Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: total war 3????

WW1 would be good but the maps would have to be huge and troop numbers very high.
    It was a 1v1 type campaign though and not Total War's multi faction type stuff.

They could cover any era and I think well all be happy as long as they keep making the forward steps on the gameplay side.

They could do lots of things to make it better, but will we buy a revamped MTW that was say 4 times as good as current version coming out?

My vision for the future is where each person controls one man in these very large battles in massive on-line participation.
    You would have the most succesful person as your leader doing the strategy, then if a battle was to be thought it would be announced to start at a certain time.
    Everyone who wanted to participate would connect up and get ready for battle.
    If someone dosn't connect up in time then the AI would control that person.
    If you died then you would take the next available troop spot either newly created or current(that no one else has).
    If you survive and gain enough kills etc.. you become unit leader and eventually leader of your clan and take strategic control. Do you then risk going into battle yourself to keep ahead of other players or stay out of it and hope no one gets higher than you?

We would all have headsets but could only talk to those within distance etc..
    Imagine the chaos, imagine the realism of battle then!

Your mate has just been cut down by one of enemy, do you fight the man in front or do you get revenge and go after your mates killer with your axe?

kortharig werkschuw tuig Member the Count of Flanders's Avatar

just a few ideas for future total war games (originally posted at the .com by myself and Shawn Rowlands):
    Baywatch:Total War
    Spinning off from the (once) popular series you control scarcely-dressed lifeguards that declare total war on sharks, jellyfish and people that litter on the beach. Just like the series the story will be crap but the graphics will be improved to display the female lifeguards in full glory. The only marching speed will be "running" to ensure maximum character animation enjoyment. Special characters include Pamela Anderson and Carmen Electra. I just know this one will be a record-breaker!
    I hope Baywatch Total War comes out. I can't wait to play David Hasselhoff. Creative Assembly could do a whole line of 80s TV shows using the Total War engine. For example: The A-Team Total War. One side would have the A-Team (Hannibal, Face, B.A. Baracus & Murdoch), each would be the equivalent of an STW kensai and, as a group, they could have the ability to construct vehicles out of whatever is lying around. The other side would be mercenaries, terrorists, drug dealers, jellyfish etc. In the true spirit of the show, there would be absolutely no battlefield casualties. Instead battles would occur like this: Bad Guys shot at the A-Team . . . Hannibal throws a grenade . . . Bad Guys drop guns and run, crap explosion, end of episode

I suggest no Battle using Moderm weapon since it'll ruin the game... i like sword, arrows etc. not a semi automatic crap or bazooka or rocket.

The problem witn modern weapons is scale and range, it's why WW2 flight sims are better 'games' than superfighters that can kill from 9 miles off.

Never laugh at the old when they offer counsel,
    Often their words are wise:
    From shriveled skin, from scraggy things

That hand among the hides
    And move amid the guts,
    Clear words often come.

http://asatru.org/havamal.html

I would be very interested in an Antique: Total war.
    From the campaign of Ramses the great to the invasion of the men of Attila against the roman empire, through the battle of troie, the campaign of alexandre the great, the punics war, etc.... !
    A huge period but nothing really changed during it in a matter of war !
    We would see new units, like war elephant, war chariots, new formations specifics to one country like the roman tortoise, like the greek phalanx or the heavy skirmich barbarian cavalry etc....

Roumata d'Elthor

Mongols only get mentioned in add ons. I would like to see Mongol Total War with the chance to recreate the greatest continuous land empire the world has known.
    The Mongols get a raw deal in history as it is usually told by those who were on the receiving end. Their warfare was years ahead of its time and lets not forget it was the Mongols who opened up the trade routes between west and east.
    Mongols the well trained military machine not a bunch of plunderers.
    The idea of joining STW/MI and MTW sounds good too and could possibly allow the same option.
    .........Orda

------------------
    " Send us your ambassadors and thus we shall judge whether you wish to be at peace with us or at war..if you make war on us the Everlasting God, who makes easy what was difficult and makes near what was far, knows that we know what our power is."

Rome eh. Spaning a thousand years. And all the barbarian tribespeople. The britons to the gauls to the germans. Who else, the egyptians, greeks, persians, people from the middle east, Atilla, carthage, and many others. That would be quite an impressive game. I still say Dark Ages: Total War.

How many more posts before I am samuri?

[This message has been edited by Stephen Hummell (edited 06-26-2002).]

Of all the good (and not so good) ideas, only those seem actually a possibility to me:
    Either Antique(Greece, Persia, Rome, Karthago) + Dark Age Total War or American Cicil War.

Another good one that I think nobody mentioned so far:

Napoleon Total War: Lots of grand politics, strategy, gunbattles, bayonets, cavalry etc.

Sorry guys, but WWI is impossible with the TW engine.

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

actually, wwI is very do-able. squad sized infantry, horse drawn artillery, they still used some actual horse cav, balloons, small in frequent slow aircraft that were little more than scouts at first, bayonet charges were still used, water cooled heavy machine guns...this stuff is all within the abilities of the tw engine. realistically, i doubt it will be the next choice.

i also doubt that rome will be next either. this is why i said mediterranean: total war. that would include all the factions around the med, including the north african nations, middle east, greek, roman and so on. this would be set back in the days of oar ships and no gun powder.

the civil war works also, because even though you had guns, they were still essentially muskets. field artillery was horse-drawn, horse cav was still viable, mortars, balloons for observation, formation fighting...it works.

but if you dont like civil war, you could do revolutionary war and go a bit earlier, or even go a bit earlier and do colonial: total war, the conquest of the new world. that one has lots of possibilities.

but i tend to believe that those seeking more ancient periods will win out, given the history of tw. and yes, whoever said mongol: tw and asia: tw, those would certainly work.

K.

------------------
    The only absolute is that there are no absolutes.

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar

Quote Originally posted by Orda Khan:
    The Mongols get a raw deal in history as it is usually told by those who were on the receiving end.
    [/QUOTE]

For does the sacred text not say 'History is written by the victors...'

Anyhows, my vote goes for the Diadochi, for those who don't know, the Succesor Kingdoms of Alexander's "Empire". Balanced factions, with significant differences, huge numbers of troop types and horse archers for those who need their fix, massive geographical range, the possibility of including rome before it's legions were uber warriors.

Anything post Napoleonic has i'm afraid very little interest from my point ofview, nor do i want to be zapping people with laser guns. That sort of combat IMo can be done better elsewhere.

------------------
    Timeo hominem unius libri
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra

how about a game like empire earth, where u can advance through the ages, starting from cave men where ur men would be unorganised and not very disiplined to world war 2 maybe

that would take years to make.

civil war- they used muskets up until the later years of the war when the union used breached loaders. Which could pop out 10 shots a minute or more. Plus the game would only be around a couple years or more. So before an after the war would be better. The battles would be huge though. And alot of troops! It would be a sweet game though.

American Civil War has only few types of soldiers and weapons. This will be a step down from MTW. Plus it would be very short.

------------------
    I am the law and you can't beat the law.
    I am the law and you can't beat the law.

...plus nobody outside the US would be interested.

I would be interested in U.S. civil war if only it tells us what position the U.S. would be in today if the Confeds won!
    Would it be any different?

Civil War, WW1 etc.. are 1v1. Soon as you got the upperhand, game over.
    Maybe good to replay some of the battles though using Total War Engine and might be a good add-on pack idea.

the lack of different units is really the thing as weel as the lack of different factions. also civil war is very 'story driven' it's only interseting because things happened the way they did.
    ina game you would deviate so quickly that you'd lose all realtion to the real war.

------------------
    Hirosito Mori

Gentile or Jew
    O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
    Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
    Hirosito Mori

Hirosito the Baptist of the Babbiest Babe Thread.

Gentile or Jew
    O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
    Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

What about Fantasy Game like the Warhammer?
    The greatest thrill in life is not to Kill' but to let live!

that would kick ass, I'm a Warhammer fan. Too bad GW is VERY carefull about giving licenses to make warhammer-related games.

There's a Warhammer MMOG in development now so its seems unlikely they'd spill the license.

A fantasy Total War would be fun though - albeit i can see magic simply replacing gunpowder and artillery as everybodies pet hate!

I think there's a lot of life left in ancient eras yet: Greeks, Trojans, Romans, Alexandre (Macedonians), Dark Ages... though i can also see the franchise reaching as far as Napoleonic Wars.

ECW (English Civil War) would actually be quite a good one also but like the ACW (American Divil War) it might be a bit low on the "global interest" stakes - mind you, who would have thought Shogun would have been such a success? UP till then if you said "Koku" most people thought you'd gone lala and returned to childhood noises or senile dementia.

Good engines. good gameplay etc can overcome any apparent limitation in "realism or story".
    morsus mihi

The question is at what point will the game be so moddable that we can make all these things by ourselves? Be interesting to see where the glass ceilings are in MTW.

And move amid the guts,
    Clear words often come.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DrNo:
    I would be interested in U.S. civil war if only it tells us what position the U.S. would be in today if the Confeds won!
    Would it be any different?

We would have a bunch of hicks running the country. We'd also have Mexico and Canada by now too.

[This message has been edited by Stephen Hummell (edited 06-27-2002).]

Fantasy game? No it has to be a historical game to keep the series going

Yeah, the only difference in the ACW would be different uniforms.

[This message has been edited by Stephen Hummell (edited 06-27-2002).]

Quote Originally posted by Stephen Hummell:
    We would have a bunch of hicks running the country.[/QUOTE]
    MUST...RESIST...URGE...TO...MAKE...SARCASTIC...REMARK
    PHEW
    Anyways, I think Warhammer FB would work out great: all the units have already been balanced. Only thing that would cause some trouble is the different rulesets, I mean both Warhammer and Total War have a really good rule set for wargames, which one should you use? I would prefer the Warhammer one because it's probably more balanced although it has more randomness in it.

[This message has been edited by the Count of Flanders (edited 06-27-2002).]

What am I saying, we already have a bunch of hicks running the country.

George Bush: Total War

I've just heard that someone has acquired the licience for He-Man from Mattel for a Computer game. I live in hope.

And move amid the guts,
    Clear words often come.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

NTW: Neanderthal Total War. Primative weapons, beginnings of language, the wheel, original beer, massive conflicts with Cro-magnons; the fossil/artifactual record is so sketchy, developers could create their own world, without anyone saying: "Hey, that's not accurate!".
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Senior Member Senior Member Sir Kuma of The Org's Avatar

Quote Originally posted by Stephen Hummell:
    What am I saying, we already have a bunch of hicks running the country.[/QUOTE]

Wrong forum, this belongs in OT

------------------
    La vie est un don.
    What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

With MTW coming out and the unit files. It would not be difficult to modify the stats to very disciplined Hopilite Formations to slingers, to archers, etc. The only trouble I see is the creation of a chariot sprite file.

Not a conceptually difficult Mod if the first experimental version is limited to half a dozen units. The online version might be easier to create and hence balance the units for a SP version.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast