, the winner get a really high morale boost to their army and a morale neg to loser, if you don't meet the challange (and not risk death) give the morale boosts out the same and lower the Taisho's honor level by 1.

but this should almost be an additional situation--not part of the combat. Unfortunately, will never happen as it would require a full revamp. But I think it is the only way to make the Kensai vaiable and not plain superhero stupid.

THE DEADLY SHINGEN

I think you are overestimating them (kensai, that is). From what the interviews say, they can still be brought down with archers and cavalry, so he's not much more than a single high-honor monk, complete with morale modifier. Stick him in a castle gate and you're set. Otherwise, he'll need to be protected until he can get close. I hope he's either expensive, or only given to the player as a game event. That would help keep people from overusing them. The challenge idea would make this even better, but I won't hold my breath for it.

-- B)

Yeah, HARD limits really need to be placed on the quantities of these specialty units available. I mean even IF the BFN really existed, how many units could a Daimyo ever field? 1 maybe 2 for ALL his armies.

Unfortunately I expect to see all BFN armies start showing up on the multi-onlines. Worse than a monk swarm. lol

[This message has been edited by shingenmitch2 (edited 04-20-2001).]

THE DEADLY SHINGEN

Judging by the new pics the thunder bombers almost act like close range artillery. Look interesting. I like things to be historically accurate, but I'm not drawing conclusions until I play it.
    - A conclusion is simply the place where someone got tired of thinking.
    - The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history.