Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion Box

Default Re: Suggestion Box

Quote Originally Posted by Taranaich
    This could be an either/or deal so it doesn't require too much stress from the player, so one can either rule a Neo-Stygian empire with an iron fist, or doom humanity to a chaotic and hideous life of servitude under Set.
    I for one welcome our new scaly overlords! Yes, it would be very nice to have both "mundane" and "magical" victory condition for Stygia, either of which can be reached by the player separately. How about combining the Heart of Ahriman to raising Set? For example, the player needs to steal the Heart and take it to Khemi where the Black Pyramids are. There it will be used to resurrect Giant-kings, who will tell how to arrange a mass sacrifice to wake Set/Yig from its slumber. Then the player needs to enslave/exterminate enough people, representing massive drive to collect enough sacrifices for an epic bloodbath required for a such world-shaking ritual.

Quote Originally Posted by keravnos
    Robert E. Howard wrote 700+ poems. I haven't read more than 5 of them, I must admit.
    Unfortunately they seem to be quite hard to find. I've only found and read three online - Cimmeria, Road of Kings and Song of Mad Minstrel. Those all contain passages that might be useful, though. I wish I could find more, they are useful as RPG material without any modifications - they could well be poems sung by minstrels in Hyboria.

Broken Crescent has begun research for Kara Khitai Khanate...

It may come in handy in the future
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=134104

You like EB? Buy CA games.

The Scourge of Rome Member Spartan198's Avatar

Question Re: Suggestion Box

Still working on unit ideas for you at this time,but I was curious about a couple things.
    (1) How were you planning on presenting the Barachan Isles? An independent settlement or rebel city? Or had the thought of making them a seperate pirate faction crossed your mind? If so,then conquering them could add a couple of unique ship classes to your arsenal. What do you think?
    (2) I was also wondering something about Corinthia. Aside from the Sacred Guard (cool name,BTW),were you going to stick with pike phalangist units,or were you going to mix in some traditional hoplite units,as well? I was curious because I'm working on an idea for a unit of Spartan-esque hoplites (working on a suitable name).
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic7
    I for one welcome our new scaly overlords!
    Hah, I actually laughed out loud at that!

Yes, it would be very nice to have both "mundane" and "magical" victory condition for Stygia, either of which can be reached by the player separately. How about combining the Heart of Ahriman to raising Set? For example, the player needs to steal the Heart and take it to Khemi where the Black Pyramids are. There it will be used to resurrect Giant-kings, who will tell how to arrange a mass sacrifice to wake Set/Yig from its slumber. Then the player needs to enslave/exterminate enough people, representing massive drive to collect enough sacrifices for an epic bloodbath required for a such world-shaking ritual.
    The Heart of Ahriman may well be an artefact necessary to the summoning of Set, along with a few other magical items and places. I don't know if it's possible to steal the heart without slaying one of the characters, but there might be a way around it through scripting. The bloodbath does indeed seem a requirement for mighty magic, as evidenced by Xaltotun's attempt to sacrifice the hundred thousand men at the Valley of Lions.

Unfortunately they seem to be quite hard to find. I've only found and read three online - Cimmeria, Road of Kings and Song of Mad Minstrel. Those all contain passages that might be useful, though. I wish I could find more, they are useful as RPG material without any modifications - they could well be poems sung by minstrels in Hyboria.
    REH poetry is scandalously scarce, all the worse since his prose is so poetic as it is. I have a few good ones in old books though, some I'll certainly use.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanGlory1983
    Still working on unit ideas for you at this time,but I was curious about a couple things.
    (1) How were you planning on presenting the Barachan Isles? An independent settlement or rebel city? Or had the thought of making them a seperate pirate faction crossed your mind? If so,then conquering them could add a couple of unique ship classes to your arsenal. What do you think?
    The Barachans will be an independent settlement (which is pretty much the same thing as a rebel city, I just prefer that term over "rebel" which is a bit generic). The Barachans will have three mercenary units available, and I'll probably make a few ships too.

(2) I was also wondering something about Corinthia. Aside from the Sacred Guard (cool name,BTW),were you going to stick with pike phalangist units,or were you going to mix in some traditional hoplite units,as well? I was curious because I'm working on an idea for a unit of Spartan-esque hoplites (working on a suitable name).
    There are a few traditional hoplites in the Corinthia thread. I'm kind of wary of including "Spartan" hoplites since they're just so well-known, it might be a bit jarring, but I'd be interested to see what you come up with.
    Last edited by Taranaich; 12-14-2007 at 17:17.

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world, like blue mantles beneath the stars...
    Is fhearr fheuchainn na bhith san duil.

will you use a mod progress sticky post, like what their using in broken crest so its easier to follow the progress you guys have made on the mod?

i love the ideas and the scope thats planned so far but its kinda hard to tell where your at on the mod

Quote Originally Posted by born2dive67
    will you use a mod progress sticky post, like what their using in broken crest so its easier to follow the progress you guys have made on the mod?
    Possibly, that would make things easier for anyone checking up, but it's hard for me to quantify in percentages how the mod's going. I've made an attempt below though.

i love the ideas and the scope thats planned so far but its kinda hard to tell where your at on the mod
    Well, at the moment I'm doing the stuff that (I think) I'm most confident with, which is the skins and units. The campaign's a bigger beast to slay, not least since I have a *ton* of text work ahead of me, so at the moment the mod looks something like this:

Unit graphics: 45%
    Unit stats: 15%
    Unit descriptions: 50%
    UI: 5%
    Campaign map: 10%
    Faction descriptions: 50%
    Buildings: 10%

So going pretty well so far.

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world, like blue mantles beneath the stars...

thanks for the update.

i use to be an avid reader of the Conan books and actually had started from reading the comic books. i look forward to playing this some time in the future and wish you the best of luck.

I did see something about the no movement points for a certain cimmerian unit and was thinking why not just have excellent attack stats, lower on the defense stat and the smallest unit sizes possible. the reason i thought this is because when the ice age comes the cimmerians are gonna get crushed between a rock and a hard space unless they could actually have a chance at taking other provinces, just a thought. plus with the unit sizes smaller it would give more of the feeling of village bands roaming and raiding.

same with the Vanir and aesir but just better armored and not as strong in attack, just unit size being smaller

these are just thoughts though and i dont mean to infringe on your ideas if any of this feels that way.

again thanks for the update and good luck, i will definetly be a lurker here looking forward to this mod.

umm p.s. lol would be great if it comes in a seperate folder and not overwrite the vanilla as i also have like 6 others mods i switch between, i mention this cause i saw nothing about this

Quote Originally Posted by born2dive67
    i use to be an avid reader of the Conan books and actually had started from reading the comic books. i look forward to playing this some time in the future and wish you the best of luck.
    Cheers!

I did see something about the no movement points for a certain cimmerian unit and was thinking why not just have excellent attack stats, lower on the defense stat and the smallest unit sizes possible. the reason i thought this is because when the ice age comes the cimmerians are gonna get crushed between a rock and a hard space unless they could actually have a chance at taking other provinces, just a thought. plus with the unit sizes smaller it would give more of the feeling of village bands roaming and raiding.
    Not all the Cimmerians will have zero movement points, just the clansmen and clanswomen. They are more intended as the garrison unit, with free and quick recruitment and upkeep at the expense of not moving out the settlement. This makes Cimmerian settlements extremely tough to conquer while not making the Cimmerians themselves gamebreakingly powerful. When the Ice comes, the event will trigger a script that will lift the movement point restriction, allowing the Cimmerians/AEsir/Vanir to start migrating.

Nonetheless, even without their clansmen and women, the Cimmerians will have a strong selection of units to enable them to conquer other provinces: the problem is that the nearest ones are populated with folk just as tough as they are! It's kind of the same situation as the Casse and Sweboz in Europa Barbarorum, where they're surrounded by extremely tough rebels to slow expansion.

The high attack/low defense paradigm is indeed the one I'll be using, and the AEsir/Vanir have slightly better armour and slower attack speed to reflect their more Nordic style of fighting.

these are just thoughts though and i dont mean to infringe on your ideas if any of this feels that way.
    Not at all, I appreciate input and comments.

umm p.s. lol would be great if it comes in a seperate folder and not overwrite the vanilla as i also have like 6 others mods i switch between, i mention this cause i saw nothing about this
    At the moment I've just written it over the main game (easiest for me, my first mod and all, I'm still working out the kinks), but I plan to fully move it over to it's own folder when it comes closer to release. It would be somewhat rude of me to release a mod that requires a separate install of a 10gb game when other mods work fine in their own folders.

I was checking out your faction leader thread and it gave me an idea for family member bodyguard units: I haven't played M2TW yet,so I don't know that game's take on them,but Rome and BI bodyguard units were puny and pretty much useless aside from throwing away your general. How about, instead of small bands of 12 or so horsemen, you make the starting bodyguard count equal to that of the standard cavalry squadron count (27 at the lowest settings on the above games)? Maybe my tactics are just too infantry-based, but I always seem to waste family members because of this. (I find that a captain in charge of 27 horses seems to be far more useful than a general or king in charge of 12)
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

Oddly enough, just about every major battle in the Conan tales has the generals (usually they're the faction leader themselves) getting stuck right in to the fighting: Strabonus and Amalrus in Scarlet Citadel, Amalric and Tarascus in Hour of the Dragon, and naturally Conan himself are not afraid to get their armour splashed in blood. As such, expect generals to be much more useful as combatants in The Hyborian Age - Total War. They won't be ridiculously powerful (unless they're Conan, who will be very hard to kill or capture on the battlefield as per usual), but they'll certainly be as good combatants as their own elites.

The bodyguard units will be different depending on the faction, but here's a rough idea:

Hyborian general's bodyguards will be composed of elite heavy cavalry, usually the cream of the nation's chivalry: they'll likely have a small number of cavalry soldier, but not so small that they'd be useless in combat. There will be regional variations (Black Dragons for Aquilonia, Scarlet Dragons for Nemedia, Companions for Corinthia etc) but they'll more or less fulfill similar roles.

Eastern bodyguards are heavy horse archers armed with heavy bows and clad in strong armour, with a small number of soldiers like the Hyborians. Again, regional variations apply for the individual factions (Immortals for Iranistan, Solaks for Turan etc).

Barbarian bodyguards are heavy infantry, and slightly different based on the faction: Cimmerians have Arras Champions (Goidilic/Iberian-style scale armour, armed with claymores), Æsir and Vanir have Ásjarls and Vanjarls (scale armoured two-handed warhammers/swordsmen), and the Picts have Chosen Braves (warriors armed in pilfered or traded chain armour and Zingaran swords). They'll generally be as hearty and enthusiastic fighters as other infantry units, and indeed will probably be more effective at command when stuck in the fray.

Stygian generals are probably going to be chariot archers at some point assuming the chariot animations/models can be cracked, but until then they're heavy horse archers like the Easterners.

I should say I have *no clue* what Zamora's going to be like, but it'll certainly be interesting.

I'm getting anxious to play this game. You're truly a one of a kind modder first for wanting to do this all by yourself, and second for doing a good job on it.

General's Infantry Guard,huh? That's different, but definitely a cool idea. Props, my trans-Atlantic friend!

Quote Originally Posted by Volkmar
    I'm getting anxious to play this game. You're truly a one of a kind modder first for wanting to do this all by yourself, and second for doing a good job on it.
    You're far too kind. I probably would have worked on a Conan mod for Rome if I had more modding know-how at the time, but in retrospect there are lots of things in Medieval that I couldn't do in Rome, so it's turned out alright.

A faction preview for Turan is coming up: there are a lot of very different units in it since Turan's basically the Ottomans, Timurids, and Sassanids rolled into one unholy empire with might and grandeur echoed but dimly by the glories of later kings.

Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanGlory1983
    General's Infantry Guard,huh? That's different, but definitely a cool idea. Props, my trans-Atlantic friend!
    Europa Barbarorum's Sweboz and Getae have infantry bodyguards, as well as the gaelic/germanic factions in Arthurian, so it isn't that original, but thanks anyway.

I'm probably going to give Vendhya (maybe Kosala and Khitai too) elephant bodyguards. There aren't any examples of Vendhya (or Kosala or Khitai) having war elephants, but since they're in the area now part of South East Asia which was infamous for their war elephants (the Mauryan, Bagan and Khmer Empires in particular) it seems a reasonable extrapolation, and I'd wager generals would make use of the higher vantage point an elephant offers.

Who are you basing Zamora on?
    If you played Sabaeans in Europa Barbarorum, did you see their general's bodyguards?
    ξυνòς 'Evυáλιoς κaí τε κτανéoντα κατéκτα
    Alike to all is the War God, and him who would kill he kills. (Il. 18.309)

Barbarian bodyguards are heavy infantry, and slightly different based on the faction: Cimmerians have Arras Champions (Goidilic/Iberian-style scale armour, armed with claymores), Æsir and Vanir have Ásjarls and Vanjarls (scale armoured two-handed warhammers/swordsmen), and the Picts have Chosen Braves (warriors armed in pilfered or traded chain armour and Zingaran swords). They'll generally be as hearty and enthusiastic fighters as other infantry units, and indeed will probably be more effective at command when stuck in the fray.
    How about making the Pictish bodyguard instead ultimate ambushers able to hide everywhere? Very high defense, frighten enemies but practically no armor at all, maybe very high javelin attack for a few throws (poisoned spears or something)? I think it is nowhere mentioned that Picts make use of looted armor - I rather had the idea that they despise Aquilonians for that. I mean, in Howards stories where picts are mentioned they have obviously won and killed a lot of Aquilonian soldiers but still haven't taken their armor in use, only their weapons at most. Besides, having an armored unit armed with swords in an army consisting of mostly ~naked ambushers seems a bit out of place, doesn't it? The picture I have of pictish warfare is that they never fight fair, always preferring ambushes and hit n' run tactics. If you plan to add optional military reforms in other factions, perhaps picts could have that choice too - to become more "civilized" through conquest of civilized lands at some point or stay true to their old style of warfare.

Edit - What comes to M2TW Kingdoms, I think there are three reasons to take the mod there. 1) Special abilities, this could be used for spells, 2) Somewhat control of reinforcing armies, this is just nice in gameplay and 3) Ability to build permanent forts, adds new strategic possibilities. However, I don't know if only three plus sides are worth the trouble.
    Last edited by Majestic7; 01-09-2008 at 20:45.

Have you considered benefits for factions holding specific landmarks,like Mount Crom,the Skull Gate of Hyperborea,and the Great Wall of Khitai? Treating them as somewhat of a Howardian equivalent to the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World would seem logical. Holding Mount Crom,for example,could give a public order boost,or lower the amount of turns needed to train elite Cimmerian units. What do you think?

Well hello to everybody ! Great mod !!
    Here's a modding suggestion for Pike(especially Corinthian ) and Halberd units...

Where you see for pike and halberd units they have the attribute "phalanx".

Delete it and replace it with shield_wall

Then under their secondary weapons, remove them. So you'll see...
    stat_sec 8, 2, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, sword, 25, 1

Change it to...
    stat_sec 0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, melee_simple, blunt, none, 25, 1

The only thing i cannot find out is how to make them to take a defencive stance by pointing their pikes to the enemy when an enemy unit aproaches like all other units do.... and one other thing (maybe this is to much to be possible) When in defencive stance or when attacking (MAYBE ) the first 2,3,4 0r 5 (too much ) ranks pointing their pikes to the enemy and the rest pointing them to the air..(is this possible?)

Please try it and see the results

Cheers...!

(Unless you have find a better way then in that case if you are kind enough please tell me Thanx !!)
    Last edited by The Wicked; 01-12-2008 at 13:43.

"Alexander came by the statue of his father and spoke loud: `Youths of the Pellaians and of the Macedonians and of the Hellenic Amphictiony and of the Lakedaimonians and of the Corinthians... and of all the Hellenic peoples, join your fellow-soldiers and entrust yourselves to me, so that we can move against the barbarians and liberate ourselves from the Persian bondage, for AS Hellenes WE should not be slaves to barbarians."

Quote Originally Posted by Cadwalader
    Who are you basing Zamora on?
    If you played Sabaeans in Europa Barbarorum, did you see their general's bodyguards?
    Zamora is a bit tricky: the Zamorians seem to be a mix of slavic and early modern Mexico(!), so I'm basing them on the great Balkan nations of Hungary, Bulgaria and Wallachia, with a little bit of Spanish thrown in. Some Howard scholars think that Zingara (which is a term for a female gypsy) and Zamora (the name of a Leonese province in Spain) got their names mixed up, so Zingara is the "Spain" and Zamora the "Mexico" of the Hyborian Age. Or maybe Howard did it deliberately to mix the two countries up, it's a source of much speculation.

The Sabeans bodyguard are very nice, but they're reserved for the mini-faction of the Sabateans, an independent city-state south of Iranistan which is the seat of much sorcery and devilment.

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic7
    How about making the Pictish bodyguard instead ultimate ambushers able to hide everywhere?
    Would be ideal, except a general's unit can't hide. Game mechanics or something, though if there's a way around it it would be great.

I think it is nowhere mentioned that Picts make use of looted armor - I rather had the idea that they despise Aquilonians for that. I mean, in Howards stories where picts are mentioned they have obviously won and killed a lot of Aquilonian soldiers but still haven't taken their armor in use, only their weapons at most.
    There are references to Picts trading with the Zingarans in a few stories and the Hyborian Age essay:

"West of here, many marches, lies the seashore. Ships from Zingara occasionally come and trade weapons and ornaments and wine to the coastal tribes for skins and copper ore and gold dust" - Beyond the Black River

Since the Zingarans have a habitual grudge with Aquilonia and particularly Poitain, it's kind of appropriate for some Zingaran barons to trade weapons to some savages that they know will make trouble for their rivals while getting some nice trinkets as a bonus. I'm sure the Picts wouldn't have such qualms stealing Aquilonian weapons and mail, but they wouldn't encase themselves in it by any means - at least not until the reforms.

Besides, having an armored unit armed with swords in an army consisting of mostly ~naked ambushers seems a bit out of place, doesn't it?
    Well, by armoured I mean basically just a mail shirt and maybe vambraces, nothing that would sacrifice their mobility too much. Besides, the Picts do have swords as according to Beyond the Black River, but I'm treating them as the exception rather than the rule.

The picture I have of pictish warfare is that they never fight fair, always preferring ambushes and hit n' run tactics. If you plan to add optional military reforms in other factions, perhaps picts could have that choice too - to become more "civilized" through conquest of civilized lands at some point or stay true to their old style of warfare.
    The Picts definitely prefer guerilla tactics over field engagements, and most of their units will be highly mobile with good attack but low defense and no armour. Skirmish with the enemy, charge them, retreat, skirmish, charge, retreat seems to be their modus operandi in The Black Stranger where a Pictish siege is described. So mobility is the key for the Picts, as well as ambushing and navigating forest terrain - which the Aquilonians have some difficulty in.

The Pictish Reforms of the later Hyborian Age could be started early by an enthusiastic player by research and expansion, but an important facet is that no matter how many castles they conquer or cities they acquire, the Pict always remains the eternal savage:

"Conquest and the acquiring of wealth altered not the Pict; out of the ruins of the crushed civilization no new culture arose phoenix-like. The dark hands which shattered the artistic glories of the conquered never tried to copy them. Though he sat among the glittering ruins of shattered palaces and clad his hard body in the silks of vanquished kings, the Pict remained the eternal barbarian, ferocious, elemental, interested only in the naked primal principles of life, unchanging, unerring in his instincts which were all for war and plunder, and in which arts and the cultured progress of humanity had no place." - The Hyborian Age

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanGlory198
    Have you considered benefits for factions holding specific landmarks,like Mount Crom,the Skull Gate of Hyperborea,and the Great Wall of Khitai? Treating them as somewhat of a Howardian equivalent to the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World would seem logical. Holding Mount Crom,for example,could give a public order boost,or lower the amount of turns needed to train elite Cimmerian units. What do you think?
    There will be landmarks, buildings and wonders that function in this way: for example, the Scarlet Citadel give public a order bonus/happiness deduction due to terror, as well as discounts in training demons and magic-related technologies. Things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wicked
    Well hello to everybody ! Great mod !!
    Here's a modding suggestion for Pike(especially Corinthian ) and Halberd units...
    I tried the shield wall, but the lack of defensive animation is kind of crippling when used for units to defend against cavalry. I do use it for aggressive pike units though, it's pretty awesome having pikemen charge like that.

At some time in the far future a certain "indian influenced" (cough Vendhya, Kosala) state will be created.

Some sources for that far off day.

and

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=133038

For some similar units.

You like EB? Buy CA games.

I tried the shield wall, but the lack of defensive animation is kind of crippling when used for units to defend against cavalry. I do use it for aggressive pike units though, it's pretty awesome having pikemen charge like that.
    Well look What those guys in BC have done to the ERE pikemen great animation ...

"Alexander came by the statue of his father and spoke loud: `Youths of the Pellaians and of the Macedonians and of the Hellenic Amphictiony and of the Lakedaimonians and of the Corinthians... and of all the Hellenic peoples, join your fellow-soldiers and entrust yourselves to me, so that we can move against the barbarians and liberate ourselves from the Persian bondage, for AS Hellenes WE should not be slaves to barbarians."

Quote Originally Posted by The Wicked
    Well look What those guys in BC have done to the ERE pikemen great animation ...
    Of course BC are also much more advanced modders than I am.

Thanks for the text keravnos: Vendhya will likely run the gamut of Indian-style units (longbowmen, Kshatryas, and of course a good number of elephants).

Turan is edging closer to an official preview, but like Koth it's surprisingly difficult for me to find something I'm satisfied with. Most of the core units are done though.

I know your Turan preview is coming up soon (and am still looking forward to it),but I was wondering if maybe you'd let me know what kingdoms you're focusing on and what each's historical model(s) will be? That way,we can both be on the same page as to what types of units you want for said faction,and I don't drop you unit ideas that flow against the current,so to speak,and end up useless.

How about including King Kull and the Atlantean Sword as a couple types of ancilliaries? King Kull could be considered a type of "legendary hero" trait that appears in,for example,King Conan's retinue list that gives a massive morale or attack boost,and the Atlantean Sword could have a somewhat similar effect that Excalibur had in Barbarian Invasion (but I can't quite remember what it is at the moment,because I've only attained it once a long time ago and haven't gotten it since,but it seems like it might have been some sort of heroic trait or battle skill).

Unit ideas:
    Barachan Pirate Mercenaries - Unarmored light infantry that uses a missile weapon,maybe a harpoon,before charging. Though their defense rating would be low,they could either have high hitpoints or be dirt cheap to hire and maintain as a balance.
    Argossean Gladiator Units - If my memory serves me correctly,a few of REH's stories mention Argos having Roman-esque gladiatorial games. Maybe a gladiator unit or two would compliment Argos' unit roster? This is one of my areas of expertise,so if you think it feels appropriate for the culture,let me know and I'll see what I can come up with.
    Mercenary Warships - This is somewhat of a wildcard,because I'm not sure how the mechanics would work,if possible at all. I've always played Total War with the somewhat frusterating aspect of balancing out production of ground and naval forces,and always wished I could hire pirate ships or something as an interim navy.

Edit: Just out of curiousity,what's your stance on non-REH characters like Janissa the warrior-woman,Karela the Red Hawk,and Red Sonja (yeah,I know Sonja's copyrighted - just an example)?I'm not saying they should or shouldn't be included,but I'm only curious of your stance,mod-wise,toward them.
    Last edited by Spartan198; 01-18-2008 at 19:02.

I know your Turan preview is coming up soon (and am still looking forward to it),but I was wondering if maybe you'd let me know what kingdoms you're focusing on and what each's historical model(s) will be? That way,we can both be on the same page as to what types of units you want for said faction,and I don't drop you unit ideas that flow against the current,so to speak,and end up useless.
    Certainly, here's a rough model of the factions for the first release:

Aquilonia = Medieval France / Imperial Rome
    Nemedia = Holy Roman Empire / Imperial Rome
    Koth = The Byzantines
    Argos = Argos / Medieval Italy
    Zingara = Medieval Spain / Classical Iberians
    Corinthia = Corinth / Carinthia
    Ophir = Medieval Italy / Ptolemaic Egypt
    Brythunia = Medieval Poland / Dark Age Britain and Classical Galatia
    Hyperborea = Medieval Russia / Medieval Finland
    The Border Kingdom = Medieval Anglo-Scottish Border country
    The Cimmerians = Dark Age Gaels
    The Æsir = Dark Age Norse
    The Vanir = Dark Age Norse
    The Picts = Cavemen / East-coast Native Americans
    Pelishtia = Ancient Mesopotamia
    The Zuagir = Pre-Islamic Arabia / Moors
    Zamora = The Roma people, particularly the Gitanos of Iberia and the Kalderash of the Balkans / Pre-Columbian South American civilizations
    Stygia = Ancient Egypt
    Turan = Ottoman Turks / Timurid Empire

When two inspirations are listed, the first is the dominant one, the second being either complementary or superficial.

I'm not entirely sure of Zamora yet, the scholars I'm chatting to haven't gotten back to me on it, but they're definitely Roma. I'm tentatively giving them a gleaning of the Moche culture due to their worship of a Spider God, but it's not permanent.

Also, don't worry about suggesting units that wouldn't fit with my own outlook: just because they wouldn't fit for one faction doesn't mean they wouldn't be great for another. The only soldiers that wouldn't really fit in the Hyborian Age are those with guns, and even they might make it in if replaced with a crossbow.

How about including King Kull and the Atlantean Sword as a couple types of ancilliaries? King Kull could be considered a type of "legendary hero" trait that appears in,for example,King Conan's retinue list that gives a massive morale or attack boost,and the Atlantean Sword could have a somewhat similar effect that Excalibur had in Barbarian Invasion (but I can't quite remember what it is at the moment,because I've only attained it once a long time ago and haven't gotten it since,but it seems like it might have been some sort of heroic trait or battle skill).
    Aspects of Kull and Kull's Thurian Age will definitely be in the mod, since there are plenty of such things in the Conan stories (the Aquilonian city of Shamar is believed to have been built before Atlantis sank, for example), so a few trinkets of the Thurian Age might make their way into the game. "Legendary Ancestor" is a really neat idea actually, and ties in well with the ideas of bloodlines: although I'm not sure Conan is a direct descendent of Kull, there's nothing stopping him boasting of descent once he learns about him.

Barachan Pirate Mercenaries - Unarmored light infantry that uses a missile weapon,maybe a harpoon,before charging. Though their defense rating would be low,they could either have high hitpoints or be dirt cheap to hire and maintain as a balance.
    The Barachans are surprisingly well equipped - there are pikemen with cuirasses and burgonets, longbowmen with leather jerkins and helms, and the usual unarmoured sword-swinging pirates one would expect. Your description fits the latter nicely (I even have them hurling harpoons!), and the two others would be specialist troops you only get by conquering Tortage (or if you're Argos, who use them as privateers)

Argossean Gladiator Units - If my memory serves me correctly,a few of REH's stories mention Argos having Roman-esque gladiatorial games. Maybe a gladiator unit or two would compliment Argos' unit roster? This is one of my areas of expertise,so if you think it feels appropriate for the culture,let me know and I'll see what I can come up with.
    Howard doesn't explicitly mention any gladiators in Argos, but they do fit quite well with the polyglot swarthiness and brutality I had in mind for Argos' more rugged and ungentlemanly units. Since Argos has somewhat relaxed laws regarding trade with pirates, I can certainly imagine pit-fights or deathmatches being quite popular in the darker corners of Messantia.

Mercenary Warships - This is somewhat of a wildcard,because I'm not sure how the mechanics would work,if possible at all. I've always played Total War with the somewhat frusterating aspect of balancing out production of ground and naval forces,and always wished I could hire pirate ships or something as an interim navy.
    I think Mercenary warships are a must for landlocked nations, since constructing a fleet to confront even a smaller maritime power would take time: hiring out pirate or Free Company fleets would give them a leg-up.

Edit: Just out of curiousity,what's your stance on non-REH characters like Janissa the warrior-woman,Karela the Red Hawk,and Red Sonja (yeah,I know Sonja's copyrighted - just an example)?I'm not saying they should or shouldn't be included,but I'm only curious of your stance,mod-wise,toward them.
    I've decided to take a hard-line stance on non-REH characters and chose not to include them. This just keeps things simple, so that the only characters, soldiers, places and events are either REH's own, or ones I made up. This keeps things simple copyright wise and also maintains a sense of integrity when I disagree with a certain pastiche's views on a nation or character. So no Red Sonja, Janissa, Karela or other characters, sorry to say. There are some characters I really liked though - Fafnir Demonhand is one of my favourite Conan characters not written by Howard - but it would be unfair to "pick and choose", so there it is.

Ah,thanks. This helps quite a bit.

PS - So the works of REH are public domain Scotland? I'm only curious because there's a big controversy about it here in the States. From the last I heard,the status was still up in the air. It really stinks (sorry,I don't mean to jump off subject).

PPS - You've got states on your list that correspond to the Reinassance (sp?) period,so REH's Red Sonya (with a "Y",not a "J") of Rogantino wouldn't necessarily be off-limits. Really,all you'd need to do is change her pistols over for hand-held crossbows.

Edit - Again,out of curiousity,what does that phrase at the bottom of your posts,beneath "The Hyborian Age: Total War",translate to,if you don't mind me asking?
    Last edited by Spartan198; 01-20-2008 at 13:21.

PS - So the works of REH are public domain Scotland? I'm only curious because there's a big controversy about it here in the States. From the last I heard,the status was still up in the air. It really stinks (sorry,I don't mean to jump off subject).
    Under UK law, an artist's work becomes public domain 70 years after the death of the author, so Howard's works are all public domain in Scotland. I think there's a similar setup for Australia, hence why they have his work on their Project Gutenberg. The US controversy is pretty complicated, not least due to Red Sonja LLC's absurd actions against Paradox, but hopefully it'll be resolved this year.

PPS - You've got states on your list that correspond to the Reinassance (sp?) period,so REH's Red Sonya (with a "Y",not a "J") of Rogantino wouldn't necessarily be off-limits. Really,all you'd need to do is change her pistols over for hand-held crossbows.
    I'm hesitant to take Howard's non-Hyborian characters and put them in a Hyborian setting straight, to maintain the integrity of the tales they originate in as Howard imagined. However, taking Howard's non-Hyborian characters as inspiration is another matter entirely, and I fully intend on homaging them in some form.

This works well with Howard's James Allison stories, where the bedridden 20th Century Texan recounts past incarnations as mighty Æsir warriors from prehistory, so I thought I'd fill out some factions with the "progenitors" of other Howard heroes: Bran Mak Morn for the Picts, Cormac Mac Art for the Cimmerians, Cormac Fitzgeoffrey for the Border Kingdom, etc. Red Sonya would thus be ripe for a Hyperborean ancestor, especially since Medieval allows for unique generals like in Alexander.

Conan and a few other important figures will have unique models on the battlefield, as opposed to a generic family member model - I've also introduced random captains too, to break the monotony of the same chap fielding every battle (and they have shields too!) This way you can have Conan himself cutting bloody swathes through the enemy with a big freaking axe, as opposed to the sword and shield of other Aquilonian generals. I think this would also allow female leaders like Sancha, Olivia and Yasmina, though I'd have to figure something out about the male voice and wedding thing. Maybe a "Female Monarch" trait to prevent marriages or something.

Edit - Again,out of curiousity,what does that phrase at the bottom of your posts,beneath "The Hyborian Age: Total War",translate to,if you don't mind me asking?
    It is better to try than to hope. Old family motto.

ok been a little over a month now, think its time for a new update? :D

your really me on wondering how the progress is going lol

i am rally looking forward to this mod

rally was to be really

Have you checked the Turan preview b2d?

Mod progress so far now:

Unit graphics: 50%
    Unit stats: 20%
    Unit descriptions: 50%
    UI: 5%
    Campaign map: 10%
    Faction descriptions: 50%
    Buildings: 10%

Yeah, not much done yet. Still getting over the conjunctivitis, but I can see better for longer now before needing eyedrops, so steadily getting back into the groove.

Next preview will likely be Argos, which will be a blend of (very) Ancient Greece with the Mediterranean city-states of the Renaissance. Plus lots of Pirates!
    Last edited by Taranaich; 02-04-2008 at 17:43.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast