Thread: No marriage proposals

Default No marriage proposals

I am trying to build up a nice family tree, with good genetics and the rest.

One general, Francis, is the most perfect General you could wish for.

He is a Born Conqueror, Physically Striking, top level Fertile, etc. and by the age of 26 or so was 10*, with Enjoys The Dark, Promising Attacker and Defender Traits. He has Chivalrous Knights and all sorts of other retinue people, and the only bad thing on his card is a Pagan Magician.

Yet age 36 he has had no marriage proposals. Neither have several of my other Generals - the only proposals come for the women family members.

Same with the only other 10* general I had on a previous game. Why can't the good genes get passed through??

Default Re: No marriage proposals

Bumping this, cause I got the exact same problem.

A few times now, I've seen princes (rarely crown princes) and male relatives of the Royal Line die alone at old age, with no heir to continue on their lagacy.

When possible, I try and marry young generals off to a Princesses, but find their numbers lacking at best, mainly cause they occur only when their father is either King or Crown Prince. The rest of the female representatives just becomes Noble ladies who can then only be woed by "lesser" nobility.

(Please correct me, if I am wrong in this.)

I find it odd, that you cannot arrange marriage between Noble Ladies and generals, given that an arranged marriage in medieval times was often not only common, but also expected by nobility.

But, given that this is the case, and said Ladies are just there to water up the Royal Line with common peasantry, could anyone explain how to ensure, or atleast increase the chance of a General getting a marriage?

In advance, thanks for the help.

hm, i got chicks for marry after 2 turns of generals appearance sometimes its even 17 years old for 17 yo

Just to clarify.

I am completely willing, if dealing with this problem requires it, to go beyond the aforehand laid boundries of the game (as in cheating or modding).

But would need a little guidance to do so.

The only solution to this i guess, would be to train up outside your family line, and use your princess to marry the "perfect General"

I had a theory on location being relevant to marriage proposals, but i dropped it once i couldn't find any solid evidence to back it. Perhaps someone who knows some of the game triggers for such things might chime in for this topic, cause i'd like to know too

"Don't mind me, i happen the have the Insane trait....." -Me

It seems that some people just don´t marry until mid 30s or before 50...
    Like once i started playing French and i got this Louis (not the starting heir, around 3rd Louis i had) He didn´t marry until he was 47 and managed to get 1 kid... Happily this kid got up fertile and good taxman with chivalry legacy and got 3 daughters and 1 son before 45.
    Some just don´t want to marry, it´s human nature. They seem to drop their interest if they have many brothers and sisters.
    Homo Sapiens non Urinat in Ventum - the wise man does not piss against the wind.

I think the real reason behind this is that the game limits the number of generals a player has based upon the size of his territory. The problem is, it doesn't account for the generals, I think, until after they come of age.

So, in one generation you could have a general with, say, four sons born in close succession (sp?), but once they all come of age it may actually put you over this limit. The result is no marriage proposals and no new births for quite some time. Once the older generation starts dying off, or you conquer more territory, you will pass the threshold again to begin expanding the family line.

It may sound quirky, but I think it is beneficial. I've had experiences in early games where two very fertile family members made so many male children and, therefore, future general's bodyguards, that their upkeep alone killed my economy. In the late game it isn't an issue, but early on getting swamped with expensive units like that hurts a great deal.

In my experience if you have princesses the game tends to want to marry them off before any generals even if the generals are older. It's not always the case but many times I have had many offers for princesses and none for generals. After the princesses are married off more offers tend to come through for generals.

Of course it is possible this is just due to coincidence and/or due the reduced number of marriageable family members. However as a rule if no decent guys pop up after the second or third offer for a princess I marry them off if there unmarried generals kicking about.

Well, now I'll update the situation.

I have 120 or so territories, and 56 Generals. Every few turns I get a notice saying a Lady has reached the age where she is unable to have children. I quite often get suitable husbands or adoptions now, which keeps me just above the rate of natural increse for my family. But the male generals are lucky to ever get a wife, most of them die alone. I also am more frequently getting Man of The Hour Generals, more useful to me as they are on the front line already. But they always either get themselves killed quickly, one was assassinated before I had a chance to even see his stats, and frequently the message comes up saying the general died before the adoption could take place.

What's wrong?

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

Do you play the English? Because when that is the case you won't get as many generals as you have regions. Whenever I play as the English I always end up with only half the amount of generals of the amount of regions that I have. I am now playing the Turks and have a almost 1 on 1 ratio.
    Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Alphonse
    Do you play the English? Because when that is the case you won't get as many generals as you have regions. Whenever I play as the English I always end up with only half the amount of generals of the amount of regions that I have. I am now playing the Turks and have a almost 1 on 1 ratio.
    No matter who i play i have only 1 family member for every 2 cities.

In my game as Russia, I always used a princess to solve this problem. My first or second leader was Prolific, so every leader (I've had five of them) had four kids, and every time it was one boy and three girls, without fault, so it's FIFTEEN gals for my generals. Near the end of the game, I couldn't find a foreign princess anywhere (killed off a lot of Catholics, whoopsie) and I had to give to my heir his 9yr older aunt, *bleh* but she was Vision of Beauty and Scholarly (no danger of Inbred trait, the triggers for that one are totally random). So there is such a thing as too many girls in the family. That generals cap theory might be true, no generals could get married for about 80-100 years, until I conquered the Middle East.
    I need scissors! 61!!

My guess is that the guy is tiny downstairs...
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

I wanted to try and write a decent reply to this and it started getting a bit long so I ended up writing my guide.

it does give you ideas on how to increase your chances of having someone to marry your favourite generals, however there is no definite way to make sure becuase if you keep marrying people in the family they will have 4 kids and your family can expand exponentially and then you will no longer get the event proposal for marriage or adoption into the family until your family isn't as large (a few people kick the bucket) so try to keep your family as small as you possibly can and only ever try to marry your king and faction heir, and then maybe a general you like that has good traits and that way your family tree shouldn't be too overloaded however you will need more generals from time to time but just don't marry too many couples and you should be ok :)
    I play Custom Campaign Mod with 1.2!
    My guide on the Family Tree - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87794
    Kobal2fr's guides on training chars to be
    Governors - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=86130
    Generals - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87740
    Blue's guide to char development - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87579