Thread: Uplink: Elite hacker

Default Uplink: Elite hacker

So guys my friend bought this game for me over steam called uplink I dled it and i've been addicted ever since. Since my school has some major blocking programs I cannot show you some links or give any actual substance but here is what i picked up.

Uplink is a game where you take control of a hacker and you break into and destroy or copy computer files, hack into and steal money from banks, go into major corporations main frames and decimate them with your uber hacking skill, go into the global criminal database and make your's or anyone elses criminal record clean or you can make them evil as hell then authorize arrest, and so on.

There is a plot later on in the game between two companies but i can't go more in on that because i usually get too daring in my digital bank heist and get caught by the cops

So i'm hoping people will look this game up after reading this review type thing and get into it. There is also a slight multipayer aspect to it where you can go on IRC in game and talk to other hackers round the globe(IRL)
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Default Re: Uplink: Elite hacker

Uplink is an old, but great game.

If I was going to buy it though, I wouldn't do it over Steam, I'd get it at totalgaming.net(the Galactic Civilizations people). Their download system is far less "evil" than steam imo.

I love the game, but never managed to complete it- I always get distracted by something new and shiny. (I think I'm a serial game non-finisher).
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

I played a demo of it a while back, and I must say it was surprisingly addictive for a game that centered around you being a hacker.
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

Addictive and frustrating in equal measure

EDIT: If you liked Uplink, grab Defcon - it's by the same company and is equally, strangely, good
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

I checked out the trailer for it but I am still not sure of what kind of game it actually is? Looks like an adventure, there is some live action stuff in the trailer, is that also in the game itself?
    See if I can get that demo as it isn't on Steam. Sounds good though.

Edit: Demo is right here:
    http://www.uplink.co.uk/demo.html

For Windows, Linux and Mac, be warned though as it is a whopping 7MB big!!
    Last edited by FesterShinetop; 06-30-2007 at 09:39.

"You have the insanity... of a manatee."

The whole game is a whooping 60MB

It easily fits on a USB - handy for school/work

The game itself is simply a hacking simulation - not much more to it than that.

It's surprisingly addictive, though.
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

The descriptions I heed make it appear attractive. Unfortunately certain other duties withhold me from playing it.

EDIT: ...considering it may be addictive indeed.
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

Handler of candles Member Xehh II's Avatar

This game is awsome I have to buy it when I get the money.
    A ha ha! Rainbows and unicorns! Rainbows and unicorns!