Thread: Charging bonus

Default Charging bonus

Hello all,

I've been wondering, if the charge bonus only occurs when you dubble-click on the target unit, or if it's sufficient to let the unit 'run' into the target. The latter makes it easier to apply the charge where it hurts the most, by clicking behind the target, but losing the charge bonus is a serious drawback.

And on a side note: Do you have to "run" to make a charge, or will sigle-clicking on the target give you the charge bonus as well?

yours,

/HG

Default Re: Charging bonus

Running men do get the bonus.

Also see here for full engine/combat workings (including the charge):
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=75233

The charge is affected by charging unit cohesion, melee mode setting, as well as front men touching the enemy and enemy front touched.

For exaple if your cavalry is charging after running some distance put "hold formation" while running and release it to "engage at will" shortly before they touch the opponents.(The more the better applies).

Many Thanks

Noir
    Last edited by Noir; 06-25-2007 at 12:03.

Single clicking on the target is all it takes. Your unit will automatically begin to charge when they are fairly close to the target. Double clicking will just make them run and get there faster.

Defeater of the Wicker People Member The Darkhorn's Avatar

I still find myself often afraid they won't do it. I have seen them NOT charge! They just end up getting charged sometimes!!!
    We are men of action...lies do not become us.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Brave_Sir_Robin
    Single clicking on the target is all it takes. Your unit will automatically begin to charge when they are fairly close to the target. Double clicking will just make them run and get there faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darkhorn
    I still find myself often afraid they won't do it. I have seen them NOT charge! They just end up getting charged sometimes!!!
    In my experience, it seems like this feature is a little bit buggy. While single-clicking on an enemy unit is *usually* all that's necessary, it doesn't always work like it should. I've noticed on more than one occasion where men in a particular unit don't do what they're supposed to after single-clicking on them; instead, they just stroll on up to the enemy in a casual manner and attack them in a more leisurely fashion. This fortunately doesn't happen often, but it has occurred enough times that I usually keep an eye on units -- particularly cavalry -- that are about to execute a crucial charge.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Orginally posted by Martok
    This fortunately doesn't happen often, but it has occurred enough times that I usually keep an eye on units -- particularly cavalry -- that are about to execute a crucial charge.
    Never seen this in cavalry or infantry... now you gave me suspicions though ! I'll observe better...

Many Thanks

Noir

Quote Originally Posted by Noir
    Never seen this in cavalry or infantry... now you gave me suspicions though ! I'll observe better...

Many Thanks

Noir
    Well there's no need to get too paranoid about it. Like I said, it's still a fairly uncommon occurrence in my experience, so I don't worry about it overly much. It's just that when the anomaly does happen, it usually does so when I'm least expecting it to -- i.e., it's not happened in a good while, and so I let my guard down....

Originally posted by Martok
    It's just that when the anomaly does happen, it usually does so when I'm least expecting it to -- i.e., it's not happened in a good while, and so I let my guard down....
    Heh - i know what you mean - typical. I can imagine also what sort of catastrophic consequences it can have for one's campaign, if a critical charge or two fail in the middle of a decisive confrontation (a new Mazinkert? Azincourt?).

Out of curiosity, does it happen equally when you are neatly lined up against the target unit/blob and when the charge is ordered when the unit hasn't turned to face the target irrespectively?

Many Thanks

Noir

Quote Originally Posted by Noir
    Out of curiosity, does it happen equally when you are neatly lined up against the target unit/blob and when the charge is ordered when the unit hasn't turned to face the target irrespectively?

Many Thanks

Noir
    Well first of all bear in mind that my powers of observation aren't always the keenest, so you should probably take what I say with a grain of salt. That said, the anomaly usually seems more likely to occur in the middle of battle (after things have become somewhat chaotic). Towards the beginning of combat -- when both armies are still in something resembling an organized line of battle -- I've noticed fewer problems with this happening. Make of that what you will.
    Last edited by Martok; 07-03-2007 at 19:32.

Seems like it depends on how tired the unit is... they seem to charge less when they get tired.

Originally posted by lord illingsworth
    Seems like it depends on how tired the unit is... they seem to charge less when they get tired.
    This is true, the more fatigued the unit the slower it gets in running speed. Particularly knights and the like (heavy armor cavalry) can get really snail like in long battles. The charge still applies but the effect is lessened due to lower momentum (less running speed before hiting the target). This however is balanced out by fatigue plaguing enemy units too - fresh swords can withstand charges initially - perhaps even beat the horses back. Tired swords however will take to the hills as soon as they are charged by (also tired) cavalry.

Also if you follow the above link i posted you'll notice that unit stats are lowered the more the unit gets tired - again leading to less effective charges.

For this knights, have only a few "full" charges in them - so using them effectively is one of the nice features of the game.

I am certain though that Martok is refering to something else.

Many Thanks

Noir
    Last edited by Noir; 07-05-2007 at 05:14.

Thank you for answers and input - I find the unpredictable part of the game to actually be one of its strenghs: A cavalry charge isn't always succesfull, sometimes your guys get tired, sometimes pesants do make a difference (no - only kiddin').

After paying more attention to the matter I still have some difficulties exactly to *see* when a charge hits home, and when it fails. I must admit I never saved a battle replay. I'm good, but not good enough to admire myself, and far to selfabsorbed to wach my own failures. I usually have a clue why I lost anyway. But does charges reflect in the replays?

/HG

Yes it does reflect - you'll be able to see the No. of kils your men are doing in the replay. A succesful charge inflicts around 15% casualties upon a unit's strength according to St Louis' MP guide in the MP forum IIRC.

The game keeps log files of unit doings after a battle that are detailed but somehow difiicult to give you quickly and comprehensivey the info you are looking for. However clans have developed a number of tools that do that for you - again check the MP guide in the jousting fields.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=32936

For myself viewing replays is enough for the moment.

Many Thanks

Noir
    Last edited by Noir; 07-05-2007 at 14:02.