Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What game/company are you most annoyed

Could be your God Member Abokasee's Avatar

Default What game/company are you most annoyed

What game are you most annoyed with, or game company,

EA

HOW DARE THEY EXTEND SPORES REALEASE DATE TO 2008!!!

Lion Head

No Online play for B&W2, hmmm, No online for B&W2 BOTGs, Outragous
    Now with transparent layers!

Lost on the Internet? Go back to start.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Default Re: What game/company are you most annoyed

Hmm. My least favourite company/publisher has to be EA. I detest their guts.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

The Ultimate Grand Inquisitor! Member UltraWar's Avatar

I really hate LucasArts because of the amount of Star Wars games and merchandise they keep releasing.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abokasee
    What game are you most annoyed with, or game company,

EA

HOW DARE THEY EXTEND SPORES REALEASE DATE TO 2008!!!

Lion Head

No Online play for B&W2, hmmm, No online for B&W2 BOTGs, Outragous
    You're quite rightly annoyed with EA but for all the wrong reasons.

1) It was Will Wright's decision to push back the release date on Spore. EA as the publisher were the one's who announced it. For once they realise that this is potentially a game made of pure win if it is done right, so they're letting him have as much time as he wants.

As i've said in the past, get off your high horse with your hate of EA when it comes to the Spore release date. Check your facts.

2) There are valid reasons for no online play with BW2, which i remember reading on their forums a month or so after release - they said they had made a multiplayer mode, but it was laggier than hell even on a high-speed connection on account of the graphics and the physics and all the other things that make it look good. There was no way of optimising it.

Anyway, i'm currently annoyed at EA for the valid reason of their paranoia. They put ridiculous copy-protection on Battlefield 2142, so that it wouldn't run on my PC. It kept asking to insert the disc. After a week of being frustrated trying everything i could, i gave up and sold it to a friend for the stupid price of £6. Now he has the same problems. Not to mention that stats are a bit borked on BF2 right now, and have been for weeks, with no attempt to fix them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

EA deserves to be lynched for their handling BF2 alone...
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

Vote:EA

Seriously, the company that annoys me the most is Rockstar, insisting on a long wait between the release of a GTA game on Playstation, and the release on PC.
    Last edited by Warmaster Horus; 07-07-2007 at 14:30.
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

Post Re: What game/company are you most annoyed

Sierra. Probably a very trivial reason, but they refuse to offer support to those trying to run games released prior to the post-BETA release of Vista. Terrible if these games are almost impossible to run completely stably on the majority of days. When I tried to contact them regarding the issues, I received an automated message telling me to politely get lost.

Other than that annoyance, I have never had any problems with gaming companies really. Of course there are across the board issues, not releasing a game even though they have it polished to perfection, creating patches which create more bugs than they successfully fix etc. However, almost all companies do it and it is impossible to go through every one in existence.
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 07-07-2007 at 21:46.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Bethesda.

For making millions of poor misguided souls believe that slapping the "RPG" label on a FPS magically somehow makes it a RPG.

For having one of the absolute worst PR/marketing divisions in the known universe. The amount of garbage, spin, and blatant lies they spew would make the most unscrupulous used car salesman blush.

Which reminds me, I still haven't posted in the PC Gaming is Dying thread yet.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Ah, but perhaps you must "make" it in a role playing game. They give you a sandbox, you build the castle. Find a role to play (pure Breton mage, brute orc, Daedra worshipper, etc.) and play it.
    And how about Ion Storm, then? The guys who made Deus Ex?
    I can't say anything about the marketing dep, though.
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

Quote Originally Posted by Whacker
    Bethesda.

For making millions of poor misguided souls believe that slapping the "RPG" label on a FPS magically somehow makes it a RPG.

For having one of the absolute worst PR/marketing divisions in the known universe. The amount of garbage, spin, and blatant lies they spew would make the most unscrupulous used car salesman blush.

Which reminds me, I still haven't posted in the PC Gaming is Dying thread yet.

So the fact that it has no guns at all. Almost no shooting. Some magically makes TES an FPS?? And the fact that you gain levels, choose skills and get better at them, choose classes, upgrade armour and weapons, go on quests, and gather loot. Magically discounts TES from being an RPG?

You sir are narrow minded on what makes a game an FPS or RPG. You seem to be basing this whole TES (and FO3) is an FPS and not an RPG on the fact that it can be played in first person. I'll chalk this up to [your disappointment] about Fallout 3 being based on the Oblivion engine.

