Thread: Highlight own troops, enemy & allies !!

Default Highlight own troops, enemy & allies !!

Hi everyone

I have played a few campaigns as the English and Danes on M2TW and last night noticed something for the first time.

When in battle I accidently clicked on my faction symbol which is between the formation and actions options. Suddenly all the units were highlighted on the battlefield with different colours for my own troops, enemy and allies.

I hadn't realised when you pass your cursor over the faction symbol that it said it does that. I had just assumed it was giving information on the formation and action options as I was passing over them.

I hope I'm not the only one who had missed this?

Default Re: Highlight own troops, enemy & allies !!

Oh, I also finished quite a few campaigns before noticing this, though I don't think it's that useful anyway

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

king of my kingdom Member DVX BELLORVM's Avatar

I think this feature is introduced with the 1.2 patch.

BTW, is there a keyboard shortcut for this? I'm using a minimalistic UI, and don't have the faction flag icon...

No, this was already present in the demo, and I find it very convenient, since in very stationary battles (when I or the enemy holds the line and hardly moves from his position) it can be very difficult to differentiate the living from the dead.

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DVX BELLORVM
    I think this feature is introduced with the 1.2 patch.

BTW, is there a keyboard shortcut for this? I'm using a minimalistic UI, and don't have the faction flag icon...
    I don't think so, it's one of the things I grieve, too.

king of my kingdom Member DVX BELLORVM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran
    No, this was already present in the demo, and I find it very convenient, since in very stationary battles (when I or the enemy holds the line and hardly moves from his position) it can be very difficult to differentiate the living from the dead.
    You're right, it was present before 1.2. I guess I've mistaken it for some other feature introduced with the patch.

LMAO I never noticed this.
    Posted by John_Longarrow
    Plus there is just something fricking cool about fricking elephants with fricking cannons on their heads.

For me, its only useful when at the end of a battle and I am looking on the remaining "red" men to concentrate all my remaining forces on.
    Work, Girlfriend, Responsibilities, Reality, Kids, and MTW - all things in life make life worth living.

Edit October 17th, 2007
    Work-Still hate it but I appreciate having it more now.
    Girlfriend - ? - looks like I am helping Nga now. Miss sex though.
    Responsibilities, Too many bills to too little money
    Reality - (Censored)
    Kids - My son is improving a little bit each day, still far behind but I may have more kids in the future.
    MTW - Kingdoms installed but...Urggg, too soon.
    ----------------
    Conclusion, Life is worth Living now.

I find this very useful on larger battles where it just gives me a great idea of how my troops are holding up. Especially in infantry heavy fights, where you are usually trying maintain the line in order to flank with cavalry/archers etc.

And yes, I missed this one for a while too =)

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

its also usefull when its dark or foggy on the battlefield

Quote Originally Posted by YAKOBU
    Hi everyone

I have played a few campaigns as the English and Danes on M2TW and last night noticed something for the first time.

When in battle I accidently clicked on my faction symbol which is between the formation and actions options. Suddenly all the units were highlighted on the battlefield with different colours for my own troops, enemy and allies.

I hadn't realised when you pass your cursor over the faction symbol that it said it does that. I had just assumed it was giving information on the formation and action options as I was passing over them.

I hope I'm not the only one who had missed this?

It's great until it stops working for some reason! No more green highlights of units when you click on them and that button no longer works either - wish I knew what did it and how to fix it! Grrr!

It took me a while to notice that too.

Very useful when fighting large battles, at night, in fog, on a heavely wooded map.

A few days ago I was fighting a battle involving a duel between my three ballista’s verses the enemies three catapults and two trebuchets. I kept loosing.
    Then I realised if I targeted the siege engines, rather than the men operating them, their engines were soon destroyed leaving my ballista’s safe to pick off the crew later. I was able to win this duel with only a few losses.

It just goes to show that even the oldest war dogs, have a few tricks left to learn.

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

Yep, it doesn't seem THAT useful until you fight in huge battles or in forests in which it is almost impossible to distinguish which troops are yours, the enemiy's, or dead without that button. Makes your like a whole lot easier
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton