Thread: Backroom Book of the Month Club

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

Default Backroom Book of the Month Club

Any interest in reading something for the sole purpose of finding out how your fellow Orgahs took it? Consensual experiences are something I think alot of people in general dig; personally I keep coming back to the backroom for that in particular. Don't tell me none of you have seen an interesting headline, book, or movie where you didn't think, 'Hrm, what would Louis or Frag have to say?' or 'I bet Don C and Pindar would have a good lol at this!'

What I think could be fun, is starting a book club, where anyone interested can suggest a book they'd like discussed, with a line or two about why. Then the selections can be put to a poll thread for a few days, and then we have our book. Anyone who's interested in participating then has a month or so to work their way through the book, and it can be discussed in that thread. Obviously people's book-reading time varies greatly from Orgah to Orgah, so a simple spoiler tag can be used if you feel like you're talking about a part of the book that can ruin it for someone who's behind you in page turning. I'd like it to be totally obligation free; if you're a part of the voting process and you were campaigning hard for Anna Karenina and yet an illustrated bio of Spiderman wins the vote, you should obviously feel no guilt in saying to hell with that month.

Anyway, just curious if there's any interest at all back here in something like this. I was just throwing out some rough guidelines, and if you're interested yet you have different ideas for an approach, I'm all ears.
    Last edited by Proletariat; 06-24-2007 at 05:57.

Default Re: Backroom Book of the Month Club

I would be interested in this.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Capital idea.

My nomination: Guns, Germs, and Steel (The Fates of Human Societies), Jared M. Diamond, W. W. Norton, 400+ paperback pages.

Full disclosure: recommeded to me by backroomer Idaho.

Wiki synopsis:
    According to the author, an alternative title would be A short history about everyone for the last 13,000 years.[1] But the book is not merely an account of the past; it attempts to explain why Eurasian civilization, as a whole, has survived and conquered others, while refuting the belief that Eurasian hegemony is due to any form of Eurasian intellectual, genetic or moral superiority. Diamond argues that the gaps in power and technology between human societies do not reflect cultural or racial differences, but rather originate in environmental differences powerfully amplified by various positive feedback loops. He also, most explicitly in the epilogue, argues that societies with food surpluses and high-to-moderate degrees of interaction with outsiders are more likely to encourage great people to realize their full potential and to adopt new inventions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proletariat
    ...Don't tell me none of you have seen an interesting headline, book, or movie where you didn't think, 'Hrm, what would Louis or Frag have to say?' or 'I bet Don C and Pindar would have a good lol at this!'...
    Heck I do that everyday. :)

Fine idea Prole. I hope it takes root.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

I would do it if I had time.

Nice idea
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Hop on Pop-Dr. Suess
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I suggest:
    Watership Down by Richard Adams
    Simply one of the best stories ever put on paper, it follows a band of rabbits that travel across dangerous countryside to make a new home, with terrifying and exciting adventures on the way. A masterpiece.

Also, I don't care really for Germs.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

I'll join! However, since I'm stuck in Norway, getting hold of any foreign books who are not well known is rather hard... but anyway:

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

A good an quite interesting book. Highly entertaining, and yet it manages to tell us something about the human mind..
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

I recommend:
    "The name of the rose", by Umberto Eco. An atmospheric novel with a plot centered around a series of murders in a Medieval monastery, filled with historical references, philosophical thoughts, and good dialogue. It contains some incredibly well written scenes, IIRC for example an inquisitor scene, and some good description and discussion of thoughts in the Medieval world, especially in the monasteries and religious orders.
    Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 06-24-2007 at 17:31.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Brilliant idea, Prole!

I'll participate, but on a loose basis. That is, with so many great books out there, and so precious little time, I'll only participate when it's about a book I'd love to read.
    I don't mind if it's fiction or non-fiction. I do think non-fiction generally would better suit the Backroom environment.

I've read Guns, germs and steel before. Great book, highly recommended. Currently, I'm having a great time reading 'Maus', by Art Spiegelman. I finished part I yesterday night in bed. I couldn't put it down. Unfortunately, only near the very end did I realise there is also a part II.
    I'll be running to my bookshop on monday...
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

The idea is not bad, but it would require people to spend lots of time in reading books. I would prefer a philosophical question (or something of the likes) -- without the necessity of a book at hand -- where you can simply jump in if you have anything to say you think necessary.

I would not participate, but I would not oppose the idea either.
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Careful guys, Oprah might sue.
    RIP Tosa

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

I like the idea, but like Louis will only be able to loosely participate.
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II