Thread: Quick question for people who know Latin...

Default Quick question for people who know Latin...

Hey fellas.... I need some help here, I am making a drawing and I need to introduce the words "ghost shield" in Latin in a part of the drawing. Does anyone how to write that in Latin?
    (Unfortunatly is not an EB related work, but I plan on making a few once I get this done).

Thanks in advanced

Asia ton Barbaron mapper Member Pharnakes's Avatar

Smile Re: Quick question for people who know Latin...

What's a ghost shield?
    Asia ton Barbaron The new eastern mod for eb!

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

Nascent Veteran Member Tiberius of the Drake's Avatar

Default Re: Quick question for people who know Latin...

Umbra=Ghost and scutum=shield

Im pretty sure together it would be "Umbrae Scutum" or in direct latin a shield of ghost.
    "Something can be done, by careful analysis, to sort out truth from propaganda and legend. But this is where the real difficulties begin, since each student inevitably selects, constitutes criteria, according to his own unconscious assumptions, social, ethical or political. Moral conditioning, in the widest sense, plays a far greater part in the matter than most people- especially the historians themselves-ever realize."
    -Peter Green

I made it up....

To give you an idea, thing about "Starcraft" and the energy shield the Protoss have, or think about the movie "Independence Day" and the invisible shield the alien ships have.

Its a lot like that... only that its covers a good part of a solar system, instead of just individial buildings, ships, or people, I mean, aliens.

I hope that makes sence.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius of the Drake
    Umbra=Ghost and scutum=shield

Im pretty sure together it would be "Umbrae Scutum" or in direct latin a shield of ghost.
    cool.... thx man

You mean like the magnetic/whatever/whatchamacallit field that the sun projects for a couple of light years around the Solar System?

That sounds interesting.

Celtic Cataphracts!!!! Member The Celt's Avatar

Cool Re: Quick question for people who know Latin...

Quote Originally Posted by gran_guitarra
    You mean like the magnetic/whatever/whatchamacallit field that the sun projects for a couple of light years around the Solar System?

That sounds interesting.
    You mean the Gravitational pull?
    Achtungaz!!! You vill all zavmit to zeh Svveboz!!!!

Currently rising to power as:

It seems unlikely the Romans had a term for an inter-galactic forcefield designed to repel enemy invasions

But I'm no Latin buff myself so I wouldn't really know
    Last edited by Imperator; 07-01-2007 at 22:34.
    Currently Playing as:

If you like EB, you'll love:
    https://www.ancient-warfare.com/cms/

I'm not really sure what it is, but I know it doesn't have to do with gravity.
    Its something about a radiation that is projected by the Sun which forms a kind of Ozone Layer equivalent around the Solar System.
    I can't really be more specific because it was only mentioned once in my physics class in passing, and the teacher didn't elaborate on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator
    It seems unlikely the Romans had a term for an inter-galactic forcefield designed to rebel enemy invasions

But I'm no Latin buff myself so I wouldn't really know
    Limus Universalis?

Quote Originally Posted by The Celt
    Limus Universalis?
    LOL!

Fellas.... don't try open a physics book to figure out what I am talking about, I am making it up as I go along. HOWEVER, if u guys know something I don't know about how such a thing could be done, let me know. I am open to suggestions to make it seem more "Real".

Anywho this is what I have come up with so far....
    -Its a force field like that found in Independence Day and the Protoss.
    -6 big moons where taken out of orbit from a planet/s and put in pairs in the X, Y, Z axis of the sun.
    -The moons don't move or rotate they are stationary.
    -Some wierd s*** was dug deep into the moons and some other wierd s*** was put on top of that projecting out into space. More wierd s*** was build around it. Kind of like a giant force field generator using Heat (q) from the planets core to do Work (w) in the generator, and turn that Energy (E) into a Force Field. (I think that makes sence).
    -Some crasy geomery and s*** like that was used so that the Force Field produced by each moon connects with the other moons. Thereby, everything inside the 6-points is protected.
    -The force field can't be broken through, and nothing can pass though it. UNLESS, its an alien space ship which has its own forcefield and some other s*** that allows it pass through like it was air.
    -The suns gravety and the force field are opposite forces to eachother thus locking the moons in place.

I hope that makes sence............... if u guys want to add something to make it more "Believable" feel free.

p.s to destroy the "Umbrae Scutum" (thx Tiberius of the Drake) Humans will have to land in any one of the moons in the exposed side. Manouver to that field generator and destroy it using ground vehicles, infrantry, and low flying aircraft.
    Last edited by NeoSpartan; 07-02-2007 at 01:18.

Asia ton Barbaron mapper Member Pharnakes's Avatar

Smile Re: Quick question for people who know Latin...

And you want all this for a picture, sounds more like a book to me.
    Asia ton Barbaron The new eastern mod for eb!

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

Cool Re: Quick question for people who know Latin...

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSpartan
    LOL!

Fellas.... don't try open a physics book to figure out what I am talking about, I am making it up as I go along. HOWEVER, if u guys know something I don't know about how such a thing could be done, let me know. I am open to suggestions to make it seem more "Real".

Anywho this is what I have come up with so far....
    -Its a force field like that found in Independence Day and the Protoss.
    -6 big moons where taken out of orbit from a planet/s and put in pairs in the X, Y, Z axis of the sun.
    -The moons don't move or rotate they are stationary.
    -Some wierd s*** was dug deep into the moons and some other wierd s*** was put on top of that projecting out into space. More wierd s*** was build around it. Kind of like a giant force field generator using Heat (q) from the planets core to do Work (w) in the generator, and turn that Energy (E) into a Force Field. (I think that makes sence).
    -Some crasy geomery and s*** like that was used so that the Force Field produced by each moon connects with the other moons. Thereby, everything inside the 6-points is protected.
    -The force field can't be broken through, and nothing can pass though it. UNLESS, its an alien space ship which has its own forcefield and some other s*** that allows it pass through like it was air.
    -The suns gravety and the force field are opposite forces to eachother thus locking the moons in place.

I hope that makes sence............... if u guys want to add something to make it more "Believable" feel free.

p.s to destroy the "Umbrae Scutum" (thx Tiberius of the Drake) Humans will have to land in any one of the moons in the exposed side. Manouver to that field generator and destroy it using ground vehicles, infrantry, and low flying aircraft.
    So, judging by that description, it would look like a rabbit?

Wise and Partially Handsome Member Jarardo's Avatar

I'd like to see the picture
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

www.EuropaBarbarorum.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Celt
    So, judging by that description, it would look like a rabbit?
    LMAO!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jarardo
    I'd like to see the picture
    OK here it is!

SIKE!

Nahhh... Actually the I have a few EARLY sketches of what it MAY look like at the end. Right now I needed the name because it will be used on the current painting.

The name will go under a scope similar to the one in the scetch (although I may tweak it a little bit, so far I have 2 types of scopes)

This scope will go on top-center-right of the screens on the actual painting. However, I need to RE-DO the entire center row. It didn't come out well.

Bellow are just the few scteches I've made so far of how the Umbrae Scutum will look like.

I think I might go for something like the last scetch, is more "alien".

In my next work I will show part of it on the top right corner. This is the final mini-scetch of my next drawing. (will be a pencil drawing, got tired of colors)

well, it could b solar wind... If ut were strong enough it could pretty much stop anything from entering that feld... then again, ehose moons would probably be toast if it were that strong... If it was a magnetic field than any non-conducting object should be able to pass trough it... I don't know either way it's wierd what you mention and I don't think it's even possible.

Cheers...