Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion Box

Default Re: Suggestion Box

What is the link to that article?
    Blackadder:"Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?"

https://skender.be/supportdenmark/#CS

The Scourge of Rome Member Spartan198's Avatar

Glad to hear you're beginning to feel better.

just recently got Medieval II (so I'm all set for your first release when the time comes),and I was wondering a couple things: (1) Will we be able to choose the option of playing as a specific faction leader,in addition to the usual god-like playstyle where you simply play along as your family just multiplies,dies,multiplies,dies,etc.,etc.,etc.? (2) Will you be carrying over things like merchant and princess use and different types of settlements (i.e.,fortresses and large towns)? I really liked those two aspects of Medieval II.

Also,including elements like allowing the player to choose which queen or princess (or even slave girl?) his faction leader weds (choosing for Conan to wed Olivia or Yasmina,instead of Zenobia,for example) could add to the already-present RPG elements that are common in Total War games and affect the types of traits and ancillaries the individual recieves,which in turn affects his command,loyalty,influence,etc..
    Last edited by Spartan198; 02-05-2008 at 14:41.
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

Quote Originally Posted by Helgi
    What is the link to that article?
    The Turan preview? Here you go.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanGlory198
    just recently got Medieval II (so I'm all set for your first release when the time comes)
    I recommend Stainless Steel and Broken Crescent while you wait, they're particularly awesome.

(1) Will we be able to choose the option of playing as a specific faction leader,in addition to the usual god-like playstyle where you simply play along as your family just multiplies,dies,multiplies,dies,etc.,etc.,etc.?
    Not sure what you mean: do you mean like in Alexander where you just play as that character until the game ends? Or do you mean choose a faction leader out of a group?

(2) Will you be carrying over things like merchant and princess use and different types of settlements (i.e.,fortresses and large towns)? I really liked those two aspects of Medieval II.
    Definitely. Merchants will be much more worthwhile to recruit, with each resource being far more lucrative (i.e. a few hundred lunas per turn as opposed to a few dozen), so that even if an evil Shemite acquires your merchant's assets, you'd still have gathered a good amount of cash. Pelishtia will have the best merchants, and usually will dominate trade in the West.

Princesses will be a bit more effective too, since most princesses of the Hyborian Age were on the pretty side, but to balance this out their ethnicity will be important in regards to suitors and diplomacy: Pelishtim will marry Argosseans happily, less so with Stygians and Kothians, and will object strongly to marrying a Zuagir. I'm not sure how to approach barbarian princesses yet, since I doubt a Cimmerian lass would take kindly to being told to marry some southern softie (and as Conan said, "We do not sell our children"), but perhaps with other Cimmerians she would.

Also,including elements like allowing the player to choose which queen or princess (or even slave girl?) his faction leader weds (choosing for Conan to wed Olivia or Yasmina,instead of Zenobia,for example) could add to the already-present RPG elements that are common in Total War games and affect the types of traits and ancillaries the individual recieves,which in turn affects his command,loyalty,influence,etc..
    That would be awesome, but I'm not sure how possible it is. I had planned for Conan to be already married to Zenobia at the start of the game, but choice might be good. If it's possible I'll look into it.

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world, like blue mantles beneath the stars...
    Is fhearr fheuchainn na bhith san duil.

[quote=keravnos]

Taranaich, the article above, I had meant, thank you though
    Blackadder:"Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?"

https://skender.be/supportdenmark/#CS

Quote Originally Posted by Taranaich
    Not sure what you mean: do you mean like in Alexander where you just play as that character until the game ends? Or do you mean choose a faction leader out of a group?
    That option would provide a good degree more difficulty in the form of a time limit (i.e.,conquer X number of settlements before Y amount of turns) for anyone looking for a real challenge (the Alexander campaign was difficult,but undoubtedly the most rewarding when completed,despite the fact that you had to conquer virtually the whole map). And I've always found that family members in the regular style of gameplay just die off relatively too quick to be of extended use (and I hate it when they die of old age in the middle of conquest and leave the army to a captain in charge of a very vulnerable infantry unit!)

Alternatively,if the above doesn't seem to mix,would it be at all possible to make the passage of time per each turn selectable from six months to something as low as even seven days,or anything in between. Like you said in your Faction Leaders thread,you want players to be more personally aquainted with the leaders of their faction,and Conan fans such as you and I might want the Aquilonian king to live long enough to conquer all of Hyboria.

PS - BTW,are you the same Taranaich that's on the REH forums?
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

That option would provide a good degree more difficulty in the form of a time limit (i.e.,conquer X number of settlements before Y amount of turns) for anyone looking for a real challenge (the Alexander campaign was difficult,but undoubtedly the most rewarding when completed,despite the fact that you had to conquer virtually the whole map). And I've always found that family members in the regular style of gameplay just die off relatively too quick to be of extended use (and I hate it when they die of old age in the middle of conquest and leave the army to a captain in charge of a very vulnerable infantry unit!)

Alternatively,if the above doesn't seem to mix,would it be at all possible to make the passage of time per each turn selectable from six months to something as low as even seven days,or anything in between. Like you said in your Faction Leaders thread,you want players to be more personally aquainted with the leaders of their faction,and Conan fans such as you and I might want the Aquilonian king to live long enough to conquer all of Hyboria.
    Ah, I see. I'm thinking of utilizing the short/long campaign mechanic for this: short campaign would have you following one character, long campaign many generations. The short campaign would have 12 turns a year for 50 years, so you can pretty much follow one leader's life, and when they die it would very much feel like the end of an era. The long campaign would be more than that, perhaps one turn a year for 500, the focus shifting from individual characters to grand events like the Aquilonian empire, the Pictish and Hyrkanian invasions and the Nordic drift.

Hopefully I can make the other faction leaders as interesting and fun to play as Conan would be.

PS - BTW,are you the same Taranaich that's on the REH forums?
    Heh, I should make that a sticky - indeed, I am he.
    Last edited by Taranaich; 02-07-2008 at 17:22.

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world, like blue mantles beneath the stars...

short campaign sounds interesting, but i prefer long myself and the more turns per long the better, just my opinion though

Would it be feasable to add a "reputation" element alongside command stars,management,loyalty,etc.? Having a high reputation level could add overall bonuses instead of just certain attributes becoming better and better over time.

Would it be feasable to add a "reputation" element alongside command stars,management,loyalty,etc.? Having a high reputation level could add overall bonuses instead of just certain attributes becoming better and better over time.
    Would be nice, but I'm unsure if new elements can be added in such a way.

A character's reputation might be changed in how I'm thinking of overhauling the chivalry/dread system: instead of those two, it will now be Civilization/Barbarism. I'll explore the differences between the two at a later date (it will be a substantial part of the mod), but suffice to say that a character's rating will be very important to how other characters and factions view them.

Would be nice, but I'm unsure if new elements can be added in such a way.

A character's reputation might be changed in how I'm thinking of overhauling the chivalry/dread system: instead of those two, it will now be Civilization/Barbarism. I'll explore the differences between the two at a later date (it will be a substantial part of the mod), but suffice to say that a character's rating will be very important to how other characters and factions view them.
    Sounds interesting.

Sorry I haven't been to your forum as of late,I've just been preoccupied with modding little details concerning my R:TW files.

(1) I had an idea related to the mercenary general Valeria: Seeing as we both know how resistant she is to being helped by men,maybe it'd be more logical to make her bodyguard unit a grouping of warrior women. Valeria's an equal-opportunity killer,but I think she'd be more likely to surround herself with women.

(2) You may have answered this before but I can't quite remember when or where,so here goes: Will Corinthia have any standard hoplite units (i.e.,with dori thrusting spears instead of sarissa)? If so,why not have them wield their spears overhand instead of the usual underarm style? Seeing as underarm would put those nasty bronze counterweights perfectly level with the second rank's groin,which I know for sure ain't kosher (please,don't ask.)!

(1) I had an idea related to the mercenary general Valeria: Seeing as we both know how resistant she is to being helped by men,maybe it'd be more logical to make her bodyguard unit a grouping of warrior women. Valeria's an equal-opportunity killer,but I think she'd be more likely to surround herself with women.
    I was thinking of taking a leaf from Broken Crescent's book: one of their units (Kara-Khitai archers I think) has a mixture of male and female units. I thought that would be a neat thing to do. However, an all-female mercenary group would also be pretty unique, though not without historical precedent - like Eurypile's army of women that captured an Amorite city, or Arachidamia's Spartan women who battled Pyrrhus.

(2) You may have answered this before but I can't quite remember when or where,so here goes: Will Corinthia have any standard hoplite units (i.e.,with dori thrusting spears instead of sarissa)? If so,why not have them wield their spears overhand instead of the usual underarm style? Seeing as underarm would put those nasty bronze counterweights perfectly level with the second rank's groin,which I know for sure ain't kosher (please,don't ask.)!
    Corinthia will have three "hoplite" units armed with dori: the current names are Citizen Hoplites, Citizen Phalanx and Bronze Shields, though they might change for a more colourful ethnic name. At the moment the models are cursed with those horrible weedy little vanilla spears that look more like darts than sturdy battle spears, but I intend to give them big hefty dori and slightly bigger shields.

The overhand thing is a different matter though, it would require delving into the dreaded animation files and I don't know where to begin. A way to cheat could be to use the "javelin throwing" animation in a melee attack: I remember doing this completely by accident in Rome (and it looked pretty good), so it could be possible in Medieval. More experimentation will be needed in this matter, but if it can be done, it will.

I did the same thing with my hoplite phalanxes (the fs_javelinman animation) and everyone told me they wouldn't thrust their spears,but mine do without any dislikable result.

Another thing related to legionary troops: Replacing fs_swordsman with fs_spearman (I'm not sure if I'm 100% on the animation names) would make them fight more realistically with a thrusting motion of their swords (I've restricted my modding to Rome and BI,so I'm not sure if that'll work in Medieval 2).

PS - The ethnic name for the Bronze Shields is Chalcipides,I think,but not 100% sure.
    Last edited by Spartan198; 02-23-2008 at 17:27.

I did the same thing with my hoplite phalanxes (the fs_javelinman animation) and everyone told me they wouldn't thrust their spears,but mine do without any dislikable result.
    It would be nice to have a dedicated overhand spear animation, but I guess I'll have to wait until Signifer1 nails it and I ask very kindly to incorporate it.

Another thing related to legionary troops: Replacing fs_swordsman with fs_spearman (I'm not sure if I'm 100% on the animation names) would make them fight more realistically with a thrusting motion of their swords (I've restricted my modding to Rome and BI,so I'm not sure if that'll work in Medieval 2).
    I've been doing things like this for certain units: I've also given any units with curved swords the "mace" animation since stabbing looks a bit off with them, and some units with straight swords like the legions and those with rapiers have the "spear" animation.

PS - The ethnic name for the Bronze Shields is Chalcipides,I think,but not 100% sure.
    Sounds about right.

The Rome EB website is a good place for finding ethnic names for units,if you don't already have a good source.

Crazy idea: Would the game's elephant animations (charging,goring,etc.) suffice for the creation of Rhino cavalry for the Black Kingdoms factions?

You've already said in the past that there will be legionaries,but would there be any chance of a legionary shield wall formation of sorts? Kinda like a phalanx,but using swords in place of spears. I always thought that a special ability like that would have been far more useful to Roman legionaries in RTW than that entirely useless testudo.

Crazy idea: Would the game's elephant animations (charging,goring,etc.) suffice for the creation of Rhino cavalry for the Black Kingdoms factions?
    They would be perfectly sufficient (especially that one where it charges and tosses its head up and down like a nutcase). And spookily enough, I do have rhino cavalry planned, though not as how you might imagine... Unfortunately, this particular unit would be far off into the future, and after I actually model a rhino.

You've already said in the past that there will be legionaries,but would there be any chance of a legionary shield wall formation of sorts? Kinda like a phalanx,but using swords in place of spears. I always thought that a special ability like that would have been far more useful to Roman legionaries in RTW than that entirely useless testudo.
    Get out of my head! :D Yep, I gave the legions the shieldwall animation: a few bugs need to be sorted out, but it looks pretty good!

Get out of my head! :D
    I guess Conan fans are always on the same page,regardless of subject.

Edit: Hey,I surpassed my 300th post and never noticed.
    Last edited by Spartan198; 03-10-2008 at 07:32.

I guess Conan fans are always on the same page,regardless of subject.
    Try telling that to Messrs Richardson and Rippke!

Try telling that to Messrs Richardson and Rippke!
    Well,some of us,anyway.

Taranaich, I'm curious how you plan on handling the religion feature. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but religion doesn't seem to have been particularly important in Hyboria, at least as a cause of friction (outside of Stygian's abhorrent and blood-thirsty sect, of course) -- while culture was very important, particularly Hyborian vs. 'barbaric' vs. 'ancient' cultures.

Have you thought about using the religion mechanism to represent culture, as the Kingdoms Britannia campaign does? This would make it difficult for Hyborian cultures to expand into non-Hyborian regions, and vice-versa.

In fact, a comment you made earlier in this thread stood out to me:

The Heart of Ahriman will offer significant bonuses when fighting ancient cultures (Stygia, Kosala, Khitai, basically any that would have magic or monsters)

'Ancient' might be one of the cultures, along with Hyborian, Barbarian (or 'Savage') for the Picts, Cimmerians, and Northmen, and Eastern for the Hyrkanians and Turanians...

I'm not trying to speak for Tar,but I believe he said something about a civilization vs barbarism mechanic in another thread,but hasn't really expanded on it yet.

But that's just what I can remember right off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by cherryfunk
    Taranaich, I'm curious how you plan on handling the religion feature. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but religion doesn't seem to have been particularly important in Hyboria, at least as a cause of friction (outside of Stygian's abhorrent and blood-thirsty sect, of course) -- while culture was very important, particularly Hyborian vs. 'barbaric' vs. 'ancient' cultures.

Have you thought about using the religion mechanism to represent culture, as the Kingdoms Britannia campaign does? This would make it difficult for Hyborian cultures to expand into non-Hyborian regions, and vice-versa.
    That's indeed what I was planning on. Religion in the mod will be relegated more to it's role in Rome, in that it offers extras like units, stat increases and happiness/law bonuses. The "religion" mechanic will be replaced with a culture one: Hyborian, Barbarian, Savage, Ancient and Eastern. Like in the "Britannia" campaign, this will represent the problems which arise from sizeable populations of different cultures. If, say, Aquilonia conquers a Cimmerian province, they'll have the problem of being perhaps 5% Hyborian and 95% Barbarian, which would make holding and controlling the province incredibly difficult. Culture will also allow the recruitment of different regional units, again like in Britannia.

I'm not trying to speak for Tar,but I believe he said something about a civilization vs barbarism mechanic in another thread,but hasn't really expanded on it yet.
    The civilization vs barbarism will be replacing chivalry/dread, since I never liked that dichotomy. Surely a chivalrous man can be dreaded by his enemies, being generous and kindly to his subjects and soldiers but a sadistic monster to his foes? By changing this, a few of the decisions that affect those traits are hopefully a little more realistic: letting prisoners go is "civilized", and thus conforms to tradition and status quo among the nobility.

Therefore, a Hyborian character who releases prisoners is acting according to knightly codes and conduct, and so is being "civilized". Slaying prisoners is breaking those codes, and is viewed as dishonourable and "barbaric" by other characters. By contrast, a Barbarian who releases prisoners is seen as weak and foolish by other barbarians. Killing prisoners is simply pragmatic and accepted practise among barbarians, so killing prisoners reaffirms a character's resolve and status among barbarians.

Generally only the Hyborian nations are typically "civilized": Barbarians, Shemites and Easterners are usually "barbaric". Note that civilization/barbarism does not mean advanced/unadvanced: Turan is a barbaric nation, but its social and cultural mores are more savage than the unnatural and complicated ones of Aquilonia or Nemedia.

I'm unsure where Stygia will fit in here: the Stygian nobility might have a lot of rules and etiquette, but sacrificing prisoners would undoubtedly be useful for the clergy. Since Hyborians make up the majority of factions, so most factions would be viewed as "barbaric" by them...

That's indeed what I was planning on. Religion in the mod will be relegated more to it's role in Rome, in that it offers extras like units, stat increases and happiness/law bonuses. The "religion" mechanic will be replaced with a culture one: Hyborian, Barbarian, Savage, Ancient and Eastern. Like in the "Britannia" campaign, this will represent the problems which arise from sizeable populations of different cultures. If, say, Aquilonia conquers a Cimmerian province, they'll have the problem of being perhaps 5% Hyborian and 95% Barbarian, which would make holding and controlling the province incredibly difficult. Culture will also allow the recruitment of different regional units, again like in Britannia.
    Perfect! This should work really well, and add a great deal of challenge to the game. It will also tend to 'mold' the campaign into 'historical' channels -- if you're playing Cimmeria, you'll find it easier to expand into Barbaric regions, then into Hyborian ones. Stygia will run into all sorts of problems expanding north (and might have to exterminate a few cities to make them more manageable...) -- so more than just a clash of nations, the campaign will take on the aspect of a clash of cultures.

Now, I wonder if the priest/heretic dynamic can be modded to fit this? Could Priests represent, perhaps, men who espouse a particular culture? I'm trying to think of what this could be. Maybe something like bards/skalds for Barbaric, teachers/philosophers for Hyborian... or maybe they should remain Priests, but just represent the different pantheons...

The civilization vs barbarism will be replacing chivalry/dread, since I never liked that dichotomy. Surely a chivalrous man can be dreaded by his enemies, being generous and kindly to his subjects and soldiers but a sadistic monster to his foes? By changing this, a few of the decisions that affect those traits are hopefully a little more realistic: letting prisoners go is "civilized", and thus conforms to tradition and status quo among the nobility.
    This is an excellent idea, and it fits perfectly with the Hyborian universe -- after all the conflict of civilization vs. barbarism was a theme that REH explored though most of his writings. What more fitting way to represent it in the mod than have each character be Barbaric or Civilized? Wonderful idea!
    Last edited by cherryfunk; 03-30-2008 at 16:56.

Perfect! This should work really well, and add a great deal of challenge to the game. It will also tend to 'mold' the campaign into 'historical' channels -- if you're playing Cimmeria, you'll find it easier to expand into Barbaric regions, then into Hyborian ones. Stygia will run into all sorts of problems expanding north (and might have to exterminate a few cities to make them more manageable...) -- so more than just a clash of nations, the campaign will take on the aspect of a clash of cultures.
    Stygia will probably have the greatest difficulty with culture problems, since it's surrounded by Shemite and Savage land respectively, and it's already treated with suspicion by other nations. It's best bet would be the east: Kuthchemes and Zamboula were originally Stygian cities and so still have a strong Stygian populace, and the deserts are sparse enough that they can be pretty much populated with them.

Now, I wonder if the priest/heretic dynamic can be modded to fit this? Could Priests represent, perhaps, men who espouse a particular culture? I'm trying to think of what this could be. Maybe something like bards/skalds for Barbaric, teachers/philosophers for Hyborian... or maybe they should remain Priests, but just represent the different pantheons...
    I would very much like to keep priests in, as it offers more stuff for the player to control. As you said, the unit would have to be something that has control over a particular culture or population. I'm currently thinking the priest would be replaced with a basic unit (maybe Rhetoric, or Demagogue?), with each faction having their own particular slant on it based on who would have the most power and influence. For example, Cimmerians would have Bards, Nemedians would have philosophers, Picts would have Shamans, etc. Heretics would be something like "Sorcerers", with heresy replaced by "Dark Cults", since they seem the type to be always causing trouble (like in Black Colossus).

This is an excellent idea, and it fits perfectly with the Hyborian universe -- after all the conflict of civilization vs. barbarism was a theme that REH explored though most of his writings. What more fitting way to represent it in the mod than have each character be Barbaric or Civilized? Wonderful idea!
    Thanks, glad you like it! I felt no Howard mod would be complete without a civilization vs barbarism theme, and this seemed a good way to include it.

I would very much like to keep priests in, as it offers more stuff for the player to control. As you said, the unit would have to be something that has control over a particular culture or population. I'm currently thinking the priest would be replaced with a basic unit (maybe Rhetoric, or Demagogue?), with each faction having their own particular slant on it based on who would have the most power and influence. For example, Cimmerians would have Bards, Nemedians would have philosophers, Picts would have Shamans, etc. Heretics would be something like "Sorcerers", with heresy replaced by "Dark Cults", since they seem the type to be always causing trouble (like in Black Colossus).
    Once again you have this thought out very well, and I agree completely that we should keep Priests in -- it's a very cool feature of M2TW.

Since 'piety' determined a Priest's effectiveness, what would that be replaced with? 'Influence'? 'Charisma'?

Now, are Priests defined by culture, or by faction? Could the different Hyborian nations have different priest types? Either one would probably work, but it would be cool if they could be separate for each nation -- that would allow a little more 'personalization' for each culture.

The Sorcerer/Dark Cult idea would also work I think -- there are various hints throughout the stories of dark cults that linger in the dark recesses of Hyboria. I'm not sure that it makes sense for a Bard to defeat a Sorcerer, but we can find some way to make it work.

Once again you have this thought out very well, and I agree completely that we should keep Priests in -- it's a very cool feature of M2TW.
    The more agents available, the more the player can control is my philosophy regarding this.

Since 'piety' determined a Priest's effectiveness, what would that be replaced with? 'Influence'? 'Charisma'?
    Hmm, tricky one. I think something fairly universal like "authority" would work: it would mean how adept or skilled the character was in his chosen field, and thus his fame and influence.

Now, are Priests defined by culture, or by faction? Could the different Hyborian nations have different priest types? Either one would probably work, but it would be cool if they could be separate for each nation -- that would allow a little more 'personalization' for each culture.
    I think it's defined by religion itself, so that would mean one per culture. It could be possible to have different ones per culture, but I don't think it is sadly. Still, one per culture still offers lots of customization, and you'd also get upgrades (priests to cardinals could allow for Bards to become Warrior Poets, Philosophers become Sages, Shamans become Children of Jhebbal-Sag and so on)

The Sorcerer/Dark Cult idea would also work I think -- there are various hints throughout the stories of dark cults that linger in the dark recesses of Hyboria. I'm not sure that it makes sense for a Bard to defeat a Sorcerer, but we can find some way to make it work.
    In these cases, it's more a matter of the character gathering a small rabble to defeat the Sorcerer and his cult through force of arms: a Bard with high authority has more followers, and so can lead the mob to destroy the cult. One with low authority can only scrounge together a small group, and would fail to overcome the cult: they could either escape with their lives, or be enslaved by the cult for their own dark purposes.

Hmm, tricky one. I think something fairly universal like "authority" would work: it would mean how adept or skilled the character was in his chosen field, and thus his fame and influence.
    Sure, that might do the trick. Or some similar term; influence, power, prestige, persuasion, conviction, zeal, notability...

I think it's defined by religion itself, so that would mean one per culture. It could be possible to have different ones per culture, but I don't think it is sadly. Still, one per culture still offers lots of customization, and you'd also get upgrades (priests to cardinals could allow for Bards to become Warrior Poets, Philosophers become Sages, Shamans become Children of Jhebbal-Sag and so on)
    Sounds good, and it'll definitely add some atmosphere to have these characters wandering around fighting to spread their culture. That's one element of M2TW I really like -- the sense that the factions themselves are players in a larger, global struggle between cultures. And it fits in very well with Howard's writings...

In these cases, it's more a matter of the character gathering a small rabble to defeat the Sorcerer and his cult through force of arms: a Bard with high authority has more followers, and so can lead the mob to destroy the cult. One with low authority can only scrounge together a small group, and would fail to overcome the cult: they could either escape with their lives, or be enslaved by the cult for their own dark purposes.
    I like it, it almost has a Dungeons and Dragons feel to it, as if each character represents a hero -- we could even use anciliaries to give them a 'party' of companions, say a Skald who has been joined by a Heroic Warrior and a Tribal Shaman, giving his 'Authority' a big boost... all sorts of possibilities with this!

Sure, that might do the trick. Or some similar term; influence, power, prestige, persuasion, conviction, zeal, notability...
    Yeah, we'll have to find the most inclusive (and cool sounding).

Sounds good, and it'll definitely add some atmosphere to have these characters wandering around fighting to spread their culture. That's one element of M2TW I really like -- the sense that the factions themselves are players in a larger, global struggle between cultures. And it fits in very well with Howard's writings...
    For all the war and carnage going on, people are certainly well-travelled in the Hyborian Age. I'm particularly struck by that mention of a "wandering Shemite" describing an elephant to Conan in Tower of the Elephant: it would be nice for such a character to get a nod.

I like it, it almost has a Dungeons and Dragons feel to it, as if each character represents a hero -- we could even use anciliaries to give them a 'party' of companions, say a Skald who has been joined by a Heroic Warrior and a Tribal Shaman, giving his 'Authority' a big boost... all sorts of possibilities with this!
    That's a brilliant idea! I think making the strat-map characters more interesting and complicated would be crucial to making them as important and engaging as the generals. A lot of people just gave up on merchants and priests since they offered so little reward, but I think they are important for the growth and wellbeing of a kingdom beyond the battlefield. Anything to make the campaign as enjoyable as possible instead of a stop-gap between the battles.

I originally posted this comment in the "Beasts" thread, but I think it might be worthy of being in the suggestion box.

"I wonder if you could script in some treasure... i.e. if your FM or troops reach a certain gridsquare or resource, they get 10,000 gold or whatever... or conversly, by defeating a certain brigand (ice giant... Demon, snake whatever) you could script money to be given to the player to simulate finding a hoard... Maybe even with an announcement showing someone finding treasure! (comic book style..)"

This was in the context of having treasure hunting expiditions against some of those vicious beasts mentioned in that thread, but it would actually be a useful and unique gameplay element that might not be that hard to implement (I don't know anything about scripting though...) Still, rewards were given in RTW by the senate, and in MTW2 by the pope for completing missions, so it should be possible one way or another...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast