Thread: Gunpowder mercenaries

Question Gunpowder mercenaries

Hello dear guild members.

I'm currently playing a long campaign as Byzantium. It seems their only gunpowder unit is the bombard which isn't extremely good. I wonder what gunpowder mercenaries can be hired, where and when? Can Arquebusier mercs be hired in the Byzantine starting regions after gunpowder event occurs? What artillery units are available for hiring? How about musketphants, panzerphants and rocketphants?

By the way, are Catalans included in the game as mercenaries? Where they can be hired and when?

Thanks in advance, Guru
    Pinky: "Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
    The Brain: "The same thing we do every night, Pinky - Try to take over the world!"

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

Default Re: Gunpowder mercenaries

Both types of the elephant gunpowder units can be hired near Baghdad, but it takes forever for them to respawn so if someone else hired them it may take you a while to get some more to hire.
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

And at the little town to the right of the red sea. SadCat

Village special needs person Member Kobal2fr's Avatar

Logic would dictate that Catalans are recruited in Cataluña :}

OK, so the smartass answer isn't enough : according to descr_mercenaries.txt, they can only be recruited in Spain, Sicily, Sardinia and Greece from 1300 to 1400

As to Gunpowder units, Mercenary Arquebusiers are available pretty much everywhere starting in year 1400, as is the Mercenary Monster Ribault (Italy only), Mercenary Rocket Launcher (Russia and Steppes) and the Mercenary Monster Bombard (Western and Eastern Balkans + Greece)
    Anything wrong ? Blame it on me. I'm the French.

Ok, thanks for your quick answers.

- Guru
    Pinky: "Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
    The Brain: "The same thing we do every night, Pinky - Try to take over the world!"