Thread: Immigration bill dead (again)

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Default Immigration bill dead (again)

The Senate fell 16 votes short of the 60 needed to proceed. It didn't even manage a majority. link
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default Re: Immigration bill dead (again)

Does this mean that Karl Rove's kid has to pick tomatoes or make beds in Las Vegas?

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

What a good article. Im sigging this

In the United States professions are more or less laborious, more or less profitable; but they are never either high or low: every honest calling is honorable
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

I am offered 2 choices.
    Accounting at my mother's friend's firm as an intern
    Get paid minimum wage to wash dishes.

I'm washing dishes.

Americans in Action
    Last edited by Marshal Murat; 06-28-2007 at 20:43.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

I'm getting to a point were I dont even blame the Mexicans anymore. Hell I'd take a job in a country that would make my paycheck increase ten fold in America. Every Friday when Im at work the construction workers come into the bank (in the store odd) cash the check and then go and buy food booze and cigs. These people aernt trying to screw the system and they dont try to shove Mexico down my thorat in fact most are very timid as if they know one false move is going to bring them very uneeded attention. I think even if all the illegals were gone tommorw it wouldnt hage the demographics were I live. I have Germans, Mexicans and German-Mexicans both groups can be loud and downright annyoing about there damn heritagebut I've learned to deal with both of them. although Im vhemntly agianst illegals due to economic reasons I do realize most are just trying to get by and I really cant fault them for it. We are the land of oppurtuinty after all. Our idoits in laland need to **** or get off the pot becuase Im sick of the lot of them.

MM, What paid more?
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

The washing position.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur's article
    It would do all that, of course, but most importantly it would change the very nature of our society for the worse, creating whole occupations deemed to be unfit for respectable Americans, for which little brown people have to be imported from abroad.
    This really is the core problem with immigration imho, the caste of second-class citizens it creates, this is surely true for Europe, and probably the US too.

But we don't want our children to get their hands dirty
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Does this mean that Karl Rove's kid has to pick tomatoes or make beds in Las Vegas?

But, how much are you and the wife saving to put your baby lemurs through the best colleges possible to keep them from having to do "mexican" work?

Karl Rove said what many middle and even lower class american parents are thinking...

I consider it part of the American spirit not to be content washing dishes or painting fences. Its a good thing we're having to import mexicans to do these jobs as most Americans are aiming for bigger and better.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South
    I'm getting to a point were I dont even blame the Mexicans anymore. Hell I'd take a job in a country that would make my paycheck increase ten fold in America. Every Friday when Im at work the construction workers come into the bank (in the store odd) cash the check and then go and buy food booze and cigs. These people aernt trying to screw the system and they dont try to shove Mexico down my thorat in fact most are very timid as if they know one false move is going to bring them very uneeded attention. I think even if all the illegals were gone tommorw it wouldnt hage the demographics were I live. I have Germans, Mexicans and German-Mexicans both groups can be loud and downright annyoing about there damn heritagebut I've learned to deal with both of them. although Im vhemntly agianst illegals due to economic reasons I do realize most are just trying to get by and I really cant fault them for it. We are the land of oppurtuinty after all. Our idoits in laland need to **** or get off the pot becuase Im sick of the lot of them.

MM, What paid more?

Kind of what I've been saying/thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by doc_bean
    This really is the core problem with immigration imho, the caste of second-class citizens it creates, this is surely true for Europe, and probably the US too.
    It's always been this way with immigration. Germans, Polish, Italians, and Irish to name a few. This isn't new. While this happens to many that come over, their offspring, and then their further offspring are able to move up and gradually improve their lives.

I'm living proof of this. I'm a decedent of Italian, German, and Irish immigrants all who immigrated here in the early 1900's to escape poverty.

Even the Pilgrims were fed by the Native Americans.
    Wooooo!!!

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJager
    But, how much are you and the wife saving to put your baby lemurs through the best colleges possible to keep them from having to do "mexican" work?

Karl Rove said what many middle and even lower class american parents are thinking...

I consider it part of the American spirit not to be content washing dishes or painting fences. Its a good thing we're having to import mexicans to do these jobs as most Americans are aiming for bigger and better.
    I think you might miss the point - Mr. Rove seemingly never wants his son to have to work such menial jobs. That is the problem. Saying one wants their children not to make careers as farm workers is great - saying they never want their kids to do certain jobs is bad. It marks the thinking of different jobs as more honorable than others.

To work such laborious jobs to earn money as a teen for cars or college is part of being an American. Thinking that someone who scores an easy internship is better than the blue collar kid is dangerous to our society.

It's one thing to not be content with such jobs, quite another to consider them beneath you.

The washing position.
    If washing dishes paid minimum wage, was the internship not paid? Anyways, have fun! I had to wash dishes for a while, and I know it can be...fun.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ice
    It's always been this way with immigration. Germans, Polish, Italians, and Irish to name a few. This isn't new. While this happens to many that come over, their offspring, and then their further offspring are able to move up and gradually improve their lives.

I'm living proof of this. I'm a decedent of Italian, German, and Irish immigrants all who immigrated here in the early 1900's to escape poverty.
    That's different. Those people we actual immigrants who came over to become citizens. The "guest worker" program that was proposed was no such thing. All it allowed for was the temporary importation of cheap labor, which would then be sent back home once their employers were finished with them.

If we really need more laborers, then we should setup a system to allow for more legal immigrants. But, I really think most businesses are after cheap labor specifically, not just more labor in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South
    I'm getting to a point were I dont even blame the Mexicans anymore.
    Who blames them? They're just trying to make a buck. It's those that employ them illegally and our government that looks the other way that is at fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit
    To work such laborious jobs to earn money as a teen for cars or college is part of being an American. Thinking that someone who scores an easy internship is better than the blue collar kid is dangerous to our society.

It's one thing to not be content with such jobs, quite another to consider them beneath you.

I'm of the opinion that a little hard work builds character- we shouldn't be afraid of it. I certainly had my share of crappy jobs in HS and college.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln