Thread: Iggy Pop and the (Slurry) shop.

Default Iggy Pop and the (Slurry) shop.

Now I like Iggy. I've been a fan of his since the early 70s because of this, I shall give him the benefit of the doubt about his outburst. He probably didn't know that what he said could be construed as racist. The thing is, is it?

The BBC has apologised after rock star Iggy Pop used a racist term during the coverage of the Glastonbury Festival.

During a studio interview after his performance, the veteran musician made the remark while talking about visiting shops in north London.
    In the interview, the singer launched into a long anecdote about going to Camden, and visiting "Paki shops".
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6238680.stm

I can remember a few years ago, whilst having a conversation with 'Mom' about the USA and I said the word 'spic' which I just thought was an abbreviation of hispanic. I was quickly disabused of that notion.

So, is Iggy a racist or just as ignorant as the rest of us?
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Default Re: Iggy Pop and the P*ki shop.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache
    I can remember a few years ago, whilst having a conversation with 'Mom' about the USA and I said the word 'spic' which I just thought was an abbreviation of hispanic. I was quickly disabused of that notion.
    I had the same experience using the p-word among some Brits, who likewise quickly disabused me of that notion. I too thought it was a harmless abbreviation. I don't use it anymore after that education.

I don't know if Iggy's a racist - but you'd think he'd be aware of his environment, and people's sensitivities. O'course he's built a career on outrage and rudeness, right?

BTW, I'll welcome any UK advice on whether we should amend the thread title.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Default Re: Iggy Pop and the P*ki shop.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan
    I had the same experience using the p-word among some Brits, who likewise quickly disabused me of that notion. I too thought it was a harmless abbreviation. I don't use it anymore after that education.

I don't know if Iggy's a racist - but you'd think he'd be aware of his environment, and people's sensitivities. O'course he's built a career on outrage and rudeness, right?

BTW, I'll welcome any UK advice on whether we should amend the thread title.
    "No cute fluffy kittens in this thread - move on".

BTW, does anyone remember that performance he did on The Word, wearing nothing but clear plastic? The slight of that old wrinkly, virtually naked, gave me nightmares.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default Re: Iggy Pop and the (Slurry) shop.

EDIT: In response to your question, yes, both are offensive terms. BG

Oh sorry
    Last edited by Strike For The South; 06-26-2007 at 15:19.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Discussion of potentially offensive remarks and words is always a challenge, so I would urge great care in responses.

The word in question has been left in IA's post because it is pertinent to the discussion, but that does not give carte blanche to then throw out other terms asking: "Is this offensive?"

Please note that like the n-word in the USA, the term being discussed is highly offensive to many when used by someone outside the group referred to, but often accepted by the community using it about themselves. Let's not repeat it unnecessarily.

Thank you kindly.

"If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Oi, I never realised that this four letter abbreviation was an offensive term. Is 'Pakistani' offensive too? What is the common / proper word?

Edit: Is Desi used in English too?
    Last edited by Louis VI the Fat; 06-26-2007 at 17:13.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Oi, I never realised that this four letter abbreviation was an offensive term. Is 'Pakistani' offensive too? What is the common / proper word?

Edit: Is Desi used in English too?
    Generally the terms Asian or south Asian are used by the media here, when discussing folks from the Indian sub continent.

The only Desi I know of was married to Lucille Ball.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

I think he just didn't know that the abbreviation is an affront in the UK. (and probably elsewhere, too) That's sad but I don't think that the problem is so well known in the States. The Article says that he has visited the shops so he doesn't seem to loathe the shopkeepers. Punks aren't generally known to be racists and I don't think Iggy is one.

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller