Thread: riduculously unhistorical units! (but still fun!)

Ashigaru crossbowmen!! cross bows were not used since the 900s!! Japan had no army at this time either all they had were samurai in little boats who led raids against the mongel ships!! Mongels with grenades another far fetched unit! what is a sword saint!? yari were also not really used during this period!

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

hmm....you're a little late in this tipic of discussion, Seppu, but here is a quick rundown, as best I can remember:

1. Ashi-crossbow; yeah, you've got a bit of a point. They were brought into replace the musketeers, most likely.
    2. Mongolian (actually Korean levies) "bombers" are historically correct, read up on the Mongol invasion(s) and you might find a picture/drawing from that time period.
    3. Sword saints are powerful individuals, they were not actually divine beings, just really good swordsmen. The context in which they're being used is a bit awkward, but I think it's STW's attempt to make things a bit more RPG.
    4. Maybe not actually a yari, but spears were used by foot soldiers of the time.

Sideswipe feature king Member shingenmitch2's Avatar

The trend toward RPG in anything other than the purley "strategic board" is a terrible mistake. This game lives on the fact that it is accurate and battle tactics are the closest any game has come to recreating the real thing. More units/different combos is one thing but adding in silly "fantasy" units to satisfy the 9yr olds will turn this game into all those other sad computer games. This game and the board game SHOGUN from which it was modeled were strategy games - ala chess -and should not try to be something it isn't for then it will do neither the RPG thing good nor the strategy thing good.
    Retreat? Hell, we're just attacking in a different direction...

THE DEADLY SHINGEN

Recent discussion of these units: http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000149.html

I have a reference from the 11th Century 'Mutsu Waki' war chronicle that mentions Oyumi crossbow artillery during the Former Nine Year War (1051-62). They're not mentioned in the 12th Century Heike Monogatari chronicle, 13th Century Mongol Invasion Scroll or 14th Century Taiheiki chronicle so they can't have been used after the 11th Century (sorry The Daimyo...). Even if they were they are totally different to the hand-held 'ashigaru x-bow'.

Spears of any sort are not mentioned or illustrated until the 14th Century 'War Between the Courts' when they were found useful for mountain fighting etc. Only samurai polearms illustrated in the Mongol Invasion Scroll are naginata - plus a strange grappling hook thingie called a 'kumade'.

Exploding bombs are clearly shown in the Mongol scroll but it is not clear whether they were hurled by crude, short range trebuchet or thrown by hand so STW has the benefit of the doubt there

nobody talks about the horsebackcarried cannons. we could use those too.

after some years in totalwar 3 we have a list of about 100 different medieval time units ....
    i cvan hardly wait
    Clan Wolves: 10 years in Total War
    visit us at wolves.magyarkhan.org
    and youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ClanWolves
    and watch a Creative Assembly employee struggle in battle....

.... and don't forget the lates units!!

Mongolian Misiler launcher
    Chinese Flame thrower
    Ashigaru Parachutist
    Samurai Bazooker

Let's face it: STW is NOW a game with 100% historical accuracy. It is more a game loosely BASED on a historical period but with a lot of variations, modifications, twists, etc.

It is a piry that the historical accuracy is lost but I hope at least the upcoming units will be well-baolanced and we will be free of the scourge of "Super Units" I have seen in many other games

Choco you forgot the flying sumo wrestlers with X ray vision, the geisha's don't stand a chance (even if they do dance quite well).

I like the idea of a Sword Saint in the game,maybe its not soo his acu but i think it will be fun!
    i don't think thay will be too powerful,how many heads one man can take? 20-30
    i had a SS once in STW,it was a rank 6 Genral,ND honor 12! with LA LM LW he killed 30 man i one battel and died gloriosly.

but the Bombers is just too much!

Goblin Cavalery anyone?

------------------
    "A WISE MAN ONCE SAID,LETS KICK THAIR ASS!"
    "A WISE MAN ONCE SAID,LETS KICK THAIR ASS!"