EDIT: Tact. It's never an over-rated resource. Froggy.
    Last edited by frogbeastegg; 07-11-2007 at 18:32.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

It is not necessarily annoyance but I would heavily criticize some companies for certain decisions.

- LucasArts for not providing a refined control scheme in the KotOR series. Some may recall a very old thread I made here regarding the use of a Jedi Knight-like scheme in the series. It would bring forth a splendid RPG that eliminates the dull battles.

- R* for constantly milking their cash cows (mainly GTA) with as little effort as possible in significant improvement. Their stories, styles, actors, overall presentation qualities are good, however. It is simply becoming more boring and "too much of the same", so I would probably not play GTA unless I am really bored and I have received it for free. There is, however, a slight probability I would like the new GTA (specially considering I have not played any GTA in a long time).

- Electronic Arts. Especially their sports games are a nuisance for they are hardly anything special.
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

- LucasArts for not providing a refined control scheme in the KotOR series. Some may recall a very old thread I made here regarding the use of a Jedi Knight-like scheme in the series. It would bring forth a splendid RPG that eliminates the dull battles.
    You might like The Force Unleashed that's gonna come out eventually.
    Check out the Gahzette!

Back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bijo
    It is not necessarily annoyance but I would heavily criticize some companies for certain decisions.

KOTOR's controls were designed for a controller. Handles like a dream on the Xbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Warmaster Horus
    You might like The Force Unleashed that's gonna come out eventually.
    Whose controls will also be designed for a controller.....
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Those companies which doesnt send games here.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

(
    Hmmmm. Perhaps I should have been clearer. The problem I wished to refer to lies more in the gameplay of battles. KotOR's battles are more static than dynamic, while Jedi Knight's vice versa which is what makes its battles so great and intense. (One actually has "proper control.")

JK's battle nature + KotOR's RPG nature --> beautitul powerful combination

Jedi Knight series was also released on Xbox and the battles were the same as the PC's and its nature was dynamic as on the PC, therefore its control scheme and battle nature should be possible and applicable even if KotOR is originally for the Xbox.

The same should apply to The Force Unleashed (which must be released for PC too).

I recall a SW: TFU clip whose game content -- display of foes being engaged by Jedi -- appeared very dynamic. It would minimally suggest TFU to have some sort of dynamic nature (and quite possibly dynamic battle controls), but I know little of this new game. There isn't much detailed information available (I think).
    )

Another company I would heavily criticize is SEGA mainly for their past inability to effectively engage Nintendo and other console companies. They were somehow outmaneuvered by them which is a pity.

Furthermore I would criticize SEGA regarding M2TW.
    Last edited by Bijo; 07-07-2007 at 19:38.

---

No.

---

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Bethesda: For ultimately dealing the death knell to Fallout fans.

LucasArts: For not giving us a sequel or a remake of TIE Fighter in recent years (and no, Jedi Starfighter doesn't count).

Rockstar: For being bullied by the MSRP, Sony, and Nintendo. They should leave Manhunt 2 the way it is (AO rating)and release it as an online order only, the way Singles was, and pimp the heck out of it on commercials.

Nintendo: For releasing even more tech demos for the Wiimote instead of actual games.

Sony: PS3. I don't think there needs to be anything more to be said. Blu-Ray? No-Way.

Eidos: For making YET ANOTHER Lara Croft game instead of extending the gametime of the supremely-better Battlestations: Midway.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

EA. They have games with such great potential, yet they insit on selling out and killing the games off.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

I don't know, if a company makes a bad game I can save money, so I don't know why I should be annoyed.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

@ Bijo: Are you talking about KOTOR controls on the PC? Mate I thought that was outstanding, and I played it both on PC and xbrick. That game stands out in my mind as one of the best examples ever of how to do a port CORRECTLY between platforms.

@ Kek: Here here on a TIE Fighter sequel!

[Snip. A little respect for other's opinions, if you please - froggy]
    Last edited by frogbeastegg; 07-08-2007 at 12:17.

that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Some good mentions already. But, I'd like to give some hate to Valve- for generally making decent games with copy protection so obnoxious that I don't want to play them anymore.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou
    for generally making decent games with copy protection so obnoxious that I don't want to play them anymore.
    Gods, thought I was one voice in the darkness! I also resent having to "ask permission" every time I want to patch or play the game (single player, multi I'm fine with key checking), Steam is a giant (CENSORED). And I'm really, really sick and tired of hearing all the whining about "But it's got offline mode!", which in of itself is a royal pain to set up and isn't a real fix for the problem.

