Thread: Crash at Title Screen

Default Crash at Title Screen

I recently downloaded the latest version of EB as of posting time, over an unmodded RTW:Gold. When I run the game, it reaches the Title Screen (with the map background), delays about 1-2 minutes, and finally crashes and closes. I apologize if I left out any necessary information. Any possible ideas for a cause?

Default Re: Crash at Title Screen

What has happened that such a lot of these cases suddenly crop up? You're the third one this week, and there has been nothing like it for months... Anyway.

How much RAM do you have? Have you installed the latest graphics drivers? Does vanilla RTW work?

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Coughpatch1.6cough
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

I have 512 megs of RAM and Vanilla works fine, albeit at medium settings. I wouldn't expect the difference in spec requirements to be so drastic that it would go from playable at medium settings to crash-at-title-screen.

You have too little memory to play EB with stability. The increase in requirements is drastic, as we are pushing every limit of the engine.

However, you may be able to play, slowly, if you increase the size of your page file. You can adjust this in Control Panel => System => Advanced => Performance => Advanced => Virtual Memory. Set custom size, and at least 1.5 GB on any of your disks.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

It seems odd that the game would crash at the Title Screen each time. How much memory could the next screen (presumably a menu screen) possibly occupy? We're not even talking the game map or battles, here.

If it's the first time you are playing then it is possibly generating some db files. It tries to do that, but if the files are present already they may not need it. A lot has to be done though in that initial startup - EDB (which is freaking huge) is analyzed, as are name files (also huge relatively). That's why messing up those files will cause CTD's before the game even starts up.

I have a 1.6 Ghz Mobile Celeron processor and crappy integrated graphics. If I were to bump up my RAM to dual channeled 2 x 512 MB, what would be my likelihood of being able to play the game?

Seems more parts of your rig are sub-par. More RAM should make you able to play, but the others would mean the performance would be terrible. Anyway, please try to increase your page file using the tool I mentioned, it will simulate more RAM and should work, at a crawl's pace.

================
    ================