Thread: This is kind of ridiculous (1.2 install problems) (yes I read the stickies)

Default This is kind of ridiculous (1.2 install problems) (yes I read the stickies)

I'm hoping someone can help.

I've had M2TW shelved for a few months now. I figured I'd pick it up again since I saw 1.2 came out.

I installed 1.0 from the cd, then d/l and installed the 1.2 patch:
    miitw_update2_efigs_rc_final.exe

As part of the installation I noticed it put .Net 1.1 on my computer. Ok, I thought, no big deal. I've already got .Net 2.0 and .Net 3.0 on my computer, but I never installed 1.1, I just went straight to the latest versions. It would've been nice if it would have asked, but I suppose it won't hurt.

After restarting my computer, now I have this stupid login screen where I have to select my username to get into the computer. never did that before, but I suppose I can live with it. Also, my firewall (Ashampoo free friewall) just stopped working. Jesus, ok, let me uninstall that and go to windows firewall. This better be worth it.

Tried loading up M2TW.

M2TW has encountered an unspecified error and will now quit.

Grrrrr...

Ok, maybe I need to go from 1.0 to 1.1 and then install 1.2. Let me try to install 1.1. and then afterwards I'll put 1.2 on top of it.

'The installer has detected that you already have version 1.2 installed. You can't install 1.1'

Ok, so now what?

I tried uninstalling M2TW and reinstalling from cd.

Booted up version 1.0. Works great.

Applied the 1.1 patch, booted the game up. Works great.

Applied the 1.2 patch. Looks like it's installed fine.

Tried booting the game:
    'M2TW has encountered an unspecified error and will now quit.'

Anyone have any ideas?

I've tried going straight from 1.0 to 1.2, nothing.
    I've tried going from 1.0 -> 1.1 -> 1.2 hangs after 1.2 is installed.

My firewall is broken and now I've got this idiotic login screen where I have to select my username, even though I'm the only user.

I could really use some help here guys. Thanks for any ideas.

Default Re: This is kind of ridiculous (1.2 install problems) (yes I read the stickies)

Going straight from 1.0 to 1.2 is the recommended way to go, or so the popular opinion says. That's how I did it and it went smoothly with no problems...

Try the following :
    1. Uninstall M2TW
    2. Backup your save, mod, tga and replay folders
    3. Delete the SEGA folder from Program Files
    4. Run regedit, search for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/SEGA key and delete it
    5. Uninstall .NET (Control Panel > Add / Remove programs)
    6. Reboot
    7. Re-download the patch from a different source ; make sure it's not the leaked version
    8. Install 1.0, then 1.2 (don't run the game before 1.2 ; don't run the unpacker after)
    9. Start the game ; pray...

EDIT : the M2TW uninstaller might offer to remove all folders ; I don't remember if this is the case. It might also remove the registry keys - but you need to check and make sure it's all gone. CAUTION : If you have other SEGA games installed, you need to be more selective when deleting folders and registry key - only remove those pertaining to M2TW, not the whole SEGA folder/key.

About your logon problem, try this and see if it works :

1. start > run > type "control userpasswords2" in the "open" box.
    2. the user accounts settings should pop up
    3. uncheck the "Users must enter a username to use this computer" option
    4. Reboot

I can't help much with the firewall. Only one suggestion - if you're on DSL, many modems have an integrated hardware firewall which is disabled by default - check your modem manual and the setting application for clues. If you have it and succeed in enabling it, it should work better than software firewalls, as it doesn't use resources on your PC to do its job. Warning : don't take my word for it as I'm not exactly an expert - do some research or ask somebody who knows.
    Last edited by Ars Moriendi; 06-24-2007 at 08:16.

"That's what we need : someone who'll strike the most brutal blow possible, with perfect aim and with no regard for consequences. Total War."

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

Default Re: This is kind of ridiculous (1.2 install problems) (yes I read the stickies)

Quote Originally Posted by Ars Moriendi
    Going straight from 1.0 to 1.2 is the recommended way to go, or so the popular opinion says. That's how I did it and it went smoothly with no problems...

Try the following :
    1. Uninstall M2TW
    6. Reboot
    7. Re-download the patch from a different source ; make sure it's not the leaked version
    8. Install 1.0, then 1.2 (don't run the game before 1.2 ; don't run the unpacker after)

EDIT : the M2TW uninstaller might offer to remove all folders ; I don't remember if this is the case. It might also remove the registry keys - but you need to check and make sure it's all gone. CAUTION : If you have other SEGA games installed, you need to be more selective when deleting folders and registry key - only remove those pertaining to M2TW, not the whole SEGA folder/key.

About your logon problem, try this and see if it works :

1. start > run > type "control userpasswords2" in the "open" box.
    2. the user accounts settings should pop up
    3. uncheck the "Users must enter a username to use this computer" option
    4. Reboot

I can't help much with the firewall. Only one suggestion - if you're on DSL, many modems have an integrated hardware firewall which is disabled by default - check your modem manual and the setting application for clues. If you have it and succeed in enabling it, it should work better than software firewalls, as it doesn't use resources on your PC to do its job. Warning : don't take my word for it as I'm not exactly an expert - do some research or ask somebody who knows.
    This should work, but there are some variations if it doesn't.
    5. Download .NET from Microsoft and install it yourself.
    6A. Defrag your hard disk.
    9. Pray and then start the game.

Other options. Got these from several different forums.
    The updater will update and fail if it finds preferences.cfg and the other textfiles. On guy at the com even deleted RTW because that was in the same Sega folder.
    Be certain that you have enough space on your disk.
    You could also install M2 on a different harddisk.

Good luck!
    Tosa Inu

Every time your game crashes, you have can check the system.log file in the main folder. It usually tells you the problem.

Paste that file here after the game has crashed, and we can probably tell you what the problem is.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

i installed 1.2 version, computer asks that dum admin password, battles do not work.. so i just removed the game, intstalled it again, upgraded it to 1.1 version again.. thanks creative assambley...
    it all seems so stupid
    that it makes me want to give up
    but why should i give up
    that it is so stupid
    © depeche mode

It sounds to me this is Gamespy code screwing things up as usual. It would certainly explain to me why the .NeT update and the firewall were involved as Gamespy are never happy until they own your computer.

Its one of the reasons why I would never consider playing this game online.
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

After installing .net I think it creates some kind of hidden user, that's why the logon screen comes up. To access the user options quickly, you can click on the little icon in the upper left of your start menu, next to your username, then click cancel until you see the list of computer users and delete the new one(don't remember what it's called), for me that solved the problem and didn't raise any new ones. The user account options can also be accessed through the system options, but I always "shortcut" by clicking the icon in the startmenu to get to the "change your icon" part and then just go back to the account list.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Ars Moriendi

Try the following :
    1. Uninstall M2TW
    6. Reboot
    Ok, it worked. :)
    No idea why, that's basically what I did the first time except for two things.

1. I removed all instances of .net (2.0 & 3.0 as well) before patching. I'm going to cross my fingers and try reinstalling them now.

2. (and I think this might actually be the issue as bizarre as it sounds) I had created a directory inside my M2TW directory called /patches. I was trying to install the patch from there. (this is where I get a little creative) Before uninstalling / reinstalling, I checked the log to see if I could figure out the problem. The log told me it was mounting the pack files, but then it went to look for:
    \data\graphics\grahics.cfg or something like that (I can't remember the actual file name, just that it was in \data\graphics. Now I don't have a graphics folder inside my data folder, so I guessed it should actually be looking inside one of the packs. So my creative thought process is that possibly, because I'd manually created a folder called /patches inside my M2TW directory, somehow that was telling the game that I was running unpacked or something, so when it went to look for this file, it was trying to find the unpacked file, couldn't and hung.

It's the best I can come up with. At least now, since I havent' touched the M2TW directory at all on this install, everything works.

Thanks for the help guys.

One possible problem that I thought of the other day is with unpacking after the 1.2 update. I realized, long after I had 1.2 update issues, that I had started having them after I unpacked the game: I played fine until that point, for about half a day. Anyone wanna guess what was up? I forgot to delete those damned files that make the game hang if they're unpacked. It was so long since I did a full unpack, that the previous issue that was still around entirely slipped my mind. I'm guessing a great many complaints of "the battles don't work now" are due to this long-standing problem, reincarnated due to fresh 1.2 unpacking.

I'm not saying it's the case for any of the users who've posted issues in this thread, but it may help as a general reminder to anyone who typically unpacks, since it's something easy to forget in the many months since you last may have had to remember it.

See my Sig+ below! (Don't see it? Get info here)