Thread: Unit Stats Q and can foreign people be your Bren?

Handler of candles Member Xehh II's Avatar

Default Unit Stats Q and can foreign people be your Bren?

Is there a way to modify unit stats? Because I'm sick of 120 Gaestae destroying my super Greek/Roman army, I'm playing as Casse and those Greek and Roman Soldiers cost me a fortune.

And can foreign people be your Bren? I bribed a roman family member and he showed up on my family tree but he was murdered by those unrealistic Gaestae before I could see if I could name him my heir.
    A ha ha! Rainbows and unicorns! Rainbows and unicorns!

Default Re: Unit Stats Q and can foreign people be your Bren?

You want to search for gaesatae in export_descr_unit.txt.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

What battle difficulty are you playing at?
    Those who would give up essential liberties for a perceived sense of security deserve neither liberty nor security--Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by mcantu
    What battle difficulty are you playing at?
    I'm playing on normal battle difficulty.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Regardless of difficulty level or whatever ungodly amounts of XP they may have, Gaesatae and their ilk go down obediently enough under the tender attentions of slingers and archers.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

I use to play an lot against them and never had problems with it.... You just need to engage each unit of them with more of one of theirs and to support them with missile units or cavalry charge.... Hit hard and without mercy... If you are having problems with them act like this: Try to kill their general asap, kill all druids (Carnute Cingetos) if they have, roat other units to make them loss some morale and THEN try to kill the fanatics... Shot them with all the missiles you can, attack them from more than one side and keep your chariots near to boast your units morale and to disrupt theirs... Even if you are overnumbered try to attack them allways with more troops than they have, killing one unit at an time and distracting the others, but fast as you can. And keep your general out of their range at least until they are wavering.
    Use all trick you can and no enemy will be able to beat you. They can be more, richest and stronguest, but you have one think they dont (unless you're in MP): a BRAIN =)

Or you can just go to Ireland (I think) and get some Uachtarach DuboGaiscaocha (Goidilic Armoured Shock Infantry) that they'll do the job.

But yes, you can just change stats in export_descr_unit.txt, but I dont think you should because EB team knows what is doing and if they die easly to me why should they not do it to you? There's no supermans in EB... Just go to vannilla v1.0 and try to kill some armoured elephants

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xehh II
    And can foreign people be your Bren? I bribed a roman family member and he showed up on my family tree but he was murdered by those unrealistic Gaestae before I could see if I could name him my heir.
    I don't really see why it wouldn't be possible...it would be silly, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman
    Regardless of difficulty level or whatever ungodly amounts of XP they may have, Gaesatae and their ilk go down obediently enough under the tender attentions of slingers and archers.
    WELL SAID!!! Gaestae are NOT hard to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralizec
    I don't really see why it wouldn't be possible...it would be silly, though.
    I wanted that roman to be my Bren because evey single family member was a fighter, not a thinker and that roman had full managment and full influence.
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSpartan
    WELL SAID!!! Gaestae are NOT hard to kill.
    How can you say that! Gaesatae are ridiculously hard to kill! 120 of them killed all my Greek and Roman soldiers and they were supported by 3 units of Toxotai and 1 unit of Toxotai Kretekoi.

was it at a city? i find them harder to kill in towns than in the open field, perhaps because they are fresher, but also because my men have less room to flank and missiles are hard to bring to bear.

my first experience with gaesatae playing as the casse went really well. here's what i did:

Full unit of 2exp Mala Gaeroas, in Hold formation, directly in front of the Gaesatae, with a lesser family member (with 2 command stars) arrayed behind them for a big bonus. I had heavier units than Gaeroas, but I figured if I could stop the Gaesatae long enough, I could come back and finish the job with the various bands of champions.

I didn't have any archers or slingers, but the mass javelin assault from my lines routed most of the Celtic army on approach, only the real soldiers (Gaeroas, Curoas, Gaesatae) kept up the attack.

I used my light cavalry (German mercs) to lay into the Gaesatae from the back. They didn't cause many casualties, but I know they were knocking out lots of hitpoints. Meanwhile, my Gaeroas were holding well (5 minutes of combat and something like 40-50 casualties).

As the rest of the Gallic army routed, I was able to bring more troops onto the flanks and rear of the Gaesatae. The charge of my sword champions finally broke them. They killed quite a few of my men, and fought for quite a long time, but they weren't difficult to kill--just took time.
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

was it at a city? i find them harder to kill in towns than in the open field, perhaps because they are fresher, but also because my men have less room to flank and missiles are hard to bring to bear.
    Yes, if they were in an city is another thing. When I saw then inside an city I always keep the siege until they attack or give up. Gaesatae are true nightmares when in the city center....

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitan_Centurion
    Yes, if they were in an city is another thing. When I saw then inside an city I always keep the siege until they attack or give up. Gaesatae are true nightmares when in the city center....
    true... BUT just buy a couple of phalanx mercs (greek or macedonian) and u won't take so many casualties, it will take a while though.

Outside a city, easy. Just treat them as you would any Elite unit.
    -A decent unit or 2 in HOLD formation in the front to hold them,
    -A cavalry to change and re-chage in the back.
    -Then a good infantry to hit them in the back.

IF posible, fight them from the the elevated ground, hit them with arrows/javelings/stone...

In M battle difficulty is really a BREEZE. In H then u need to be carefull, in VH your in deep s*** but is still winnable.

Don't understatimate them, don't get overconfident, EXPECT casualties. Just play smart.
    Last edited by NeoSpartan; 06-26-2007 at 21:58.

Incidentally, I noticed enough Kluddolon could deal with a random Eleutheroi stack of a few Tindanotae pretty well. The naked men didn't seem to appreciate the sheer volume of javelins and itchy dwarves with steak knives coming from all directions...

Sure, I lost a fair few of the shirtless little fellows in the process but who the heck counts them anyway ? They're easy to replace.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

I found the gaesatae file thing and this is how I changed them, I lowered their armour to 1 their def skill to 15 and their shield to 3, I lowered their attack to 10 but raised their HP to 3.
    I then refought the battle with my Greek/Roman army and I won but they killed enough of my soldiers to retain their "super-infantry" status.

I hahve another Q, what is the name of the Galatian "Gaesatae"?

Tindonetai...

Cheers...

What is XSQOC?

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Closet Celtophile Member Redmeth's Avatar

Galatikoi Tindanotae

gourmand of carrot juices Member Lowenklee's Avatar

Weak. Seriously, and with no intention of personally slandering anyone, the fault lies not with unit stats for the Gaesatae but with tactical deficiency on the part of the player.

The Gasatae are easy to draw out from the enemy line with cavalry or missile troops at which point they perish wholesale. Even in pitched fighting I simply pin them with levies and charge their flank or rear with whatever is handy. Skirmishers of any kind work well in this capacity if they have missiles available...yes skirmishers believe it or not
    It's just not worth it to waste veteran troops or elite troops against them so why bother?

The Gaesatae are not supermen, and sound tactics work against them. Their strength, like many of the units in EB, is situational but if attention is not paid in learning their weaknesses than why expect to win?

These sorts of complaints frustrate me.

Asia ton Barbaron mapper Member Pharnakes's Avatar

Smile Re: Unit Stats Q and can foreign people be your Bren?

I entirely agree, Gaesatae are increibly easy to take down, I actualy strengthen mine with more 2 more defense skill and 1 more attack.
    Asia ton Barbaron The new eastern mod for eb!

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

I have done every tactic that all you people have said and they don't work! Everyone says missle units kill them, that's rubbish! I had 3 units of Toxotai, 1unit of Toxotai Kretikoi, 4 units of Iasotae and 1 unit of Those Thracian Peltasts All firing at the Gaesatae that were running up a hill and when the Gaesatae got to my line they had only lost 1 man.

Asia ton Barbaron mapper Member Pharnakes's Avatar

Smile Re: Unit Stats Q and can foreign people be your Bren?

pin wiht some solid defensive troops, phalanx if posible, then flank with two untis of laostate and pore fire into their bcakside form 20 feet, and I guarantee they will not last more than thirty seconds.
    Asia ton Barbaron The new eastern mod for eb!

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Yes, pin them, then hit with missiles, when using archers flaiming ammo is also good for lowering morale. At the same time as you are pouring missiles into their right flank you can hit them with lancers in the rear. Just remember to pull them out as soon as the charge ends.

It works, we have all done it. This isn't how we torture newbies.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

I've mauled stacks of multiple Eleutheroi Gaesatae mostly by the expedient of letting them (very unsuccesfully) play tag with my Iaosatae (and sending the rocks to their unshielded sides whenever possible) with Sotaroas to add some fiery pain and some Leuce Epos and close-combat infantry for massed javelins, deterrent and pursuit. All of the buggers eventually routed (and were duly run down by the Epos) without ever having gotten into hand-to-hand combat; I think I got most of my casualties from stray 'friendly' slingstones.

The fact is, them naked buggers are supposed to form a corps de rupture as a part of a battleline with proper support. By their lonesomes they don't really add up to too much, and can be readily disposed of with militia/garrison-level troops if you know your stuff.