Thread: Adjusting projectile stats

Rangers Lead the Way 3/75 RRGT Member RangerLee's Avatar

Default Adjusting projectile stats

Very much a newb when it comes to moding M2TW. So starting simple, I have unpacked the files. How would I go about doing something as simple as modifying the projectile weapon damage, accuracy and so on, for example on cannons and muskets?

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Default Re: Adjusting projectile stats

Most projectiles have an accuracy line. This ranges from 0.00000000 etc to 1.
    The lower that number, the higher the accuracy. This means that if you give a projectile an accuracy of 1, it will always miss horribly.
    An accuracy of 0 on the other hand means always hit. Do note that sometimes a slightly higher than 0 number is better than a straight 0, as at 0, the projectile will hit the dead center of the unit, as indicated by the red column. Also, for balance reasons, having everything hit at 0 is rather....unfun.

Damage. Damage against units is controlled by the descr_unit file while damage against buildings is controlled by the projectile file. Which values to change should be intuitive.

From personal testing, Area and mass do nothing, while radius control the size of impact and the area in which damage is dealt. So higher radius = more devastating. Note that 0.1 radius increments are very small and nearly unnoticable. A too high radius (usually 2.6 or higher) is dangerous for the crew, as the projectile will often hit backward, killing your crew and units near your artillery instead of the intended target.

Stuff like groundshatter and boucne need to come in a specific order. So if you activate bounce for instance, at times you'll note M2TW failing to laod (i.e. CTD), but the errorlog should tell you where to then place the lines.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

FactionHeir, thanks so much. For the accuracy line, I do not see that in the export_descr_unit.txt, is that found in a different file?

yeah the accuracy line is found in descry_export_projectiles
    there look for accuracy against units....

Yes, its in the projectile file. While I was typing the initial reply, I assumed that we are talking about the projectile file when not specified due to your original post focussing on it.

Hope that helps.
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Helps alot, thanks to both of you!

Is that file in the data folder with the rest of them such as the expor_descr_unit? I have been unable to find that projectile file. Thanks again.

You need to use the unpacker to get it.

Right, I used the unpacker, this is why I can see the unit.txt file, however I did not find the projectile file. I was just wondering if it is in a different spot.

I have ran the unpacker a second time but can not for the life of me find descry_export_projectiles

Where is it located? Even doing a search for that file on the whole computer does not bring it up?

It is Descr_export_projectile and its located in the main data folder.....

Ahh ha, found it, it is actually named Descr_projectile, that is what was messing me up, I kept looking for it with export in the name.

thanks again.