Decent games, decent idea, horrible implementation.

that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

@ Kek: Here here on a TIE Fighter sequel!
    I miss the old days of playing in an online Imperial alliance/guild with X-Wing VS TIE Fighter.
    X-Wing Alliance also makes me yearn for the days of delicious space combat sims.

@ Bijo: Are you talking about KOTOR controls on the PC? Mate I thought that was outstanding, and I played it both on PC and xbrick. That game stands out in my mind as one of the best examples ever of how to do a port CORRECTLY between platforms.
    The KotOR PC controls are indeed outstanding, and so is the nature of its battles. But my point is not necessarily the "pure controls" regarding keyboards, mice, joypads, and their conversions, etc.; it's that the battles are too "static" in nature, while JK's is dynamic.

Another way of explanation is that KotOR's battles largely emphasize HPs, careful preselection of weapons/powers, boring mouse-clicking, idle activity by the user, little input, hardly any maneuvering, no detailed control, etc. It tends to be more static (which doesn't mean it's bad).

JK's battles are more "action-based" where you have more detailed control as you can pull off beautiful moves, combos, taunts, wall jumps, wall runs, aim your weapon, force-choke an enemy while you use him as shield against blasters as you seek cover, etc., etc. This dynamic nature allows -- or at least should allow -- more gratification as you actually "must sweat" in battle.

Then the point is to mix KotOR's RPG elements and the dynamics of JK's battles to bring about a powerful combination and balance. Perhaps the player is given a choice before game start to choose between the old-style KotOR battle nature and controls, or "JK's action-based" battles.

I hope my point is clear.

Valve is good, but like some others I also dislike Steam. When I buy a game it is to be installed and played without hassle... and perhaps it is possible with Steam, but still... If I install HL2 now I probably must first update the whole game which takes much time.

But I must admit that for its purposes Steam at least appears effective and efficient.

---

No.

---

I'm afraid i've jumped on the 'lol steam suks' bandwagon in recent months - despite countless installations and fixes and such, it won't work on my PC. I try to log in and it just gives me some stupid "error connecting to steam network" message.

I PAYED £30 FOR ALL THOSE GAMES, AND I EXPECT TO BE ABLE TO PLAY THEM.
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Wow, so many posts and not even 1 mention of Ubisoft yet...? And that for the company that up Rainbow 6 AND up Ghost Recon!!!
    Though of course they also did some good things... who else would have the guts to release a submarine simulation I guess .

The same goes for most other companies I think, they up on some but also create good stuff!

"You have the insanity... of a manatee."

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Sierra - For destroying Origin, one of the best game developers ever.
    Interplay - Responsible for the vast majority of all of my favorite games. Yet they somehow screwed it all up and destroyed themselves and several subsidiary developers as well.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Blizzard....I HATE WORLD OF WARCRAFT Also, I would really like Diablo 3 and Warcraft 4.

EA: Why let a petty deal with another company stop you from running stats in BF2.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen
    Blizzard....I HATE WORLD OF WARCRAFT
    A resounding seconded.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

EA, really crossed the line with ingame advertising. And Shiny, I want Sacrifice 2, and I want it NOW. But what do I get? Why don't they listen?

Ooh, ooh, i remembered another. Vivendi Universal, for ruining the Tribes series. Some of the more uber hardcore players say that Tribes 2 ruined it anyway (i was one of the uber hardcore players, and i say T2 was great), but Tribes: Vengeance completely killed the series. Sure, single player was good fun, but the Tribes series has never been about single player. Because of all the effort they put into single player, multiplayer was to be quite frank, garbage. It was UT2004 with jetpacks and broken weapons. If i wanted UT2004 with jetpacks and broken weapons, i wouldn't have bought a Tribes game. I'd have bought UT2004 and made a mod for it.

They killed the community and put the nail in the coffin by constantly taking the forums offline for 'maintainence' (a VUG byword for '**** off we don't want to hear your complaints') and ultimately by never releasing a patch for the game, a patch that could have saved multiplayer. Instead, the game wasn't profitable enough and didn't warrant such a costly patch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast