Thread: So does anyone else play VH/VH?

EB Historian/Artist Member Intrepid Adventurer's Avatar

Default So does anyone else play VH/VH?

Hi all,

I was well underway in my Romani campaign, before I starting visiting these forums. I came straight out of MTW2 and as such didn't hesitate to play on H/H at first, before switching to VH/VH, because I thought H/H was too easy.

So I discovered that the EB team recommends VH/M and that explained why I had so much difficulty fighting Carthie African Elites, Carthie bodyguards (!!) and Aedui Naked Fanatics. However, I am slowly conquering North Africa as we speak and although the Carthies put up a good fight, I can't say the VH setting is a real pain just yet. Sometimes I lose against a significantly smaller army, but then I win the next battle against a more comparable stack (weird? troops are pretty much the same - perhaps it's the generals that matter...).

My question to you is: is VH/VH doable, or will it become too difficult later in the game when the AI gets access to better troops? Also, is it just me or is the battle AI better at VH than at M?

Default Re: So does anyone else play VH/VH?

The battle AI is the same, poor thing on any difficulty, but it gets big bonuses/penalties in battle on any other setting than Medium, which throws our stat balancing and is therefore not recommended.

VH/VH is very hard indeed with most factions. Rome and Carthage are among the most powerful factions and should be possible but hard on VH/VH, but you'll have a hard time playing Hayasdan on the same.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

You know.... VH/VH is doable, with some factions its harder than with others. Like with the Romani, KH, Carthege, basically all rich factions have an easier time than the broke factions like Aedui, Saka, Pavhla (sp), etc.

-The main reason is because the AI gets $$ due to scripting, and in the early game of a broke faction it can get extremely hard to beat the incoming stacks without taking too many loses. Oh and don't forget about rebels. That is what mest up my Aedui campain in VH/VH, by the time I killed the Arverni, and was starting to bring up my econ the Romans were on my a** and I didn't have enough men to stop them (nor could I train enough due to little $$, and low MICs). The steppe factions have to deal with the unit making machine of the Seleucids.

-However, EB says you should use VH/M because in M battle difficulty you can "enjoy" the stat system EB came up with. A lot of people like it, me too, but I can't deal with how easy it is to beat the AI so after this campain, I am not playing M anymore.

-Another thing its popular in EB is "Role Playing" that is trying to play as historically close as possible. Especially with the romans. This includes limiting ur tactics to no bridge or top-of-the-hill battles, no all elite unit armies, no spamming slinger, no Rushing the AI, waiting a LONG time to expand or expanding VERY slowly. Only attacking with Generals, etc..... So M battle difficulty is good for that.

fancy assault unit Member blank's Avatar

For battles you're probably better off with Medium, as VH horribly skewers the unit balance.

As for campaign, it depends on what your play style is.
    If you're an aggressive player, you're fine with VH.

However, if you prefer to take it slow and build your infrastructure (like me), H or even M is better. Simply because on VH everybody will attack you and will not accept ceasefire no matter what you offer them, so you're forced to blitz them to get peace
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullheadhq View Post
    Now I can even store my dick in EB underwear

I played VH/M for long time , since that is recomended for EB. I switched to VH/H since it was becoming to boring to win every battle...You still can win, but will take way more effort and casualties , so i am happy for now..

I used to only play VH and H, but then I realized, I hate losing. So started playing VH/M. My next camp will be a VH/H though. As Sweboz maybe?

VH/VH, Baktria against the Seleukids, and then all civilised world. It took A LOT of time, and all the tactics I could think of, but in the end it was done.

You like EB? Buy CA games.

As mlp071 said at times medium battle settings can become too much easy. I play on VH/H settings, and for now I am enjoying my Romani campain.

Cheers.

i played VH/VH but switched to VH/H after a few rounds, after the second battle against gaesatae to be precise. IMO VH/H is most realistic (including merc script) and the best way to play this game/mod.

im at 215BC now and came to an insuperable hindrance called: (permanently)C.T.D.

it really s****.
    I like to conquer.

You of course tried the fixes...? I do not think the merc/money modifications are affected in any negative way.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Palasta
    ...........switched to VH/H after a few rounds, after the second battle against gaesatae to be precise................
    Yep, gaestae are known to have that effect.....

Quote Originally Posted by bovi
    You of course tried the fixes...? I do not think the merc/money modifications are affected in any negative way.
    if you reffering to the v0.81a v2 patch. yes, i have this in mind, downloaded it yesterday, but didnt install it because im afraid that it wont work.
    I like to conquer.

The patch, AND the new fix that was posted two weeks ago. AFAIK the merc modification is meant for V2 BTW.

================
    ================

Quote Originally Posted by bovi
    The patch, AND the new fix that was posted two weeks ago. AFAIK the merc modification is meant for V2 BTW.
    Correct, both, merc file and money script are worked on and tested in V2.

Original Mercs file is not included in V2 patch, but EBBS file , where the money scripts are, is.Therefore merc file is going to stay same after patching.

So if you want to use money script , you gonna need to reinstall (copy over) EBBS file with money script after installing V2 patch.

It is same EBBS file from V2 ,except that money portion is changed.

Easiest way would be just reapply whole thing after you are done patching.