Poll: What do you think Sega and its little pixies next TW game will be?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible New TW games

Could be your God Member Abokasee's Avatar

Default Possible New TW games

I know that this is going to be some time in the future, and that Sega and its all little pixies Have no plans at the moment, but what possibles are there?

Personally I'd like a WW1 TW ,

How would that work?

Well campain works more or less simular, but battle changes are quite large

Instead having to attack when you tell your army to do so, you can alternatively tell them to entrench there position, (If you have artillary and enemy are entrencing then they would lose some troops) the longer you decide to entrench, the more fortified your position becomes, until you give the order to attack, then they will jump out of your little trenches and go attack (of course you can order them around)

How ever Sega proberly has other ideas, I personally hope they don't go and do WW2 since its over used
    Now with transparent layers!

Lost on the Internet? Go back to start.

Dispensing plasmids one bacteria at a time...

Default Re: Possible New TW games

A good WWI game would be nice. There are some good mods for HOI2, for instance, but so far--to the best of my limited knowledge--there is not a stand-alone game directly for WWI. I'd be psyched to hear about one. Although I don't know how the traditional TW engine/style would work with a trench warfare, static lines and machine gun oriented game. It'd be interesting.

Vote +1
    "Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?"

--Fry, Futurama, the show that does not advocate the cool crime of robbery

blaaaaaaaaaarg! Senior Member Lusted's Avatar

Surely you mean what TW game will the Creative Assembly make next, not SEGA as SEGA do not make the games.

I think they will make a rome total war 2 and sega pays for the game and final decision is theirs if they don't like the idea the game doesn't get fiananced
    "I should like to see any power of the world destroy this race, this small tribe of unimportant people, whose history is ended, whose wars have been fought and lost, whose structures have crumbled, whose literature is unread, whose prayers are no longer answered.... For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia!

William Saroyan, 1935.

High kings of the Mountains: A Hayasdan AAR

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

Meh, Sega is out for money, and they know Total War games sell. So, they would support CA in the next game.

Me, I hope for RTW2. WW1, I think, would not be their highest priority, because it is supposed to be a strategy game, and strategy wasn't very important in WW1 (at least, from what I understand of it). I mean, from what I learned, most of what they did was just signal the charge, and lead the men into bloodbaths...

WW2 is over used, but that's mainly FPS/RTS games, not Total War game style (campaign and battle modes).

BTW, isn't there the same kind of thread, about 5 threads down?
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

It wont be world war game you can be sure of that, that niche is already well filled and CA have seen they can make money from their underpopulated genre.

Id bet rometotalwar 2 or perhaps a bold move into the gunpowder eras but not sure which.

Personally id like to see shogun 2 but i really dont think theres enough units there now for a totalwar game!

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

A WWI TW would be interesting. I anticipate a S2TW.

EDIT: but cogitation estimates NTW.
    Last edited by Bijo; 06-30-2007 at 22:35.
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

napoleonic is the most likely because they haven't done that yet and while I would love a world war 1 strategy game I don't think the total war engine would be good for it. Oh yeah, and I was just curious If you read my post about starting a poll about this or whether you came up with the idea on your own.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by woad&fangs
    napoleonic is the most likely because they haven't done that yet (...)
    This does not compute.

---

No.

---

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

Its too soon for another rome and CA obvioulsly thought that medieval was better for a remake then shogun so I doubt they'll do a shogun 2

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely

Napoleonic Total War all the way!...of course, it wouldn't be nearly as interesting as Polish War of Succession Total War....

All Hail King Jan Sobieski!

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King Jan III Sobieski
    Napoleonic Total War all the way!
    I don't think so -- you can't do Napoleonic war without some serious ships going at it. How can you have Napoleonic Total War without Trafalgar? I love the TW games, but they're more about land-based conquest. How about China Total War? The Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms period would fit the bill ...

Ship battles will probably be one of the major upgrades that CA makes to the game no matter what scenario the new game will be in.

Keeper of the Pax Romanum Member TruePraetorian's Avatar

Ship battles will probably be one of the major upgrades that CA makes to the game no matter what scenario the new game will be in.
    i completley agree, no matter what the next game is. they know some sort of naval action would bring in alot more money do to the demand of it from games such as MTW, RTW, and MTW2. And I dont think the WW games could ever be succesful..but thats my opinion
    The Gods envy us.

They envy us because we are mortal, because any moment might be our last.
    Everything is more beautiful because we are doomed.
    You will never be lovlier than you are now.

We will never be here again.

Its too soon for another rome and CA obvioulsly thought that medieval was better for a remake then shogun so I doubt they'll do a shogun 2
    It still does not compute. How remarkable a speculation it may be, it does not tell truth.

---

No.

---

Wink Re: Possible New TW games

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    I don't think so -- you can't do Napoleonic war without some serious ships going at it. How can you have Napoleonic Total War without Trafalgar? I love the TW games, but they're more about land-based conquest. How about China Total War? The Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms period would fit the bill ...

i think this would be cool and maybe even add some nations outside of china on the edges that the player could easily role play with of the nation wanting to take China over while it's distracted by civil war (for those who enjoy roleplaying or perhaps want a nation besides China)

Member Member Chaos Cornelius lucius's Avatar
    Off in the woods with my longbow wondering where my arrow went...

Personally I would prefer an Asian/Far East total war game, as people have proposed in the other thread in this forum.
    If you include China, India and all the Islands of the Indonesian archipelago, you would have a wide area of map to play on, and many different factions and units to choose from.(polynesian war canoes anyone?).
    I think that controllable naval battles would be a welcome addition too. And for gods sake an improved AI please

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

I would really like to see a new Shogun, but it's unlikely since they now have a choice between doing STW or RTW again. Rome 2 would be more popular, therefore it would make more cash, so CA () would probably go for RTW2...
    Last edited by TosaInu; 07-04-2007 at 09:12.
    I need scissors! 61!!

Or perhaps a game based around the time of the huge Muslim expansions 700 - 900 AD. A map with more emphasis on the middle east and even india could be included but of course you would still need to be able to invade Spain and refight the battles in France. It would be similar to MTW but instead of the main focus being on the Christian nations (which were very disunited at this time) it would be on the Muslims.
    Old warriors know more tricks!

I'd like to see a game that isn't centred on Europe, given that 3 of CA's 4 TW games have been (x-packs not included). I think something covering Asia would make an interesting change.

Oza the Sly: Vandal Invasion Member Braden's Avatar

I voted "GAHH" as with Med2 I've lost all faith in CA and SEGA to produce an engaging RTS game that I'd like, yes, I bought M2 but played it twice (as in two sessions...not full games), hated every moment of it, couldnt get immersed in the "feel" of the game and didnt think the graphics were much of an improvement to Rome.

I loved Rome, I loved MTW and STW...

...I do like the suggestion of a Dynasty China based game. Apart from that a Neapolionic game seems the more natural progression, if they go back to Rome I'd have to say "double, treble GAHH!" as that's just a cash-in, cop-out. I doubt a WWI game would work to the form we'd like as the battles would be far too close to others available now on the market with only the turn-based campaign section being "new" in the gaunre.

Since M2, I've moved away from these forums and haven't picked up M2 and keep playing Rome or MTW...I'm keeping an eye here though as I "hope" CA will/can produce a decent RTS again and realise that populating a game with unsyncronised animations, sun flare, non-clone troops and other graphical "tweaks" do not maketh a good game when the core game is still borning and contrived.

...I never got over the time compression thing...sorry.
    My Steam Community Profile - Currently looking for .Org members I know with NTW for MP stuff (as I'm new to that...lol)

Dispensing plasmids one bacteria at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by WarHeart88
    I would really like to see a new Shogun, but it's unlikely since they now have a choice between doing STW or RTW again. Rome 2 would be more popular, therefore it would make more cash, so CA (may all their puppies die terrible, terrible deaths) would probably go for RTW2...
    Ohh gods I don't want a RTW2. We just had RTW The Classic, and its engine is almost exactly the same as the "new" MTW2 engine ('cept for some 3D stuff, yeah yeah). Why ohh why would they re-do it? Talk about a waste of time. I don't think that would sell very well at all, considering that they just released it! And you mentioned the greed factor inherent in video game making, so no, they won't do RTW2.

Of course, I've been wrong before and people are always doing really stupid things...

Napoleonic Era is still the most likely, I think, but I'd still like a WWI game, falsely assumed lack of strategy aside.
    "Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?"

--Fry, Futurama, the show that does not advocate the cool crime of robbery

I think the next one will most likely be Rome 2 Total War. The reason for my assumption is that Medieval Total War was such a hit that a sequel was appropriate for it, as is Rome Total War a hit. So a sequel to Rome would be:

1) Very deserving since it kinda revolutionised the Total War franchise

2) VERY COOL and I would like to see what time frame they had in mind

It would be appropriate in the sense that Swords and steel make better strategy than guns like a "WW1 Total War", as was mentioned earlier. In my opinion, Total War should stick to the old styles of Warfare like the raming of ships and boarding them, visible controllable sea battle instead of always automating it!! , and a good old fashioned sword in the stomach. Sorry my views on guns were a tad wrong, I meant not acceptable guns as in the ones that actually did what was intended around 1900's, the guns of the medieval era are acceptable because of the fact they tended to blow up in the users face.
    Ok not funny... however I understand that others may disagree with me and say that a WW1 Total war game would be fantasitc, but I think if it were weighed up, like the vote above lol, I think that Rome 2 Total War would win soley because Medieval is becoming an "milked" era, for example WW2 games have been DONE TO DEATH!!! that is "Milked". Don't get me wrong I love the Medieval era is great I'd still go out, buy and play another medieval total war game but preferrably, I'd choose the Rome era/ franchise

lol I wonder how many others agree with me...
    What we do for our children dies with us and us alone, what we do for others and the world lives immortal

BLEEEE! Senior Member Daveybaby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by danfda
    Ohh gods I don't want a RTW2. We just had RTW The Classic, and its engine is almost exactly the same as the "new" MTW2 engine ('cept for some 3D stuff, yeah yeah). Why ohh why would they re-do it? Talk about a waste of time. I don't think that would sell very well at all, considering that they just released it! And you mentioned the greed factor inherent in video game making, so no, they won't do RTW2.
    The M2TW engine has never been considered 'new' - its acknowledged that its basically an enhanced RTW engine, in the same way that MTW1 used an enhanced STW engine.

Presumably CA (UK) have been working on the next "fully new" engine iteration while CA (Aus) were busy developing M2TW, so hopefully the next TW game will be significantly advanced over RTW/M2TW, in the same way that RTW was a huge advance over STW/MTW.

Having said that i also think its far too soon for R2TW. While its a very historically rich period i dont think it made for very interesting gameplay.

Napoleonic Era is still the most likely, I think, but I'd still like a WWI game, falsely assumed lack of strategy aside.
    I think the main problem with a WWI type of game is that the scale of engagements is on a totally different level to that of the rest of the TW series. Youre not dealing with engagements between armies of a couple of thousand men any more, youre dealing with entire fronts stretching 100's of kilometers with hundreds of thousands of men engaging in battle simultaneously.

I agree that there would still be plenty of strategy to be had, but there's not much in terms of tactical battles - which is the raison d'etre of the TW series.

I think napoleonic would be the obvious next step - similar scale of engagements to what we're used to, shorter timescales (i would estimate 1 month per turn would be a sensible rate), and hopefully full naval battles. I'd buy it.
    Last edited by Daveybaby; 07-02-2007 at 15:29.

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

I would like to see a Renaissance TW. This would start where MTW finishes and could go onto say 1789. Lots of conflict through the whole period, loads of tech improvements, plenty of religion with the possibility of Catholics becoming Protestants. I think that to go beyond 1789 would be difficult for the TW system as technologies change too quickly and the concept of a nation at arms/ large armies etc does not work well with TW. There is a mod for MTW which does cover this period, so you do have a head start.
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

I think Lemur's setting of ancient China set in the Ten Kingdoms period is the most likely, followed closely by a Napoloenic game. I would peg some sort of fantasy title as a distant third, but I don't think we'll see anything like that for a while yet.

A TW game set in the modern period (including both World Wars) would be a grave mistake. As King Kurt pointed out, technological development would be too rapid for a game like that to be enjoyable. Doing so would also move away from Total War's traditional (and successful) formula of huge armies clashing in melee combat -- if I want to play a game where men mostly die from shooting at each other, I can pick up any of the zillion WW2 titles that are out there.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    but why did the NTW mod for MTW/RTW have quite a sucess,yet they didn't have ships?.

Handler of candles Member Xehh II's Avatar

I have to put RTW 2 because even though I don't like RTW I do love EB and with RTW 2 hopefully comes EB 2, i'd also like to see a WW 1/2 TW game or maybe 20th Century TW.
    A ha ha! Rainbows and unicorns! Rainbows and unicorns!

Brotherhood of Aggony Member okeenan's Avatar

Lightbulb Re: Possible New TW games

Maybe not a well known period of history but how about a kind of Old Testament Total War. Say around the Invasions of the Sea Peoples(have to decide who they were but hey), End of the Egyptian New Kingdom / Myceneans, Introduction of Iron Weapons, Moses, The Trojans, Assyrians, Philistines, Nubians etc etc

not an especially well documented period of history with lots of continuing debate but creative assembly could definitely have a lot of fun with it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast